Could different PSI levels in footballs be effecting Rodgers?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been seeing comments such as this over on PFT:

brettfavrecellphone says: Oct 18, 2016 9:21 AM

Look at Aaron Rodgers numbers since the NFL started caring about football PSI. They are really bad.

Maybe the NFL suspended the wrong guy.
(My response was: They are playing as if he has been suspended.)

Anyway, what do you think?
It could be any number of things. No one knows what is really going on as to the poor performance of our beloved Aaron.
Could there be any truth to the different PSI levels having a factor in his play?

D

Deleted member 6794

The league didn't make any changes to the allowed PSI level, therefore I think there isn't any truth to it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been seeing comments such as this over on PFT:

brettfavrecellphone says: Oct 18, 2016 9:21 AM

Look at Aaron Rodgers numbers since the NFL started caring about football PSI. They are really bad.

Maybe the NFL suspended the wrong guy.
(My response was: They are playing as if he has been suspended.)

Anyway, what do you think?
It could be any number of things. No one knows what is really going on as to the poor performance of our beloved Aaron.
Could there be any truth to the different PSI levels having a factor in his play?

I'll add that to the list of conspiracy theories, along with "It's Olivia's fault" and "He's not getting enough dairy".....:p

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The league didn't make any changes to the allowed PSI level, therefore I think there isn't any truth to it.

No but they started measuring PSI levels with more consistency. Does everyone drive at or under the speed limit?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At this point, anything to explain AR's rapid drop from grace is plausible. While Tom Brady's game doesn't seem to be affected by keeping the balls inflated within the acceptable range (12.5-to-13.5-PSI), maybe AR is struggling to adjust to playing with not so firm balls?

When Deflategate went down, Phil Simms mentioned that Rodgers admitted that he preferred his balls to be over inflated even if it meant pushing it past the accepted range.

“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

With Tom Brady being suspended for what he did, I have a feeling Rodgers went mumm on the subject and could just pass it off as "I was joking around".

All that being said, if what Rodgers said was true, he is now having to play with balls which are inflated within the NFL set standards. Is this the cause of his decline? Not sure, but I wouldn't laugh it off and say "no way".

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think there is some validity to this hypothesis. I am an athletic trainer and an exercise physiologist. PSI affects the football and a person's grip on the football. Although a higher PSI would ultimately make throwing the football more difficult and no advantage is given to anyone with a "more" inflated ball, if a quarterback is seasoned to throwing footballs a certain way and then the integrity of the football is altered, that would affect the individuals throwing mechanics and ultimately their accuracy.

That being said this is not the sole reason the Packer's offense is struggling.

33%- Aaron Rodgers. Accuracy (see above). Extending EVERY play. I get that you want to play to all player's strengths, but you also want to get rid of the football to trot down field. I thought going back to the huddle would help this, it did not.
33%- Coaching/Aaron Rodgers. I am sitting at home, calling each play at the line of scrimmage with a 70% correction rate. What do you think the percentage of a professional defensive coordinator is at guessing what the Packer's offense is going to do? It's pathetic. It is so easy to prepare for a team when you know exactly what they are going to do by looking at last week's film.
33%- Receivers. Jordy is a step behind (granted he is coming off of a serious injury, I do not believe he was properly conditioned prior to the season starting and during the season conditioning is limited). Then we have a roster full of slot recievers. We need a true deep threat or power TE (which we may have in Jared Cook).

Props to the Oline and Eddy Lacey keeping this offense alive. We need to pray that Eddy does not end up on IR or Knile Davis ends up being a stud. Also our defense is really something to get excited about. If you had our starting defense on the field Sunday evening, that would have been a different outcome. I am really praying we get Rollins and Randall back soon.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is true that officials checked the PSI levels prior to Deflategate, but its pretty obvious that they weren't very thorough with the checks nor the enforcement. That has changed since Deflategate.

There is very little question in my mind, that Rodgers would have had easier access to over inflated balls prior to Deflategate and his comments, if true, indicate he preferred balls to be over inflated. Whether this has changed his game, is purely speculation for sure.

I have never played the position of QB, but I have played a lot of racquetball and I can immediately tell when a ball in play is old (slower moving) or new (faster moving). I definitely prefer a new faster ball, while some players want that ball moving as slow as possible. Different sport, but IMO same principle, players prefer their equipment a certain way.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
33%- Coaching/Aaron Rodgers. I am sitting at home, calling each play at the line of scrimmage with a 70% correction rate. What do you think the percentage of a professional defensive coordinator is at guessing what the Packer's offense is going to do? It's pathetic. It is so easy to prepare for a team when you know exactly what they are going to do by looking at last week's film.

You presume that Aaron changing the play at the line is a correction. He is given wide latitude at the line and they do a lot of muddle huddle where the playcall is determined by alignment and personnel.

Checks at the line can be a simple as protection--every play has this, if only to declare the MIKE for the line to call out their assignments.

They could be hot routes based on regular man, press man, off man, zone, cover-3, cover-1, cover-2, cover-0.

Some of them will absolutely be changes, but some of them are also dummy changes where the call is set in stone but Rodgers channels his inner flamenco flamingo but no changes are actually made.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The league measured the PSI level
before Deflategate as well. I think it's bogus to blame Rodgers struggles on it.
At this point it is all just speculation as to Rodgers struggles which stretch back to last season.
And around that time the proper inflation of footballs was a topic.
So it's either a coincidence or there really is something to this.
I think the only way to get closer to confirming the PSI as a factor is to find out if the balls became inflated at a smaller level than what Rodgers was used to and if his playing changed or where it did in regards to a different PSI.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
You presume that Aaron changing the play at the line is a correction. He is given wide latitude at the line and they do a lot of muddle huddle where the playcall is determined by alignment and personnel.

Checks at the line can be a simple as protection--every play has this, if only to declare the MIKE for the line to call out their assignments.

They could be hot routes based on regular man, press man, off man, zone, cover-3, cover-1, cover-2, cover-0.

Some of them will absolutely be changes, but some of them are also dummy changes where the call is set in stone but Rodgers channels his inner flamenco flamingo but no changes are actually made.

True, I probably should not assume that. Though I think the point is that a fan knows what play they are running from the line of scrimmage, let alone any one that does football for a living.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, I probably should not assume that. Though I think the point is that a fan knows what play they are running from the line of scrimmage, let alone any one that does football for a living.

Eh, that's still a little wrong, a little right.

How it's right: As we are a zone running team, we basically have 4 running plays. Inside Left, Inside Right, Outside Right, Outside Right. We have more, but those four are probably 80-90%% of everything. The balance would be fullback dives, draws, a little bit of gap/pulling guards, and the odd end around/jet sweep.

How it's wrong: The verbiage of a WCO in theory allows near unlimited pass plays. The small novels of calls in the huddle basically expands out to "X, run this. Y, run this. Z, run this. Back, chip block and do this..." They also likely have common combinations of routes, but the point holds.

The idea that we can "call the play from home" overly simplifies playcalls in the NFL. Sure, you might be able to guess run/pass, but that's a 55/45 proposition at worst. I'd hope a knowledgable fan at home would guess a lot of those correctly.

But just looking at run plays. You'd have to successfully guess Run. Then direction. Then wide or inside. I doubt you or anyone else (certainly myself included) could get all three successive guess right without actual statistics in front of us. And we might still get it wrong, depending on how you "score" a cutback run.

Pass plays are harder yet, as there are 5 eligible receivers on the field and (at minimum) 9 common routes each could run (using the more commonly understood Air Coryell route tree: see here http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3893711/Coryell_Route_Tree_medium.jpg . I believe there are more routes in the modern WCO. I don't know of the Slugo route under Coryell.)

So once again, you've correctly guessed "pass." What is the actual play call? What routes are all 5 receivers doing? Worse, can we prove if you were right if we can't see the 2-4 receivers who go down field and leave the screen?

Of course, this isn't just blind defense of MM. I do think he relies too heavily on 11 personnel. To my memory, he used to do more subbing, particularly 2006-2010. I'd like to see such approaches as: A drive of all different groupings. Hurry up out of TE heavy sets (non-traditional heavy sets.) 4WR sets that have fake end arounds/jet sweeps and in general more motion. His base 11-personnel no huddle. I want variety in the pre-snap. I'm reasonably okay with the post-snap, at least in terms of play calls.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Hmmm kind of strange honestly...You decide!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't make up my mind. I'd like to think this is coincidental, but still Rodgers struggles run much deeper than his ability to throw.

Members online