The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about spending ALL the money, after all, it isn't coming out of my bank account. I might not even be able to afford to buy shoes for these guys!
I'm not advocating that we spend all our money, but considering the market for a franchise QB, and factor along with the fact we have a historic QB in Rodgers, people act like he wasn't worth what he was given. Dare I say, it would seem as if they were making the case we're better off without him. If Rodgers hit the FA almost every franchise with the exception of a handful would be willing to pay this man top dollar.

The dude didn't have a great year by HIS standards, and even still he didn't have THAT bad of a year. He could've done better absolutely, but factoring in the predictable offensive schemes, the new receivers he was playing with, and he was injured in the first game, I think it's fair to give him some benefit of the doubt.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not advocating that we spend all our money, but considering the market for a franchise QB, and factor along with the fact we have a historic QB in Rodgers, people act like he wasn't worth what he was given. Dare I say, it would seem as if they were making the case we're better off without him. If Rodgers hit the FA almost every franchise with the exception of a handful would be willing to pay this man top dollar.

The dude didn't have a great year by HIS standards, and even still he didn't have THAT bad of a year. He could've done better absolutely, but factoring in the predictable offensive schemes, the new receivers he was playing with, and he was injured in the first game, I think it's fair to give him some benefit of the doubt.

My comment was said with tongue firmly in cheek. I stopped viewing the contracts as actual money, they are just numbers on a spread sheet to me. At the end of the day, each team has to figure out how those numbers add up to work for them, this season and into the future. Rodgers number must have worked for the Packers or they wouldn't have agreed to the deal. People can **** and moan that the number is wrong and it should be different, but that doesn't change a thing, the Packers and Rodgers agreed to a number and its in the books. Now had the stars aligned in 2018 and the Packers won the Super Bowl, there wouldn't be any complaining about the number, but the Packers and Rodgers had a bad year, so some are going to point the finger at that number and say "its Rodgers fault we are where we are".

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers' ego? How about Rodgers' performance demanded he get paid top dollar..
See my first sentence of the post you quoted. Anyway, surely you're not arguing Rodgers doesn't have an ego? I'd wager the vast majority of pro athletes have big egos. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Remember all those years of talk about how Rodgers had that chip on his shoulder, from sitting in the draft room on. If it powers him to play better, I'm all for it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See my first sentence of the post you quoted. Anyway, surely you're not arguing Rodgers doesn't have an ego? I'd wager the vast majority of pro athletes have big egos. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Remember all those years of talk about how Rodgers had that chip on his shoulder, from sitting in the draft room on. If it powers him to play better, I'm all for it.
I'm aware that Rodgers' has an ego, but again I still say it's his performance that demanded he get paid top dollar. If Rodgers played mediocre like Joe Flacco for instance, I'm certain he wouldn't make a fuss of being paid that much money simply because he play didn't demand it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For some, ego's are only viewed negatively when things go wrong. I didn't hear much talk about Aaron Rodger's ego when the Packers were winning and now suddenly its a problem?

D

Deleted member 6794

i'm not ignoring anything. i only wish that the new deal was at market value. again...they settled at ABOVE market value. market value was 28-30. which means he was asking for way more. they not only screwed themselves but everyone in the future by continuing the qb over-pay. it's got to stop. it's proven that outrageous qb money hasn't won anything. it weakens the roster. and anyway...my latest comments were how this statement is contradictory to his contract terms. it did nothing for winning and put a dent in his legacy. to this point his not-winning (SB's) has fallen, 98%, on the Packers' back. going forward the not-winning will mostly be on both parties for this dumb contract. so look for it to be business as usual at 1265. middling (or less) free agents, sweating the cap, and fingers crossed.

I agree that veteran quarterbacks are paid too much money making it extremely difficult to surround them with enough talent to make a Super Bowl run. But neither the Packers nor Rodgers set the market for the position.

Once again, it's true the Packers slightly overpaid to extend Rodgers but I don't get worked up about it as the team could save that kind of money by releasing a below average kicker.

think market value. that's where top 10 QB's land now...or did until the Packers felt they had to bump it 10+% to 33.5 for some reason. 6 or so years ago it was 20-22ish.

You have to realize that the salary cap was at $123 million in 2013 while it has been set at $188.2 million for next season as well though.

I think Aaron much over rated is whole career. His best years crap Qb like lions qb matched his yardage. The super bowl year the packers barely made the playoffs. He has 2 many 3 and outs, made 2 all pro te look like scrubs not throwing to them. Constantly throws offense out of sync trying get a penalty. Aaron solid player but not elite like everyone tries to say he is. If someone could make him aware the clock can’t be wasted and scoring can be achieved without advantage of a penalty he could be elite. As is all I can say is wow few interceptions and never trusted his receivers .

That is one of the worst posts I have read in a long time, in various ways.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some, ego's are only viewed negatively when things go wrong. I didn't hear much talk about Aaron Rodger's ego when the Packers were winning and now suddenly its a problem?

