Could another professional football league actually benefit the NFL?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well written Jim.

I think the most important question one has to ask is what is the ultimate goal of another league? #1: Is it to provide entertainment, more jobs, experience, etc.? Or #2, would it be to have, as you said, a "Farm/D League", which allows the current 32 NFL teams a lot more depth and the ability to better develop more than the 10 guys the current Practice Squads allow for?

If the answer is #1, I think you nailed it, alternative leagues been attempted in so many different ways over the years, I think another one is bound for failure. Now if the answer is #2, I like it simply from the mere fact that it would allow NFL teams to develop players and ultimately put a better product on the field every Sunday. Injuries, early retirement and suspensions seem to be on the rise and those have forced teams into playing guys that probably aren't truly ready for the NFL. A D league would retain potential talent and prepare them for the next step.

I won't regurgitate all of your article, but a "D League" would also have a key element to it, that no other alternative league has had, just like baseball, affiliation with a current team and its fan base. I for sure would follow a D team like "The Green Bay Cartons", simply from the fact that the team would be comprised of players that could eventually play for the Packers. Fans are rabid about anything that involves their team and the future of it. The questions the NFL would have to ask themselves are: 1. Can all 32 teams afford to operate a D team? 2. Would having twice as many "NFL players" dilute the current product? 3. Ultimately, the biggest driving force for NFL owners, Will it make us money?

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for reading, I appreciate that.

To me, the NFL backing an developmental league is the way to go. Really, as I put in the article, they should have kept the WLAF (not NFL Europe). The league needs a feeder league, it would help out so much.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thanks for reading, I appreciate that.

To me, the NFL backing an developmental league is the way to go. Really, as I put in the article, they should have kept the WLAF (not NFL Europe). The league needs a feeder league, it would help out so much.

You probably know more of the history behind the WLAF, but even with its affiliation to the NFL, it lacked the elements that I think are the key to success.....direct affiliation with a current NFL team as well as playing within their market. I kind of remember the league and teams held the rights to certain players, but watching a game just to see that one possible Packer recruit wasn't enough for me.

Maybe if they created a 16 team league, with each team being comprised of 2 NFL teams recruits, it wouldn't have to be as big or compete in as many markets. Imagine the "Packbears" taking on the "Vikelions". :coffee:

There definitely have been some good players that game out development leagues and without those leagues, I doubt many would recognize their names:

Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, John Kitna, Adam Vinatieri, William Refrigerator Perry, James Harrison, Jake Delhomme....

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts