Courtney Upshaw or Whitney Mercilus

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If either of these guys are on the board when the Packers are up to draft, we need to pick them. These guys are two of the best and most athletic pass rushers in college football.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw did not impress at the Combines. Scouts were expecting him to be more explosive. He wasn't. Ingram, Perry, Branch, Cox, and Mercilus had better showings.

Does that mean we shouldn't take him if he falls to 28? Combine performance is one thing which does give an idea of on-the-field performance, but amazing athletes with great body size don't often translate into great NFL players.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really expect Teddy has one guy in mind, and will look to trade UP for once.
Too bad we still have about 8 LOOOOONG weeks to wait.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really expect Teddy has one guy in mind, and will look to trade UP for once.
Too bad we still have about 8 LOOOOONG weeks to wait.

I'm sort of expecting this too. I have a feeling that there's going to be 3 or 4 guys at various positions that TT would really like to have and he's going to trade up to get one of them.

And if I had to venture a guess, I think that player would be Fletcher Cox or Whitney Mercilus.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw did not impress at the Combines. Scouts were expecting him to be more explosive. He wasn't. Ingram, Perry, Branch, Cox, and Mercilus had better showings.

Does that mean we shouldn't take him if he falls to 28? Combine performance is one thing which does give an idea of on-the-field performance, but amazing athletes with great body size don't often translate into great NFL players.
I hope Upshaw falls to us. He may not be the superstar everyone thought, but the guy will be a major upgrade for us.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Upshaw is too heavy to play in our scheme as an OLB. I don't think he'd be very effective dropping into zone coverage with how slow he appears to be. At 274 he's probably going to end up playing DE in a 4-3. I'd rather have Mercilus, Irvin or Curry if we are looking for an OLB

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like many have stated, Upshaw has literally 0% chance of dropping to us. But thats OK with me. He didnt look dynamic at all at the combine. Poor change of direction, stop start and speed. Bad vertical jump, bad broad jump. Of course this doesnt guarantee he wont be a good NFL player but its a good indication that he probably wont be the same dynamic player that he was in college due to the huge upgrade in competion hes going to see. Mercilis isnt a 3-4 OLB, neither is the USC guy.

If a good OLB or DE that fits the 3-4 doesnt drop to us or some player at another position that is just to good to pass up isnt around when we pick, I think TT should trade down and draft a player worthy of the pick. I have a feeling thats how its gonna play out, of course unless TT trades up for somebody.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Irvin or Andre Branch seem like the only 2 "not so risky" guys, everyone else seems to be a better fit for a 4-3. I still like Vinny Curry but he had a pretty sad 40 time, doesn't mean he can't be the guy there's just not a solid standout OLB... Which sucks.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Irvin or Andre Branch seem like the only 2 "not so risky" guys, everyone else seems to be a better fit for a 4-3. I still like Vinny Curry but he had a pretty sad 40 time, doesn't mean he can't be the guy there's just not a solid standout OLB... Which sucks.

I'm not going to put much stock into Curry's 40 times. He has good game speed, a high motor, he has a nose for the football and is great at making plays on it from what I watched in the senior bowl and some of his college games

Members online

Latest posts