Sure. Even for real people in real jobs, unpleasant character traits are overlooked as long as one produces.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Aaron much over rated is whole career. His best years crap Qb like lions qb matched his yardage. The super bowl year the packers barely made the playoffs. He has 2 many 3 and outs, made 2 all pro te look like scrubs not throwing to them. Constantly throws offense out of sync trying get a penalty. Aaron solid player but not elite like everyone tries to say he is. If someone could make him aware the clock can’t be wasted and scoring can be achieved without advantage of a penalty he could be elite. As is all I can say is wow few interceptions and never trusted his receivers .
Brett is that you? Too ridiculous to say anything more.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR12 said:
“I think once we get going on some of the no-huddle stuff, that to me has always been what cements the offense into your head because you start simplifying things even more in no-huddle,” Rodgers said, via PackersNews.com. “So, I feel good about the offense. I feel good about the things we can do in it. But I think it’s just kind of in its infancy right now in training camp. I think it has a lot of room to grow and it’s going to be fun.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-lot-of-room-to-grow-and-its-going-to-be-fun/

“The on-the-field relationship is one that grows over time,” Rodgers said. “(LaFleur) hasn’t called a play into me in a game situation yet, so there’s a process of feeling comfortable with the way the play comes in, him trusting me and me trusting him. But I feel great about the communication. I mean, he’s in every meeting. We spend time one-on-one talking about stuff. He’s the main voice in the offensive room, but he really appreciates open conversation and ideas and creativity. So, it’s been a great relationship, a great start to it, and I look forward to that growing and getting into that rhythm with him as a play-caller.”

They do seem a bit loaded, but they they are more practical statements than a standard "It's all great. We are best buddies. SBs on the way" type interviews.

Fingers crossed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No kidding. All he did was throw for 4400 yards. That’s an All Pro year for any other QB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is that you? Too ridiculous to say anything more.
It must be Brett. So much for that friendship we’ve been hearing about!

As for Rodgers, he throws for 4400 yards with a 25/2 TD/INT ratio on a bad knee from Game One and it’s considered a sub-par year. On what planet?!

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right after MM was fired I was watching the NFL Channel and a former safety from the Steelers summed it up perfectly. He said in 2010 he studied the Packers offense for 2 weeks before the Super Bowl and Watching McCarthy’s last game against the Cardinals in 2018 he could call the play before the ball was snapped ‍♂️ Nuff Said!

D

Deleted member 6794

Right after MM was fired I was watching the NFL Channel and a former safety from the Steelers summed it up perfectly. He said in 2010 he studied the Packers offense for 2 weeks before the Super Bowl and Watching McCarthy’s last game against the Cardinals in 2018 he could call the play before the ball was snapped ‍♂️ Nuff Said!

That's interesting as I thought Rodgers was changing the majority of plays at the LOS.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Tony Romo do a similar trick on commentary with most teams?

Reaction score
This was an interesting perspective by those in the “know”. Although it comprises of a conglomerate of recent years polls, it shows pretty conclusively over 55 Head Coaches and Executives that our own fans are harder on #12 than the industry as a whole.
So much for rose colored glasses. Either that or we’re just plain spoiled?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ier-of-qbs-according-to-55-nfl-coaches-execs/

D

Deleted member 6794

This was an interesting perspective by those in the “know”. Although it comprises of a conglomerate of recent years polls, it shows pretty conclusively over 55 Head Coaches and Executives that our own fans are harder on #12 than the industry as a whole.
So much for rose colored glasses. Either that or we’re just plain spoiled?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ier-of-qbs-according-to-55-nfl-coaches-execs/

Of course, there are experts like Bucky Brooks as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-overrated-why-hes-not-a-topfive-quarterback

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, i bet the list is really long with reasons why he's not a top 5 QB LOL. I'm not even going to click. One wouldn't need more than 2 fingers to count the best 2 QB's in the league and one of them would be Rodgers and the other could be someone else.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was ever an agenda driven articles, this would be it. He even starts with how everyone in NFL rates him and then proceeds to criticize him. Philip Rivers and Wilson ahead with Luck at par....ffs. What a pathetic deluded person.
The funny thing is while Skip has a hate ***** for Rodgers, he will acknowledge that Rodgers is one of the best QBs in the league. Of course being behind Tom Brady.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-lot-of-room-to-grow-and-its-going-to-be-fun/

They do seem a bit loaded, but they they are more practical statements than a standard "It's all great. We are best buddies. SBs on the way" type interviews.

Fingers crossed.

Either way, all these fake Packer fan Rodgers hating trolls should jump off a building after reading that. Big big ******* myth that he is a coach killer has been debunked. Man some people on here are so stupid.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Tony Romo do a similar trick on commentary with most teams?

Tony Romo is better at understanding football than the vast majority of coaches or analysts out there. I'd guess there might be at most 5-7 coaches that know more about the Xs and Os of football than Romo. So Romo being able to do something doesn't mean it's actually an easy thing to do.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Romo is better at understanding football than the vast majority of coaches or analysts out there. I'd guess there might be at most 5-7 coaches that know more about the Xs and Os of football than Romo. So Romo being able to do something doesn't mean it's actually an easy thing to do.

Thing is when you put it like that though, makes you wonder why Jerry Jones hasn't tossed Garrett out the door yet and replaced him with Romo lol

Members online

Latest posts