The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they would've MADE it to as many SBs as they have, that's for certain.

I gotta disagree buddy. I don't understand how a team that has been as good as they've been for as long as they've been can be so underestimated. They'd have done fine in the NFC.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think they would've MADE it to as many SBs as they have, that's for certain.

The Patriots would have dominated in the NFC as well as they have won six of nine Super Bowls facing the best teams out of the conference.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta disagree buddy. I don't understand how a team that has been as good as they've been for as long as they've been can be so underestimated. They'd have done fine in the NFC.

The Patriots would have dominated in the NFC as well as they have won six of nine Super Bowls facing the best teams out of the conference.

Respectfully I disagree. You look at those wins The Patriots got against those NFC teams and you'll discover those were teams with losing records and when they actually played playoff caliber teams, they've struggled and barely beat them if they won.

Again maybe it's because The legend that is Brady is so great now that people tend to over exaggerate, but no way am I buying that he would've consecutively made it to The Superbowl as many times while battling the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Cam, Ryan, and other top nose defenses with decent QBs.

They would've gotten to some, but definitely not to 9.

D

Deleted member 6794

The statement is still true. The Patriots have definitely benefitted from playing against poor divisional competition. I never said it has been the worst division in football.

Once again, the Bills, Dolphins and Jets haven't been terrible against teams from outside the division. The Patriots being that dominate has created the impression they have struggled worse than they actually have.

Respectfully I disagree. You look at those wins The Patriots got against those NFC teams and you'll discover those were teams with losing records and when they actually played playoff caliber teams, they've struggled and barely beat them if they won.

What??? How did the Patriots end up playing an NFC team with a losing record in the Super Bowl???

Again maybe it's because The legend that is Brady is so great now that people tend to over exaggerate, but no way am I buying that he would've consecutively made it to The Superbowl as many times while battling the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Cam, Ryan, and other top nose defenses with decent QBs.

They would've gotten to some, but definitely not to 9.

You would have a point arguing the Bills, who lost four consecutive Super Bowls (three by a large margin), benefitted from playing in a weak conference.

It doesn't make any sense when talking about a team that has won six of nine games against the best team from the NFC with the title on the line though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think some here are not giving the AFC enough credit. They have won 14 of the last 22 SB's played. Once upon a time the AFC may have been the weaker of the two conferences, but I would say that is no longer the case.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think some here are not giving the AFC enough credit. They have won 14 of the last 22 SB's played. Once upon a time the AFC may have been the weaker of the two, but I would say that is no longer the case.
I would say that the AFC has been tough at the top during the reign of Brady and the Patriots. I mean, they had to go through Peyton Manning one way or the other every year, and have lost 3 of 4 to him in AFC title games if I'm not mistaken. And then you've got Big Ben and the Steelers who pose a legitimate threat more often than not.

But I think top to bottom, there isn't as much quality as the NFC in terms of the number of teams that are legitimate contenders.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let alone a weaker conference, especially at the QB position.

Yes, both you and PackAttack12 are correct but don't ever suggest that to a Patriot fan! I did that down here and they vehemently denied that the AFC and AFCE were weak as hell all this time! It is easy to win as much as they have when you get home field advantage every stinkin' year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yes, both you and PackAttack12 are correct but don't ever suggest that to a Patriot fan! I did that down here and they vehemently denied that the AFC and AFCE were weak as hell all this time! It is easy to win as much as they have when you get home field advantage every stinkin' year.
In fairness, the Patriots have still handled their business to consistently win at least 12 games a year to make that happen. I hope I don't get the book thrown at me for this OPINION, but I think that the roads would have been a little bit tougher in the NFC than the AFC for the Patriots. Not saying they would have won more, less, or the same. But I think it would've been tougher sledding.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness, the Patriots have still handled their business to consistently win at least 12 games a year to make that happen. I hope I don't get the book thrown at me for this OPINION, but I think that the roads would have been a little bit tougher in the NFC than the AFC for the Patriots. Not saying they would have won more, less, or the same. But I think it would've been tougher sledding.

I wonder if the NFC has been more competitive all these years rather than the AFC? When you look at the list of SB winners the last couple of decades there are 7 different NFC SB winners as compared to just 4 in the AFC since 2000.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
HERE IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO PLAY @Dante POCKET POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would say that the AFC has been tough at the top during the reign of Brady and the Patriots. I mean, they had to go through Peyton Manning one way or the other every year, and have lost 3 of 4 to him in AFC title games if I'm not mistaken. And then you've got Big Ben and the Steelers who pose a legitimate threat more often than not.

