1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Could Packers draft Manti Te'o?

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by PackPackPackers, Jan 17, 2013.

1. PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39
    I mean, if his draft stock plummeted because of this scandal, the Packers in theory have a good chance of drafting him. The Pack can get rid of AJ Hawk somehow...

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    I drove to south bend this year to watch him. Wasnt impressed with him. Even less impressed after hearing he might be clinically insane.

I was hearing negative things about his draft stock before this. I worry people get too hyped up on big names in college without looking deeper at the player and his ability to transition to the nfl.

3. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    I think his play in the National Championship game will have a bigger affect.

and drafting him would be a mistake

4. PackMan12

PackMan12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We should take a look at Alec Ogletree.

5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    We owe Hawk base salary 4.9 Mil, Cap hit to release him is 4.6 Mil. He's here for 1 more year. Deal with it.

Ogletree is good. I like Minter.

6. Cheesehead625

Cheesehead625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +145
    Ya Ogletree would fit our system much better. He doesn't have a lot power to stand a back up in the middle, so he would do just fine.

7. PackPackPackers

Ratings:
    +39
    You seem pretty content with that...that's fine if the Packers still want a BELOW average defense this upcoming year. We are not going to win a Super Bowl next year if our defense is going to be with the same people (i.e. AJ Hawk).

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    We have enough slow linebackers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I don't want him and I don't think the Packers are looking for headcases.

10. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,000
    He's won about every honor a linebacker can win except the Heisman. If it's all hype, it's the greatest fraud in the history of college football--much greater than a fake girlfriend. He's 6'2" and 255. I haven't seen a 40 time for him. If he's fast, I'd take him in an instant if he's available.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Have you seen him play much? No doubt he racks up the stats and has had a knack to come up with big plays in big situations. But he's just kinda... slow. Slow kills in the league.

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    You can be an amazing college player and not a great nfl player. I think we might have a linebacker on our team like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    He'll be a mainstay on the inactive list, but he's going nowhere for a year.

Te'o is Samoan for "Too Slow." He might as well be Hawk 2.0

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sunshine885500

Sunshine885500 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +49
    I personally would like to see GB take a shot at Ronaldo McClain as Reggie Mckenzie and the Raiders are prepared to release him. I would go after him and get rid of Hawk. Maybe a change of location and being on a better team will help him to mature and be productive as he was projected.

15. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    If Reggie McKenzie doesn't want him we don't either.

16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    No way I would even want Teo. The way Alabama made him look...lol....he was trying to tackle air half the time, he missed tacles like crazy and got run the hell over a couple time. All that from a college level RB, he would get even more eaten alive by a NFL back. That kid will be a draft bust, good luck to whom ever takes him and his pretend girlfriend having a$$

17. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Funny, but I seem to remember Hawk being on the roster in 2010, when we had a top 10 defense and won the Super Bowl.

To the OP: No. We don't need a sociopath on our roster. Anyone who invents a girlfriend and then invents her death to get attention need not apply.

18. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    I'm kind of surprised by everyone dismissing Te'o. Obviously, a lot will hinge on the truth behind the hoax. If he's complicit in it from the get-go, you have to take a good and hard look at his mental makeup. Of course, the flip side is he is a naive kid, which also isn't good. In any event, if he's there when we select in the 1st round, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better option. At the bottom of the 1st round, you find a lot of similarly talented players. Te'o was a top-1o, maybe top-15 pick, before this scandal. As a result, he'd absolutely be a coupe for the Packers. And the Packers don't need more speed, we need toughness. Te'o is not afraid to plug the middle in run support and a much more physical force than Hawk. Plus, he's decent in coverage. There's a reason why he won every award possible and finished second in the Heisman. He's a gamer. http://wp.me/p29VCs-f1

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PackPackPackers

Ratings:
    +39
    AJ Hawk STILL wasn't the reason we won that year...Nick Collins, Jenkins, etc. were why...NOT AJ Hawk.

20. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Te'o can definitely fall to #26, but I don't know if I want him. He totally disappeared during the Bama game. The last thing I want is AJ Hawk 2.0

21. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    The funny thing about this thread is the focus on his apparent lack of speed. He's an ILB. I don't want a blazer. I want a guy that's willing to attack the line and make game-changing plays. When you watch Urlacher, do you think to yourself - man, he's a fast LB. I don't. But, he has perfect game-speed and is always around the ball. Te'o similarly has game-speed and would be a great compliment to Bishop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. PackPackPackers

Ratings:
    +39
    Manti Te'o is the furthest thing from AJ Hawk. Manti Te'o is a much bigger and fast back than AJ Hawk. He is more of a Patrick Willis type of player.

23. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Hawk is listed at 6'1 247 lbs. Te'o is listed at 6'2 225 lbs. Patrick Willis is listed at 6'1 240 lbs.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    Well he played safety in college...

25. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Urlacher? I think he is very fast and very quick; and plays it.

As far as Manti Teo, he may just be the inspiration our defense needs:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1