Could we see it again this year?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t expect a lot of five WRs sets either, having Lacy on the field just gives the offense way more opportunities and has the defense guessing. Eating up the clock running the football isn´t in McCarthy´s DNA though.

That would be a great idea. Don´t think it´s going to happen though. I´m still baffled about the three plays vs. the Niners from the 9-yard line with the game on the line and McCarthy running all of them without Lacy or Starks on the field even once.

I don't think there's a single way (barring QB injuries) that the offense could struggle this year. Way too much depth. Unless our whole OLine gets hurt. We have enough depth at RB still though, that they will always be able to wear down the defense. My only worries about this season are the ILBs and that we won't have the bulk to play the run on the DLine. Basically, I'm worried about lynch and AP and all the other good RBs we play this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's a single way (barring QB injuries) that the offense could struggle this year. Way too much depth. Unless our whole OLine gets hurt. We have enough depth at RB still though, that they will always be able to wear down the defense. My only worries about this season are the ILBs and that we won't have the bulk to play the run on the DLine. Basically, I'm worried about lynch and AP and all the other good RBs we play this year.

But I think if we played somebody like Denver, we'd be fine on D.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packernet.com led me to an article by Michelle Noyer-Granacki titled, Creating the Blueprint for Optimal Offense in 2014 in bleacher report. The author begins by noting the Packers finished in the top 10 in both rushing and passing offense for the first time since 2004. And they finished 8th in points and 3rd in yards in spite of Rodgers missing almost 8 games, Cobb and Finley missing 10 games each, and James Jones two. She writes with players Rodgers and Cobb back plus prospects for better OL play and the additions on offense, “the Packers offense looks to be at its best form in the last decade”.

She has three suggestions for using the offensive weapons more effectively this season:

1. Limit Use of the Shotgun formation. While Rodgers only lined up 63 times under center vs. 227 times in the shotgun, all his throwing stats were better lining up under center, including his accuracy and QB rating. Of course down and distance play into this and there were a limited number of plays in which Rodgers was under center. And the shotgun gives Rodgers a better view of the defense and more time to throw but that may also lead to more sacks. She notes Pro Football Focus has Rodgers’ average release time in the shotgun at 2.84 seconds. For reference, McCarthy has had a horn go off in 2.5 seconds in camp to help Rodgers release the ball earlier.

The Packers not only have Lacy who represents a real running threat, they also have depth at RB that will make defenses take play action seriously. If McCarthy doesn’t want Rodgers under center more, I hope the use of empty backfields is very limited. I would also like to see more outlet passes to RBs when they’re in the shotgun.
(This section includes a picture of Rodgers about to be sacked by Umenyiora. While LT Newhouse doesn’t use a bullfighter’s cape, he could hardly be more accommodating in “leading” Osi to Rodgers. Newhouse and MD Jennings remind me of the concept of ‘addition by subtraction’. Nothing personal against either of them of course but I’m glad neither is a Packer.)

2. Continue to use Nelson in the slot, even with Cobb’s return. Nelson was incredibly productive out of the slot. He caught 71.9% of passes for 624 yards and 3 TDs. I don’t think that’ll be a problem. Since he arrived, McCarthy has insisted WRs know all the receiver positions. And while Nelson was very effective in the slot, I still like Cobb in the slot with Nelson outside.

3. Keep Lacy Fresh and Utilize Other Backs' Skills. This is pretty self-explanatory, but I do think there’s a balance between giving a back enough carries to get in rhythm vs. exposing him to injury. Lacy is a punishing RB, but the Packers are deep at RB and a change of pace and fresh legs can also “punish” a defense.

Anyway, I think it’s a good read, well documented. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ing-the-blueprint-for-optimal-offense-in-2014

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Packernet.com led me to an article by Michelle Noyer-Granacki titled, Creating the Blueprint for Optimal Offense in 2014 in bleacher report. The author begins by noting the Packers finished in the top 10 in both rushing and passing offense for the first time since 2004. And they finished 8th in points and 3rd in yards in spite of Rodgers missing almost 8 games, Cobb and Finley missing 10 games each, and James Jones two. She writes with players Rodgers and Cobb back plus prospects for better OL play and the additions on offense, “the Packers offense looks to be at its best form in the last decade”.

She has three suggestions for using the offensive weapons more effectively this season:

1. Limit Use of the Shotgun formation. While Rodgers only lined up 63 times under center vs. 227 times in the shotgun, all his throwing stats were better lining up under center, including his accuracy and QB rating. Of course down and distance play into this and there were a limited number of plays in which Rodgers was under center. And the shotgun gives Rodgers a better view of the defense and more time to throw but that may also lead to more sacks. She notes Pro Football Focus has Rodgers’ average release time in the shotgun at 2.84 seconds. For reference, McCarthy has had a horn go off in 2.5 seconds in camp to help Rodgers release the ball earlier.

The Packers not only have Lacy who represents a real running threat, they also have depth at RB that will make defenses take play action seriously. If McCarthy doesn’t want Rodgers under center more, I hope the use of empty backfields is very limited. I would also like to see more outlet passes to RBs when they’re in the shotgun.
(This section includes a picture of Rodgers about to be sacked by Umenyiora. While LT Newhouse doesn’t use a bullfighter’s cape, he could hardly be more accommodating in “leading” Osi to Rodgers. Newhouse and MD Jennings remind me of the concept of ‘addition by subtraction’. Nothing personal against either of them of course but I’m glad neither is a Packer.)

2. Continue to use Nelson in the slot, even with Cobb’s return. Nelson was incredibly productive out of the slot. He caught 71.9% of passes for 624 yards and 3 TDs. I don’t think that’ll be a problem. Since he arrived, McCarthy has insisted WRs know all the receiver positions. And while Nelson was very effective in the slot, I still like Cobb in the slot with Nelson outside.

3. Keep Lacy Fresh and Utilize Other Backs' Skills. This is pretty self-explanatory, but I do think there’s a balance between giving a back enough carries to get in rhythm vs. exposing him to injury. Lacy is a punishing RB, but the Packers are deep at RB and a change of pace and fresh legs can also “punish” a defense.

Anyway, I think it’s a good read, well documented. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ing-the-blueprint-for-optimal-offense-in-2014

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. I agree with the author that having a de facto rookie starting center should be considered in how many times Rodgers will line up in the shotgun.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we'll see a lot of conservative and quick developing plays early on to ease the new center in. I expect to see more roll outs also in September.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There´s no doubt in my mind our offense will be scary good this season. Defenses will have to pick their poison.

Real scary. stay tuned for Sept 4th

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

your going to owe me and I still like Tavarres King

Latest posts