But I think top to bottom, there isn't as much quality as the NFC in terms of the number of teams that are legitimate contenders.

Yet the AFC has historically been better when matched up against the NFL

-1393 Wins for AFC (VS NFC)
-1307 Wins for NFC

The NFC went through a 15 year drought from 1996-2010 where they had a loosing record against the AFC each year.

https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years-of-afc-vs-nfc-matchups/

D

Deleted member 6794

Home field advantage wasn't given to the Patriots though, they had to earn it winning a ton of games.

In addition New England has won the Super Bowl three times after having to play the AFCCG on the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would be interesting if we could go back in time and have Rodgers under center for NE all these years and see if all of that success could have been duplicated.

Apparently, only if Aaron had been married to Gisele during that time. :coffee:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the Bills, Dolphins and Jets haven't been terrible against teams from outside the division. The Patriots being that dominate has created the impression they have struggled worse than they actually have.

What??? How did the Patriots end up playing an NFC team with a losing record in the Super Bowl???

You would have a point arguing the Bills, who lost four consecutive Super Bowls (three by a large margin), benefitted from playing in a weak conference.

It doesn't make any sense when talking about a team that has won six of nine games against the best team from the NFC with the title on the line though.
You're going to make me do this aren't you?

*sigh*

Standby I'll pull up some research to back my claim.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter as Brady hasn't taken less money than other quarterbacks in the league.
Brady himself has said he has taken less. Less than he could have gotten anyway, maybe not less than other QBs in the league.

Anyway, I thought we had this straightened out. He takes less in the short term, but signs frequent contracts so his pay stays high over time. Because at any given time, when he signed, he could/should have been the highest paid player in the league (arguably), but he hasn't been.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all if Atlanta wasn't stupid and simply run the time out then New England would've been in the same boat as us. On top of that New England's defense found the resolve to give Brady and company a chance, where our didn't. So hell yeah that's a break.

Second, we were botched kick return from going to The Superbowl. Don't get me started on how Brady was watching helplessly on the sidelines when one of the dumbest playcalling decisions in NFL history was ever made. So again that's a freaking break.
Okay, so you're saying those teams made stupid mistakes which handed them those Super Bowl wins. Not a bad point. But that's the thing about the Pats, they don't make those stupid mistakes. And unlike the Packers, they were in a position to win the game when those mistakes happened. And in the case of the Packers vs. the Seahawks, it was the Packers who make not just one stupid mistake, but multiple ones.

Yeah, the ONLY factor is the QB making less. Having the best GM/Coach ever has absolutely nothing to do with it...
I never said it was the only factor. And I already mentioned best GM/Coach since Lombardi. I won't give him the nod over Lombardi. Different eras and all that. Lombardi won five championships in seven years, no one else has done that. My point was Brady is an exceptional case.

As far as comparing him with Rodgers, I'm not even trying to do that. But as I said, Rodgers has had to play without a defense for the last eight years, so he's had a lot weighing him down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never seen a team like the Pats just take advantage of every mistake another team makes at the most opportune moments and never look back. I wish it was GB doing that, but i'm glad to witness it regardless and see with my own eyes.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I've never seen a team like the Pats just take advantage of every mistake another team makes at the most opportune moments and never look back. I wish it was GB doing that, but i'm glad to witness it regardless and see with my own eyes.
The Patriots are consistently among the most disciplined teams in the NFL. They do all of the little things. They know situational football better than everyone else. The Patriots wait for you to make the mistake, and then to your point, they pounce immediately.

It's quite amazing to watch. Really speaks to the brilliance of Bill Belichick.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so you're saying those teams made stupid mistakes which handed them those Super Bowl wins. Not a bad point. But that's the thing about the Pats, they don't make those stupid mistakes. And unlike the Packers, they were in a position to win the game when those mistakes happened. And in the case of the Packers vs. the Seahawks, it was the Packers who make not just one stupid mistake, but multiple ones.
So you pretty much acknowledge that New England won those two on a whim, due to the stupidity of the other two teams then?

On a serious note how did this go from a Brady discussion? I blame Gary for this to be honest! XD

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm glad to witness it (since it isn't GB). But I have to respect it. And it gives hope by showing that it's possible. I guess.

So you pretty much acknowledge that New England won those two on a whim, due to the stupidity of the other two teams then?
Nah, you don't win Super Bowls on a whim. They got there, they were in position to take advantage of the other teams' mistakes, and they did.

Members online

Latest posts