Could Packers grab In-State Sleeper Beaver?

jaybirdknows

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the monster numbers Justin Beaver (UW Whitewater RB) posted at the UW Pro Day as posted in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel? I did a quick check against the NFL Combine numbers and the results are somewhat astounding.

Here are the Numbers he posted and the rank he would have posted nationally among RB with same result at NFL Combine:

40 yd dash: 4.41 (5th)
Bench Press: 24 reps (T10)

NOTE: Only Beaver, Mendenhel (4.45 and 26), and Jonathon Stewart (4.48 and 28) ranked in top 10 in both 40 yd dash and bench press.

3 Cone Drill: [/b]6.72 (2nd)

NOTE:Only Ray Rice did better (6.65). Rice did not finish in the top 10 in either Bench Press or 40 yd. dash.

20 Yard Shuttle:3.96 (1st)
NOTE:I don't know if it can be overstated how amazing this shuttle performance was. The best time at the combine was 4.18! The 10th best time was 4.24. Beaver's time blew out the number one combine time by .22 of a second when the difference between first and 10th at combine was only .06!

Beaver has obvious downsides keeping him from being a high draft choice (size: 5'8" 192 lbs), (level of competition, D3), (Injury History: Broken Collarbone). However, he has some huge intangibles that may make him an appealing late round pick or free agent. He is a great student. He is an excellent leader and character guy.

In addition, his success (6,584 yards and 44 touchdowns) have all come out of an offense driven by the zone blocking scheme used by Green Bay! He has the patient/one cut style and knack for finding daylight so important for a running back in the zone scheme.

TT was at the workout.

Any chance the Packers take a flyer on Beaver to provide competition for Morency as a third down back?

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible. TT keeps a low profile about his picks. But Beaver's numbers were great. So was his production at UW-Whitewater. I also could perhaps see TT looking at FB Owen Schmitt from West Virginia. Schmitt also played at UW-River Falls. I like the job Korey Hall did at FB, plus I also like John Kuhn, but Schmitt would be a classic west coast FB.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you cant rely on pro day workout results too much. Different conditions and time keeping. the next brandon jackson perhaps? :p

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see 6 or 7 rd or more likely attention as FA after the draft. Seems like a guy with tremendous heart as well as athleticism. Would need to spend a year or two on practice squad, but could easily become a ST regular and offensive contributer(2nd or 3rd back).

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see a 7th maybe or bringing him in later... I like Beaver, being a WIAC athlete I have a bias but he was definatley an impressive runner to watch

Members online

Latest posts