Could Walker get his wish?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos | Team would be interested in J. Walker
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:14:34 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports there is speculation in Green Bay the Green Bay Packers will grant WR Javon Walker his wish and deal him. If Walker is traded, is it likely to happen draft week or during the NFL Draft. Denver has talked to Green Bay about the disgruntled receiver. It appears Denver, the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers could be the front-runners for Walker. Green Bay has maintained it expects Walker to stay. But if a good enough offer comes along, including a draft pick, it might be tempting for the Packers to rid themselves of the distraction Walker is sure to create.

What would it take for TT to let Walker go?

I say a low #1 or high #2 would be a good deal. Somewhere between #20 and #35(we have the 36th pick).

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take a 1st . . . definitely. That said, a 3rd or 4th is more realistic because he has only had 1 good year and is coming off a major injury.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
I would take a 1st . . . definitely. That said, a 3rd or 4th is more realistic because he has only had 1 good year and is coming off a major injury.

Finally, back down to Earth.

Reaction score
I want a 1st, but like 4th said, its wishful thinking. I wouldn't mind a 2nd or 3rd this year, with another 1st day draft pick next year depending on how Walker performs.

As long as I'm at it, I wish we could trade Walker to the niners for the #6 pick, and then pick up Davis with it.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
What would it take for TT to let Walker go?

Walker will only be a cancer on the team if he returns. If I'm TT I take anything over a 3rd-round pick and a 6-pack of Miller Lite for him and make sure the door hits him in the *** on the way out. :)

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a terrible situation for GB. Make him sit and he could be disrutive and GB doesn't get anything for him. Trade him and you were held hostage. The thing that is really poor is that although he had only one good season, IMO, he looked really ready to bust out and become a top WR. GB is in a no win situation. How does this get prevented from happening again?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another recent piece on this situation:

Walker situation getting uglyposted: Friday, April 14, 2006 | Feedback
filed under: Green Bay Packers, Javon Walker, Denver Broncos, Dwayne Carswell, Tennessee Titans, Keith Bulluck

T.O. has found a team. Daunte Culpepper was traded. Richard Seymour is re-signed. So is Shaun Alexander. This offseason has been a distant cousin to last year's in the area of contract disputes. But still, there is a big one unresolved: Javon Walker.
Lost in Brett Favre's retirement talk is that Walker's situation is a mess. Maybe it'll be solved on draft day via a trade, maybe it won't. But chunk by chunk, it's getting ugly.

The ugliness started when Walker, with Drew Rosenhaus at his side, demanded a new deal last year. We know how that went: Walker threatened, Favre butted his nose into Walker's business, Walker folded, Walker caught 27 yards worth of passes in Week 1 before going down with a season-ending right knee injury.

A month ago, Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith that he'd rather retire than play in Green Bay again. Packers GM Ted Thompson responded by denying Walker's new agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade. Who knows if that's still holding up, but either way, news out of Green Bay today will make it hard for Walker to feel comfortable there, that's for sure. Donald Driver told WAUK radio that he thinks the team should let Walker go.

"Right now, Javon, what he's telling everyone is that he wants out," Driver said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I would love to have him. He knows I love him dearly. But if he wants out, the best thing to do is just let him go."

Who knows what Driver's motivations are. He's friends with Walker, and very close with Favre. He might be doing this as a favor to Walker, or thinking that it might help. Or, maybe it's just his opinion. Either way, it just ups the ante on what the Packers will do with him. Walker's only real options are to retire or be such a distraction that the team will have to unload him for peace's sake.

Given that Walker is a good guy and a smart guy who probably doesn't want to go down as this year's T.O., he's in a bind. I hope for his sake he gets out of it. If he doesn't, it'll either be one weird year in Green Bay or one year wasted for a once-promising receiver.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Package Walker/Green/Packers 1st round pick to the Texans for their first round pick.

That is what I would do.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is giving up a LOT to move up 4 spots in the draft. if that is what you want, then that's fine. but allow me to be the first to say, this will never happen.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesnt Javon relize he palys has a great year, everyone wins. we get a great receiver for a year then he gets a huge signing.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seriously walker/green/pack 5th pick for Reggie bush? seriously. give up two pro bowlers and the olb we really need for reggie bush. seriously?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One way or another, the Packers and Broncos will be wheeling and dealing prior to or during the draft. Shanahan is absolutely in love with Vernon Davis and will need to get to 5 or 6 to assure having a shot at him. Throw in the Javon Walker situation and we may have a deal that is a little more exotic than straight up picks for player or picks for #5. Who knows, maybe another team comes into play.

Either way, the Pack and Horsies will find a way to do business....what exactly that is, who knows.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
that is giving up a LOT to move up 4 spots in the draft. if that is what you want, then that's fine. but allow me to be the first to say, this will never happen.

Yes sir it is giving up a lot!

A lot of waste!

Tghe way I figure it, Walker is already a goner..., Ahman is going to be less htan 100%.

What would YOU want? a Lockerroom Cancer and a Has been who can only be counted on for a year or two?

I may be wrong here but I see that Ahman is NOT the same RB as a couple of years ago, and Gado is NOT the answer.

I also think that a cancer like Walker is VERY negative for the club and needs to go.

I don't see the Packers making this trade but I can wish...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem in Green Bay is that messages that are sent aren't often received. I saw it with Mike Sherman's handling of Mike McKenzie. I saw it last year in Mike Sherman's handling of Javon Walker. Why did Brett Favre step in and talk about how Javon should live up to his contract? Because no one in the Packer organization had the balls to say it. Now we have the same thing. Just as I don't rule the roost where I work, Walker doesn't rule the roost in Green Bay. Or does he? There are two rules of thought here. One is trade him and get something for him, the other one is the one I profess too. If he doesn't want to play in Green Bay, then he doesn't play at all. A contract is a contract and it should work both ways. Now after his contract runs out and he wants to play someplace else, he can go freely. If he truly wants to be traded, then he needs to learn how to be a man about it and do things the right way. I'd rather he sit than trade him right now.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
The problem in Green Bay is that messages that are sent aren't often received. I saw it with Mike Sherman's handling of Mike McKenzie. I saw it last year in Mike Sherman's handling of Javon Walker. Why did Brett Favre step in and talk about how Javon should live up to his contract? Because no one in the Packer organization had the balls to say it. Now we have the same thing. Just as I don't rule the roost where I work, Walker doesn't rule the roost in Green Bay. Or does he? There are two rules of thought here. One is trade him and get something for him, the other one is the one I profess too. If he doesn't want to play in Green Bay, then he doesn't play at all. A contract is a contract and it should work both ways. Now after his contract runs out and he wants to play someplace else, he can go freely. If he truly wants to be traded, then he needs to learn how to be a man about it and do things the right way. I'd rather he sit than trade him right now.

Well Packed you are 100% IMHO, I have been asking this from someone in the Packers organization to stand up and say things clear, weater it is Javon, Brett, etc...

We need someone who get to the media and say who is running the show..

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

AMEN, packedhouse!! couldn't agree with you more.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver is the only team interested in Walker and so far they haven't put up the offer to get him. I find it funny that it's only Denver. Every single thing I read about the Pack that isn't wrote in Wisconsin, or a main media source is now from the Denver Post.. More speculation and can I say wishes from Denver..

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we do trade walker i hope we get a good draft pick for him. Though i doubt we would get a higher pick than a low second.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts