Could we see it again this year?

D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, someone earlier mentioned how Bulaga back was going to be a difference-maker.
If I recall correctly, Bulaga was healthy last time we played these guys, and he gave up like 4 sacks.

Think some might have a tendency to overrate the memory of Bulaga perhaps.

Actually we gave up eight sacks in the first half the last time we played there and it was Bulaga´s worst game as a Packer, so it´s not a fair assessment of his overall talent. In addition you have to realize that we didn´t have a running game at the time and the Seahawks were able to rush Rodgers on every single play.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got worked but Rodgers was heavily criticized by some for holding the ball to long after that game. A running game now will help .

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That´s why I said it´s tough to evaluate how the Seahawks will use him.

He has proven at Minnesota in 2011 and 2012 (don´t know what the total number of snaps last season has to do with that) that he can play outside as well though. He lined up there for 38.4% of his routes and had 47% of his total of 149 receptions while doing so.

Yes, he is pretty much the Seahawks no.1 so I would imagine he lines up everywhere. On two receiver sets obviously outside and then a combination of outside/inside in 3 receiver sets depending how they want to utilize him.

I think he is more dangerous on the inside.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes that game plan that night was horrible.... pass pass pass pass pass..... Bruce Irvin, all their guys (they didn't even have Michael Bennett or Cliff Avril yet) just pinned their ears back every play, and went after Rodgers like addicts after crack on the coffee table.

Having Lacy (and it being the opening game, hopefully he's healthy and fresh) will help.
A better gameplan by McCarthy will help too.

I think we can open up with a win there and a statement to the rest of the league.
Leaders of the Pack are back on top. Green Bay is back.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes that game plan that night was horrible.... pass pass pass pass pass..... Bruce Irvin, all their guys (they didn't even have Michael Bennett or Cliff Avril yet) just pinned their ears back every play, and went after Rodgers like addicts after crack on the coffee table.

Having Lacy (and it being the opening game, hopefully he's healthy and fresh) will help.

I think we can open up with a win there and a statement to the rest of the league.

That's another good point. McCarthy is going to have awhile to scheme this game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's another good point. McCarthy is going to have awhile to scheme this game.
When he has too much time, I think he over analyzes and puts too many gimmick plays in the playbook. I'd rather he keeps his playbook under the size of my phonebook. (note: I probably personally know half the people in my phonebook. Advantage of living the rural life.)

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think the game plan was that bad as you want to make it. It doesn´t make sense to continue to run the football when your RB is averaging 2.6 yards a carry.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the game plan was, when you're one of a few teams to win in Seattle in a few years (obviously taking away the terrible call), the game plan must have worked.

D

Deleted member 6794

Whatever the game plan was, when you're one of a few teams to win in Seattle in a few years (obviously taking away the terrible call), the game plan must have worked.

The defense played great that night and held us in the game. The offense was terrible in the first half, gaining a total of 87 yards and scoring zero points. Not sure though this should be attributed to the game plan.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he has too much time, I think he over analyzes and puts too many gimmick plays in the playbook. I'd rather he keeps his playbook under the size of my phonebook. (note: I probably personally know half the people in my phonebook. Advantage of living the rural life.)

I know we are talking about the start of the season, but as an example the Packers are 7 -1 in games
under MM following the bye week.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/10/01/packers-have-history-on-their-side-following-bye/

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense played great that night and held us in the game. The offense was terrible in the first half, gaining a total of 87 yards and scoring zero points. Not sure though this should be attributed to the game plan.

How do you know the defensive gameplan didn't help the defense?

I'm just seeing on this topic people blaming coaching for bad things, but not giving credit to coaching for good things, which happens a lot by fans.

I also don't think a team giving up 8 sacks in a half is attributable to bad game plan. Whether a team is passing a lot or not, the o line should be doing a better job than that. Guys were getting beat bad in that half.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

I know we are talking about the start of the season, but as an example the Packers are 7 -1 in games
under MM following the bye week.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/10/01/packers-have-history-on-their-side-following-bye/

Packers are 5-3 under McCarthy in season opener, they actually have a higher overall winning percentage under him. Don´t think having more time to prepare for an opponent makes any difference. They weren´t able to beat the Niners in last year´s opener either.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you know the defensive gameplan didn't help the defense?

