Crabtree signs with the Bucs

H

HardRightEdge

It's a doubly bad day for the Finley haters. First Jennings, now this.

Crabtree was a good role player and seemingly a good citizen. Sorry to see him go.

Francois re-signed with us, for what it's worth.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oy. Few players bridged the gap between the team and the fans better than Tom Crabtree. He'll be missed.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes no sense at all right now. He cost virtually nothing. We are not talking the 50 mil for jennings. We were talking about 1.3. Crabtree was getting better and did so many little things well. Why in the hell would ted care about saving an entire 1.3 million. If this is done solely to let clay and rodgers break the bank I am going to be pissed. You win with 53 guys on a roster.....not 2 billionaires.

Hopefully in time this makes more sense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a role player and we have a plethora of TEs. Hopefully another in the draft

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a role player and we have a plethora of TEs. Hopefully another in the draft
He was more than just a backup TE. He could play FB, was the point man on kick attempts. He could play that H-back spot. He was better than Kuhn at this point and half the cost yet he is gone and Kuhn is still around to gain 0 yards per attempt and block.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes no sense at all right now. He cost virtually nothing. We are not talking the 50 mil for jennings. We were talking about 1.3. Crabtree was getting better and did so many little things well. Why in the hell would ted care about saving an entire 1.3 million. If this is done solely to let clay and rodgers break the bank I am going to be pissed. You win with 53 guys on a roster.....not 2 billionaires.

Hopefully in time this makes more sense.

We aren't going to win a championship having just two superstars.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see everyone's point of view above here...... and it makes me wonder why we are paying so much $ to a crappy kicker... and although I love Koon, he's also overpaid.

But about Crabtree: IMO, there are about 50 TE's available in this draft who are as good as he is.
He's a solid blocker, average hands, almost-average speed.

Lotta guys coming out now who can provide what he provides.

But losing Driver, Woodson, Jennings, Walden..... lotta team chemistry out the door and to not be able to keep Crabtree seems odd.

Ted loves to draft though.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see everyone's point of view above here...... and it makes me wonder why we are paying so much $ to a crappy kicker... and although I love Koon, he's also overpaid.

But about Crabtree: IMO, there are about 50 TE's available in this draft who are as good as he is.
He's a solid blocker, average hands, almost-average speed.

Lotta guys coming out now who can provide what he provides.

But losing Driver, Woodson, Jennings, Walden..... lotta team chemistry out the door and to not be able to keep Crabtree seems odd.

Ted loves to draft though.

He'd better have a gazillion draft picks. As far as Crabtree I don't think losing him is a big blow. It's the accumulating losses. We can't satisfy them all with just the draft.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Stocking up on 2014 compensatory draft picks. Won't be able to afford vets after paying CM3 and Arodg.
If Crabtree plays the same role with Tampa that he played for us, I doubt he'll yield a compensatory pick. He'll need more snaps and stats for that to happen.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stocking up on 2014 compensatory draft picks. Won't be able to afford vets after paying CM3 and Arodg.
Those two are going to start to harbor some resentment if they demand massive record setting contracts and handcuff the team for the future.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He "sings" with the Buccaneers? He sounds like a regular Johnny Depp. Oh well ..... Sorry to see him go, but glad to see him - like so many other Packers take some other team for a lot more money than he was worth. One good hit on a 4th or 5th round pick of a big possession receiver TE would more than cover losing Crabtree and the probable loss of Finley.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to agree with Thompson's decision here. D.J Williams ready to step up, Ryan Taylor ready to step up, Andrew Quarless coming back from his injury and Finley likely to take a leading role in the offense. Crabtree was good, dependable and hilarious on Twitter, but want really explosive and didn't seem exactly special. Not to mention the compensatory pick we get for the guy. As far as those saying "well we can't replace all these guys in one draft, or we atleast need a few FA's" is most certainly wrong. Year in and year out we let some guys walk and don't replace them in FA. We replace them in the draft and UDFA. Heck, remember the one year when all we signed was Frank Walker? didn't cripple us at all. TT continues to keep following the successful formula and I support it.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think Poppa was referring to just the loss of Crabtree HRE.

Well, it is a Crabtree thread and the statement was not qualified.

To your point...Jennings for sure, Walden too with that contract, probably Jones once he moves on. If anybody wants to grab Shields, we'd get a second rounder there. Of course, those comp picks will be washed out by the offsetting FA starters we'll be signing.:confused:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to agree with Thompson's decision here. D.J Williams ready to step up, Ryan Taylor ready to step up, Andrew Quarless coming back from his injury and Finley likely to take a leading role in the offense. Crabtree was good, dependable and hilarious on Twitter, but want really explosive and didn't seem exactly special. Not to mention the compensatory pick we get for the guy. As far as those saying "well we can't replace all these guys in one draft, or we atleast need a few FA's" is most certainly wrong. Year in and year out we let some guys walk and don't replace them in FA. We replace them in the draft and UDFA. Heck, remember the one year when all we signed was Frank Walker? didn't cripple us at all. TT continues to keep following the successful formula and I support it.

What exactly have you seen from Williams or Ryan Taylor to indicate they are ready to step up?

After signing Frank Walker the Packers finished 6-10.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to
What exactly have you seen from Williams or Ryan Taylor to indicate they are ready to step up?

After signing Frank Walker the Packers finished 6-10.
Nothing, that is the point. They need playing time.

That is probably a bad example to pick that year. Last year we only had one FA make it past week 3 or 4 and we finished 10-6. In 2011 we signed 0 FA's to make the game day roster to start the year and finished 15-1. (not counting UDFA's)

Members online