1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cover story

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DePack, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It's worth the extra X million dollars. If you have someone that is tied to a murder through DNA, witnesses etc conviced by a jury of their peers and execution has been approved by a panel of judges (as they do here in NE), light 'em up.

I am, of course, basing this all off the case at hand. This pile of crap cut apart our friend with a sword. Then cut up furniture in the house, cleaned the walls, ceiling etc to try and cover it up. Light him up. Simple.

2. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just don't see what is wrong with locking the guy up for life with no chance of being set free. The guy would be miserable for the rest of his life, and I know that if I had to choose between spending the rest of my life in prison having no choices about anything I do, and death, I would probably rather die. I think it is worse as a punishment, and is much more humane at the same time.

3. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    UPDATE

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    She could have been pregnant, and this shitbag murdered her. Hope he rots.

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Life in prison or the death penalty, he is in prison for the rest of his life.

So why have him cost the taxpayers money for his appeals, to feed, heat, clothe, guard, medically care for him, launder his clothes, buy books and cable TV, maintain bars, barbed wire and concrete.

Why should he be permitted to teach his behavior to other prisoners? If he is never getting out, why keep him in? This guy will live for 60 more years at $45K a year in expenses in current dollars. Why not save the taxpayers over 2.5 million dollars by bringing about the eventual, now.

There are crimes so bad that the perpetrators should not continue to exist.
    This is one of them.

6. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    lookin at his picture, he would get destroyed in prison. off to protective custody you go b!tch!!!

7. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, it costs more money to put a guy on death row than to put them in prison for life. Even if it didn't, I don't understand how anybody could kill people because it saves them money. Murdering murderers is still murder. I don't know how you can teach somebody in prison how to kill somebody, especially when you get caught. I don't think there are any people that go to prison for burglary or whatever and meet a killer that is serving life in prison and decide that they should kill somebody as well.

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    SuperRat is right, it has been proven to cost more to execute someone that it does to keep them in prison for life. Would it make me feel better this piece of sh!t that HACKED APART ONE OF MY PERSONAL FRIENDS with a 26" sword was killed? Yeah I would be ok sleeping at night.

She was prenant, they just haven't "released it officially". That's what she was going over there that night to tell him.

9. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    capital punishment is too humane these days anyway. i think the lethal injection puts you under before it does you in...i could be wrong on that one though.

10. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually there has been studies that it messes up quite often and many of the people put to death by lethal injection can feel intense pain but are paralyzed by the drugs so nobody else can tell. Not very humane.

11. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    there's 2 counts.

he'll get whats coming to him im sure..

12. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    sweet!

13. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I think this goes back to the abortion case, which defines when the fetus is considered a person. If it was in the early stages, I wouldn't think it would be 2 counts.

14. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think most states have it so that if the victim is pregnant it counts as two counts. Abortion and killing a pregnant person are very different.

15. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you are indeed correct. I was just using the thinking that perhaps the 2 counts would depend on the stage of the fetus, as I believe it was defined that a fetus is not considered a "person" until it is past the first trimester. They are indeed two distinct and different things, but I was using the judgement per Row v. Wade as a guidelines to figure out when a fetus would be considered a person, and thus you could have two counts of murder. :)

16. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ryan

This is truly awful. My prayers are with you, and with all of Jessica's family and friends.

Chris

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    SuperRat....I love your conviction on taking a very unpopular stance and sticking with it with class.

I am against the death penalty for all the same reasons, however, I reserve the right to change my mind should anything as horrific as this ever happen to a family member or friend like it has to Ryan. I think if I was in Ryan's shoes I would want to see this guys nutts on a block or ice being smashed by a sledgehammer until he dies of shear pain.

I know zero will call me an a$$kisser but I admire your restraint, Ryan, on this thread. It could have gotten real ugly.

18. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ohh intense pain? Like when he hacked our friend up? Sign him up for that one.

I am all for respeting everyone's opinions and I thank SuperRat for voicing his. The fact is though that this POS killed our friend. Not only that he hacked her up with a sword and won't tell anyone where he put her and THEIR UNBORN CHILD. They did however say that there was some of his blood on the sword so I hope she put up a good fight :)

Now the reality is, I believe, he won't even have to worry about the death penalty since it was murder 2. So am I really forcing it down anyone's throat? Nah, it's not really even an issue, just a "nice to think about" situation.

19. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Superrat...the death penalty would function as a deterrant IF it were implemented with consistency. Most assholes like this know that they will live out their lives in prison before their endless appeals run out....'cept of course in Texas.

DNA evidence changes the game and the constant cry of "innocents being put to death accidentally".

Streamline the appeals process (mucho reduction in the cost of the process), provide a fair trial/appeal with competent representation, and let the ****** fry; insert the needle; or whatever.

Our system is horrifically flawed. Recently in MN a judge gave a 3 time convicted child molester $1500 bail on a new charge against a child. He paid, skipped out, went west and killed a mom and dad taking their son (soon found dead in a shallow grave) and a daughter found in the same state after being sexually abused. They believe he is responsible for other murders in his short time free.

There are certain acts committed against others that should automatically revoke the perpetrators license to be amongst us.

Golly gee wizz, SR..perhaps if we didn't incur the cost of keeping these rejects alive we could direct that money to those who might actually be helped.

P.S. They get better health/dental than most of us. What a price.

20. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Superrat...funny how you are willing to make the distinction between abortion and murder, and yet you refuse to acknowledge the distinctions between murder and execution.

I am no holier than thou pro-lifer (although I do believe there should be restrictions on late-term, partial birth abortions), but to support abortion, which takes the most innocent of lives, and to denounce execution, which rids society of human refuse, is pretty big for most to swallow.

Right or wrong, abortion takes a life that has comitted no wrong other than being inconvenient, whereas execution takes a life that has proven itself unworthy of human compassion.

I have a hard time reconciling your position on this matter.

21. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Abortion consists of a woman choosing what she wants to do with her body. Stopping the creation of another life before the life actually begins, it is not the taking of a life. Being pro death penalty and a pro-lifer is most definately a contradiction and even the Catholic church is anti death penalty. It all depends on if you believe whether or not life begins at conception, and personally I do not believe it does so to me it isn't a contradiction though I do understand how people that have different beliefs could think that. Also as a male, even if I did believe that life begins at conception I don't think I would be qualified to be anti-abortion because I am not a woman so it wouldn't affect me in any way.

22. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    SuperRat,

DNA evidence removes ANY potential for an innocent being executed.

While you cite the cruelty/inhumane nature of execution (the darlings actually MAY feel pain but are unable to indicate it when given the needle), you defend your "life in prison" stance in a previous post by stating that it would be "miserable/misery for the prisoner.

Pretty selective in your cruelties, aren't you.

PS When utilized (which it is not to any great degree) the death penalty IS a deterrant.

23. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    digs....I'm intentionally staying back because it is not a popular belief but DNA does NOT remove any potential for an innocent being executed. They found enough of O.J.'s DNA, they practically found her head in his pants pocket, but he got off. DNA helps but it is not the difference maker in all cases. Unfortunately money is more of a difference maker when it comes to the death penalty. Some innocent people will always be executed by mistake, just like some guilty people will always be able to beat the rap. Usually the common denominator is money and, I'm going to take heat here, but race/social status which in many cases is associated with money.

The death penalty is not really a deterrant. People that do these things are not really thinking about the consequences of getting caught.

24. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My reference to DNA was when a criminal has DNA tying him/her to the crime...not the ability of celebrity/money being sufficiently persuasive to overrule DNA evidence.

Really, a bullet should have found OJ's cranium by now. I am sadly disappointed.

25. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There are two aspects to deterrence which are considered when imposing a sentence: general deterrence and specific deterrence. While statistics indicate that the death penalty is not often effective as a general deterrent, i.e. among society at large, it is effective as a specific deterrent i.e. it prevents the one scumbag from ever killing again.

Moreover, the fact that the death penalty, according to statistics at least, is not often a general deterrent actually strengthens the argument in favour of the death penalty. If the prospect of losing one's own life does not serve to deter one from killing another human being, such a person is not capable of rehabilitation, which is one of the purposes of prison sentences (I'll leave aside whether they are actually successful at achieving this result), and thus should be put to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.