I'm just seeing on this topic people blaming coaching for bad things, but not giving credit to coaching for good things, which happens a lot by fans.

I also don't think a team giving up 8 sacks in a half is attributable to bad game plan. Whether a team is passing a lot or not, the o line should be doing a better job than that. Guys were getting beat bad in that half.

I´m not the one blaming the game plan.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was all credit to the defense that night.
IIRC, how many TDs did our offense score ?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not the one blaming the game plan.
For the sacks in the first half, yes I am.
And I clearly remember McCarthy admitting such as far as his halftime adjustments.
And he got hammered for the first half pass-happiness from the MNF crew and sports journalists local and national.

He made a great adjustment at halftime though, and kept the pass rush off balance. It makes a big difference when the pass rushers have to worry about the run.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then the defensive gameplan must have been good?
Must have.
Also, Russell Wilson had yet to have his training wheels taken off.

Did we still have Charles Woodson then? I believe we did.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must have.
Also, Russell Wilson had yet to have his training wheels taken off.

Did we still have Charles Woodson then? I believe we did.

Not saying the gameplan was the only factor. Just that I'm seeing bad half = bad gameplan and good defense = good play. Coaching getting blame, but not credit.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying the gameplan was the only factor. Just that I'm seeing bad half = bad gameplan and good defense = good play. Coaching getting blame, but not credit.

I said the coach made great adjustments at halftime.
Didn't I?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. You did. Justifying my original posts on the topic. I should have specified.

Well I will clarify it.

First half offensive gameplan was horrible. It had a lot to do with SEVEN first half sacks.
Halftime, adjustments made, good ones.

Packers won the game except for not just one but MANY horrible calls.

Anyway, Seattle is a lot better now on offense.
And their defense is better with additions last year in free agency.

We don't have Jennings, Driver, or Jones, or Jermichael, as we did that season.
But we now have Eddie Lacy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think the game plan was that bad as you want to make it. It doesn´t make sense to continue to run the football when your RB is averaging 2.6 yards a carry.

He claims he likes it to be balanced..that made me wanted to slap him before Lacy nobody we played respected our run game .

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the game plan is pretty simple for the Seahawks game. I think you run the ball. Then run the ball. Then run the ball. Target the point of attack at Cliff Averil and Bruce Irvin. Mix in some Lacy and WR screens. We can go power run against good run defenses and proved it against the Niners in the playoff game last year. Once the running game is established and you knock the noise decimal level down a few notches start mixing in some play action and throw in a few 50/50 shots down field.

Don't come out early trying to throw the ball everywhere because there fans are going to be all jacked up and the place will be louder then you can imagine. I find it to be very annoying myself. I was at the last game there and the Packer offense was way out of rhythm early and the noise I felt had a lot to do with it. Lot's of miss-communication. I don't think Rodgers and Co. were completely prepared for noise because it's something you really have to experience at Century Link. I believe this time they will be much more prepared and have a much better understanding.

You gotta go out there and punch these guys in the mouth early and control the line of scrimmage, and I believe we have the offense to do it.

Everyone is talking about Harvin and yeah he is dangerous but I really am not that scared of there offense. We play way better offenses in our own division with better receivers and stronger armed QB's. The running backs we play in our division aren't to shabby either. I think our DB's can match up well on there smaller receivers man to man and Hawks really cant go "back shoulder" to anybody. That means we can bring pressure. I can't wait to see Matthews and Peppers unleashed.

Overall if we don't turn the ball over and play solid special teams play I would be very very surprised if "Green and Gold" doesn't come out on top.

Final thought: The Baltimore Ravens were 17-2 in last 19 at home and Super Bowl Champs last year when we beat them in Baltimore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

He claims he likes it to be balanced..that made me wanted to slap him before Lacy nobody we played respected our run game .

Well, at the time it was hard to justify running the ball with no real threat at the position while having the best QB in the league.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts