Could GB run 3-4?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
It's been rumored that Jerry gray might run a 3-4 defense. This poses the question, if he was our DC, could our current personnel make the switch?

Obviously, KGB is not a 3-4 DE. Could he make the transition to OLB?

Could Cole replace him at DE?

Grady a NG?

How dominant could Barnett and AJ Hawk be playing side by side?

Let's hear your thoughts. Could we make the switch and would you want to?

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that after the coaching staff is formed, the players will be brought in or sent out based on whatever the new staff wants to run. I would like to see the 3-4 mainly because it seems to always throw us for a loop when we play against a team that runs it. I think the combo of Barnett and AJ Hawk in the middle would be pretty damn sweet. I think after that, the key would be finding the appropriate OLBs to run it effectively. I don't know if it would be a great idea in the end, but if they decided that's what they wanted to do I'd be intrigued by it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
Obviously, KGB is not a 3-4 DE. Could he make the transition to OLB?

I've said this multiple times, not because I think he'd be a great LB, but because he is so overmatched at DE now.

Grady Jackson, Cullen Jenkins & Montgomery\Cole\Kampman on the line

KGB(olb) AJ Hawk(ilb) Paris Lenon(ilb) Nick Barnett(olb)

thats how I would do it NOW, with our current staff. Paris might be gone, robert thomas is probably gone, we got young guys who arent proven,etc. I really liked Lenon. He made huuuge strides. He made some great plays, and some monster games. I am a paris lenon fan. He isnt great, and some could make the argument he isnt even good. But he has heart and hustle. Watching him cover Moose Muhammad vs Chicago all the way downfield was so impressive guys....I almost blew my load watching that. He also gets his hands on a lot of balls, is in the right place a lot. I think with some more coaching and guidance he could be a solid LB in the league, and hopefully GB. (when did this turn into a Lenon post)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Paris Lenon too, and I think he's underappreciated.

It would be fun to see the Packers play a 3-4 defense. We do have several defensive linemen who are end/tackle hybrids and could possibly play DE in that defense: Kampman, Jenkins, and Peterson would be best. It would probably be necessary to hold onto Grady Jackson, because you need a real stout nose tackle in that defense.

Hawk and Barnett in the middle would be great, but I almost don't want to talk about Hawk too much, for fear of putting a jinx on the Packers that keeps them from getting him.

As for KGB, a couple years ago in training camp they tried him out as the OLB in a 3-4 alignment, though I never heard much about the results and they never used him in a game that way. Physically, he seems like a real good fit for it.

So with what the Packers have right now, plus Hawk, they could use this lineup:

DE: Jenkins/Peterson/Montgomery
NT: Grady/Colin Cole
DE: Kampmann

OLB: KGB
ILB: Hawk
ILB: Barnett
OLB: Lenon

This could be beefed up with some draft picks, trades, or free agent acquisitions.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, as you know, i'm just a chick but now i think i finally understand the 3-4 defense!!!!! thanks a bunch - i'm learning guys!!! :cheerleader:

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern is that linebacker isn't deep for us right now, and the 3-4 means more linebackers.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way i see kgb playing olb. he can't run, how do you think kgb would handle coverage? an eight year veteran de, moving to sam or will lber? i don't think kgb can run well enough to make plays.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
no way i see kgb playing olb. he can't run, how do you think kgb would handle coverage? an eight year veteran de, moving to sam or will lber? i don't think kgb can run well enough to make plays.

I agree with you, however he should get a chance to see if he can do it...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB is fast...what do you mean he cant run? his coverage could easilly be better than Carrolls...but thats not saying much

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Don't the Dolphins run a 3-4 now with Saban as HC??? I think Jason Taylor is in coverage much more now and he is getting the job done, I don't see why KGB couldn't do the same.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
KGB is fast...what do you mean he cant run? his coverage could easilly be better than Carrolls...but thats not saying much

Well even though a 3-4 OLB is primarily a pass rusher, the guy still has to be able to tackle and play the run. KGB can't do that. If the team ever did go to a 34 defense he'd be cut. Brady Poppinga would probably make a good 3-4 OLB. We could draft another tweener to play on the other side.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CON: we're not exactly deep at linebacker

PRO: Grady Jackson is a proto. nose tackle that the 3-4 needs, Colin Cole, Mike Montgomery and Cullen Jenkins would be good 3-4 DE's--they require size and capability against the run...Richard Seymour pushes 300 lbs, and is a teriffic end in a 3-4 system

I'd be willing to see what Kampman would do at OLB in a 3-4, one thing for certain is he'd give his all

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
dhpackr said:

Don't the Dolphins run a 3-4 now with Saban as HC??? I think Jason Taylor is in coverage much more now and he is getting the job done, I don't see why KGB couldn't do the same.

jason taylor>kgb
get it now?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
CON: we're not exactly deep at linebacker

PRO: Grady Jackson is a proto. nose tackle that the 3-4 needs, Colin Cole, Mike Montgomery and Cullen Jenkins would be good 3-4 DE's--they require size and capability against the run...Richard Seymour pushes 300 lbs, and is a teriffic end in a 3-4 system

I'd be willing to see what Kampman would do at OLB in a 3-4, one thing for certain is he'd give his all

kampman is even slower than kgb

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manny Lawson out of NC state would be perfect for an OLB for the 3-4 defense. Will go 2nd or 3rd round. Get hawk in the 1st and a Running back in the 2nd round.

LE: Kampman
NT: Grady/Cole
RE: Jenkins

OLB's: Poppinga & Lawson
ILB: Barnett and Hawk

Looks solid enough. and get more LB in the later roudns

Staff online

Latest posts