covid will trash the 2021 cap.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers will have to shed contracts/talent. it's time. trade jones now and get something for him, release rodgers and bakhtiari (and whoever else to get by) next off-season. this puts this last draft into some perspective.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought that the draft last month was in part due to uncertainty about the pandemic and economics. College football probably isn't going to happen (or at least not all the teams) which means the 2021 draft is going to be even more of a crapshoot since you won't have current tape on many draftees. Then, of course, there is the economic side. Less money coming in, less money to pay out for bonuses and now, probably a reduced cap. That means they need to shed $ and the biggest contract is Rodgers and a necessity to get a cheap back because Jones isn't going to be paid by the Packers.

If that was their thought going in, it was an calculated gamble that this season would be at best, bad economically and at worst, lost.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers will have to shed contracts/talent. it's time. trade jones now and get something for him, release rodgers and bakhtiari (and whoever else to get by) next off-season. this puts this last draft into some perspective.

Pretty radical recommendation Gary. Then again, these are drastic times calling for drastic actions.

I’d actually be OK with this, with one exception. We gotta keep ARod, until, that is, we don’t.

I still believe he has 3 or 4 years of well-above-average play in him. He’s just not a guy I would ever count out.

As for Jones and Bak, they won’t get another contract extension with GB, IMO. So if this season gets cancelled or altered in some way, maybe it is a way to get always needed draft capital, as well as trade compensation.

Thanks for thinking large!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut or trade. How much is actually saved after including a competent replacement.
Yeah and especially at QB. I, for one, am NOT in favor of throwing Love to the wolves. He has promise, but let’s be real.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis on this issue at CBSSports basically says that owners and players will agree to borrow against future earnings and just have a flat cap for 2 years or small increases in the cap for 2-3 years. The portion of the article (which I've linked below) that appears most relevant is about Article 12, Section 1 of the CBA, which says:

"f… AR (all revenue) for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action."

Owners certainly don't want to have to start cutting star players and players don't want to be cut. The NFL, as a business, is smart enough to do that rather than assure the break up of the best teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-a-major-salary-cap-hit-because-of-covid-19/

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Mlb guaranteed contracts. Just read Prince Fielder will get $24 million from the Rangers and he hasn't played since 2016

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
T
:eek: How does he cope ?
He article said that he could be the highest paid person in MLB if the union agrees to prorata salaries for an 80 game season... again hasn't played since 2016. LMAO... Brewers got out of that one at least.

OP
OP
gbgary

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut or trade. How much is actually saved after including a competent replacement.
love will be the replacement. they already knew they'd have next to no cap room in 2021 with Rodgers drawing $36m. covid just insured the contract dump would be more drastic than they thought. cutting Rodgers after 2020 would save them $5m. I think I read they can split the dead cap charge over two years if they trade him. that could make the 2021 covid bite easier to take.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
love will be the replacement. they already knew they'd have next to no cap room in 2021 with Rodgers drawing $36m. covid just insured the contract dump would be more drastic than they thought. cutting Rodgers after 2020 would save them $5m. I think I read they can split the dead cap charge over two years if they trade him. that could make the 2021 covid bite easier to take.
I said competent. I will not give the term competent to someone who has never taken a snap in the NFL, not even in practice.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if Rodgers would be open to re adjust his contract.

Reaction score
Well if the cap is lowered? Everyone’s in trouble, 32 teams wide. Those FA holdouts wanting top dog $ are gonna get a rude awakening.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be smart to wait until the NFL publishes official numbers for the 2021 season before panicking based on a random report.

I wonder if Rodgers would be open to re adjust his contract.

The Packers just restructured Rodgers' contract at the end of last season.

OP
OP
gbgary

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said competent. I will not give the term competent to someone who has never taken a snap in the NFL, not even in practice.
no...but by then he'll have taken snaps. they're not going to get a veteran qb either. no...it's love's job the day rodgers is gone. he'll be fine. they'll be fine. MLF's O doesn't ask the QB to be a miracle worker. just be on time.

D

Deleted member 6794

most likely. we'll have a bit of a clue though...after two preseasons and one honest off-season. the coaches will know even sooner. lol.

Front offices and coaching staffs around the league are wrong in their evaluation of quarterbacks who have started games in this league a lot of times. I highly doubt they will be able to make a definite decision on Love after preseason snaps only.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I highly doubt that the league will cut the cap significantly in 2021. I'm sure it won't go up like it has been, but I don't think it will get slashed either. They've raised each franchise's debt ceiling, and most teams have reserves. Additionally, we don't know what games/revenue will look like in the fall.

I think this kind of stuff is chicken little, and premature.

OP
OP
gbgary

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Front offices and coaching staffs around the league are wrong in their evaluation of quarterbacks who have started games in this league a lot of times. I highly doubt they will be able to make a definite decision on Love after preseason snaps only.
"definite decision?" i said they'd have a clue.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that the league will cut the cap significantly in 2021. I'm sure it won't go up like it has been, but I don't think it will get slashed either. They've raised each franchise's debt ceiling, and most teams have reserves. Additionally, we don't know what games/revenue will look like in the fall.

I think this kind of stuff is chicken little, and premature.

As I pointed out above, the cap will probably only rise a little, or remain flat for a few seasons; it's not going down this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts