Cousins, rodgers....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how this trend of the most recent qb contract being "the biggest contract in NFL history"....every time?
I mean flacco was highest paid? Stafford was highest paid? cousins will be?...I mean these guys are good but not the best... #12 is the best.....

So how does cousins contract even relate to what #12 is worth. It's goofy.....if cousins gets 28. Then proportionately Rodgers should be worth 40... imo. Or if Rodgers justifiably becomes the highest paid player in the league, at say $30... then cousins should be worth 20-22 possibly. Right?

So why when say Mathew Stafford's deal comes up a couple years ago. Why are the lions seemingly obligated to make him the highest paid qb in the league? When he hasn't won....anything. ?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
timing really. but since we are getting close to rodgers last season and he signed a contract far before all the ridiculousness it puts pressure on us.

Reaction score
This seeing you and raising you QB contract controversy is eventually going to create a bubble that pops.
Then it’s back to “Cash for Clunkers NFL Version” we’ll all be trading in our old QBs trying to save mileage and asking the NFL for a rebate. :eek:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Vikings "break the bank" for Cousins......Paying top dollar for a QB who has never won a playoff game is a good way to put your team in salary cap purgatory for years to come.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
timing really. but since we are getting close to rodgers last season and he signed a contract far before all the ridiculousness it puts pressure on us.

I agree its timing but when we signed Rodgers last time I think things were also ridiculous in terms of one upping the competition, its just that the money wasn't as ridiculous to stand out as much. For as long as I can remember it seems each year or two saw a new highest paid player regardless of ability level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Vikings "break the bank" for Cousins......Paying top dollar for a QB who has never won a playoff game is a good way to put your team in salary cap purgatory for years to come.

Paying top dollar for a QB who has won playoff games may not be such a good idea either if it hampers your ability to put a solid team around him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Cousins will immediately narrow their window of opportunity. I would say they have 3 years to do it.

Look at Seattle. They only had a year maybe 2 after Russell cashed in. Now look at them. They are dropping stars left and right.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Cousins will immediately narrow their window of opportunity. I would say they have 3 years to do it.

Look at Seattle. They only had a year maybe 2 after Russell cashed in. Now look at them. They are dropping stars left and right.

Which doesn't have much, if anything, to do with Wilson's contract. Injuries are the main culprit for them (Sherman, Avril, Chancellor).

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cap keeps on increasing, so will dollar amounts. Have to look at percentage of cap.

This is a really basic way of looking at it, but it's easier.

Rodgers signed a 5/110 in 2013. At the time, it roughly equates to 18% of the salary cap. With the new salary cap set at $177 million, 18% of that is roughly $32/M year.

Make sense now?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paying top dollar for a QB who has won playoff games may not be such a good idea either if it hampers your ability to put a solid team around him.

They already have a solid team. I'm betting signing Cousins won't change that.

Reaction score
stupid owners are the problem....

Stupid owners?????
How about stupid fans that continuously pay for over prices to see a game.
Or stupid fans shelling out $$$$$ for preferred parking and other perks to see a game.

Here's one: Check the prices for Packer attire in the pro shop with the NFL logo.

I'll be leaving now to take my meds.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how this trend of the most recent qb contract being "the biggest contract in NFL history"....every time?
I don't mean to be negative, but I just have this gnawing feeling:
I'm very happy about all the offseason changes for sure, but I look around the conference and I wonder if it might be too little too late.
We're going to pay Rodgers a ton of money in his new contract. Check the stats about Super Bowl champions and the quarterback's pay as a percentage of the salary cap.
Meanwhile, it looks like there are a lot of up and coming teams in the NFC, and they are coming up fast. While we may have hit a period of decline, if last year is any indication. And do we have the cap space to turn it around?

I know we have Rodgers so that alone puts us in the conversation, but we've seen that he can't do it alone.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's definitely a way to put a solid team around an expensive quarterback. Unfortunately the Packers haven't been able to achieve that over the past few years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
and i thought Rodgers MIGHT be the first fully guaranteed. lol
that's like 5 straight years cousins has been fully guaranteed. #BANK

Pretty Pathetic when you think about it. If he would ever make it into the Hall of Fame, I think they should just put a "bust of a safe" on a pedestal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s the Vikings. It’s who they are. They win free agency every year and still have an empty trophy case.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt that aside of the quarterback position this statement is true.
I see the Vikings have won the offseason again, and are the paper champions once again. Haven't seen that for awhile.
They look to be formidable opponents this year though, for sure.
The sports commentators are saying it's Minnesota's division for the next several years. Well, we'll see.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts