The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the question that comes to my mind:
Why do Rodgers and the Packers get this sort of criticism from former players more so than most other quarterbacks and teams?

To some extent, Rodgers being a big name explains some of it. But you don't hear people saying stuff like this about Brady. I've said before, there is probably some fire here since there is some smoke, but I don't really care if Rodgers is something of a narcissistic, as long as he plays well. These guys are pampered athletes, and I don't expect them to be angels. Which is one reason the stuff with Favre never bothered me.
I guarantee if Rodgers had the accolaids and by that I mean rings, we'd hardly hear a peep from these former players. The problem is that Brady already had the 3 rings from his dynasty run so he was pretty much shielded from any criticism imo. Plus imo this whole Rodgers being a poor leader and individual was lead by the one Skip Bayless. The same guy that bashes Lebron and whatnot and as a result Skip would use these players points to highlight how poor an individual Arodg is. It then got worse when Cowherd joined in as well.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...i don't have disdain for rodgers. all i've said is he's become a prima donna, that the Packers made a horrible mistake extending him when they did at the rate they did (cap hit is too high), and that while he's still very good he's trending down and i'm concerned that his ego may prevent him from making the changes in his game that need to be made (coachablility).
And there have been several people myself included that dismantled your arguments in how he was a "prima donna" and so on. Dude at this point all evidence to the contrary that you hold some kind of disdain for Arodg. It's unfortunate, but you're certainly entitled to feeling that way if you do. If you don't it certainly seems that way.

I mean I've been critical on Rodgers myself, but not nearly as hard as you.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Packer fans, we are exposed to more of that information that is relevant to ex or current Packers. However, I am quite sure Rodgers isn't the only player to experience it.
Rodgers is definitely not the only player to have had some shade thrown at him. As has been noted, there's the Brown/Roethlisberger stuff going on. The Steelers inner turmoil looks worse than any of our such problems IMO.

And you are certainly right that the media loves to focus on the negative. Still, as quarterbacks go, I think Rodgers does get more than most. Of course he's more famous than most, and gets more praise than most, so there's that too.

I don't remember ex-players throwing shade at Brady about deflategate, that seemed to be more media and fan driven to me. But my memory isn't the best.

I guarantee if Rodgers had the accolaids and by that I mean rings, we'd hardly hear a peep from these former players. The problem is that Brady already had the 3 rings from his dynasty run so he was pretty much shielded from any criticism imo. Plus imo this whole Rodgers being a poor leader and individual was lead by the one Skip Bayless. The same guy that bashes Lebron and whatnot and as a result Skip would use these players points to highlight how poor an individual Arodg is. It then got worse when Cowherd joined in as well.
Interesting theory about Bayless. He and Cowherd do like to keep things stirred up with regard to Rodgers, especially since they have Greg Jennings right at hand since he's a Fox employee.

And Brady's success probably has protected him to some extent. It's often been said here that if Rodgers was winning, all this stuff would be reduced to a peep, and you'd only hear praise from the media.

However, I don't think it's unthinkable that perhaps Brady IS a better leader than Rodgers, and maybe a little more likable. Compare any two people, and one is likely to be more likable than the next. And obviously Brady possesses some intangibles.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is definitely not the only player to have had some shade thrown at him. As has been noted, there's the Brown/Roethlisberger stuff going on. The Steelers inner turmoil looks worse than any of our such problems IMO.

And you are certainly right that the media loves to focus on the negative. Still, as quarterbacks go, I think Rodgers does get more than most. Of course he's more famous than most, and gets more praise than most, so there's that too.

I don't remember ex-players throwing shade at Brady about deflategate, that seemed to be more media and fan driven to me. But my memory isn't the best.

Interesting theory about Bayless. He and Cowherd do like to keep things stirred up with regard to Rodgers, especially since they have Greg Jennings right at hand since he's a Fox employee.

And Brady's success probably has protected him to some extent. It's often been said here that if Rodgers was winning, all this stuff would be reduced to a peep, and you'd only hear praise from the media.

However, I don't think it's unthinkable that perhaps Brady IS a better leader than Rodgers, and maybe a little more likable. Compare any two people, and one is likely to be more likable than the next. And obviously Brady possesses some intangibles.
As the saying goes, winning cures everything. You think guys like MJ, a guy who constantly gambles, and punched a teammate in the face during practice, would be reverend as he is today? As for Brady and the leadership thing, it's easy to say that since he's more accomplished, but like I've stated before, I believe Rodgers from a skill position is equal if not better than Tom and with a guy like Belichick pushing him to new heights and the friendly system that is in NE, and playing in the AFC East, we could easily see how many things fell into Tom's favor. If he wasn't winning as much then his leadership would be brought into question, like Arodg is currently, in spite his efforts.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there have been several people myself included that dismantled your arguments in how he was a "prima donna" and so on. Dude at this point all evidence to the contrary that you hold some kind of disdain for Arodg. It's unfortunate, but you're certainly entitled to feeling that way if you do. If you don't it certainly seems that way.

I mean I've been critical on Rodgers myself, but not nearly as hard as you.
no one's dismantled anything. these are opinions. we can disagree on whether or not he's a prima donna/diva or not, or what level (he's definitely not on big ben level), but you can't disagree that his cap number is too high going forward or whether or not his performance in this new regime is a question mark.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Brady and the leadership thing, it's easy to say that since he's more accomplished
Yeah, there's no question he landed in a better situation than Rodgers did, especially with the defenses involved (A better situation than being QB for the Green Bay Packers? Insanity!). Mind you, I'm not saying Brady has better leadership qualities than Rodgers, I'm just saying it isn't unthinkable.

D

Deleted member 6794

Saw this last night. This is why Jordy was my favorite NFL player on The Packers. A real stand up guy, I honestly wouldn't mind trading him back. I miss Jordy.

Nelson is one of my favorite Packers as well but it's all but guaranteed he won't end up on the Packers again.

lol...i don't have disdain for rodgers. all i've said is he's become a prima donna, that the Packers made a horrible mistake extending him when they did at the rate they did (cap hit is too high), and that while he's still very good he's trending down and i'm concerned that his ego may prevent him from making the changes in his game that need to be made (coachablility).

Well, that sounds like you harbor a lot of disdain towards Rodgers.

Reaction score
The key part of that is "they go back to the well and get the same people to say the same stuff".
Yes.
A player who had 1/2 of one season accrued on the opposite side of the ball which nearly doesn’t even qualify.
A player who didn’t get the $$$ he thought he deserved and thus some signed elsewhere and was never as effective and obviously has regrets.
A player who was unfortunately cut short to a career ending injury and never really able to fulfill his legacy.
Let’s ask Donald Driver
Let’s ask James Jones
Let’s ask a person who doesn’t have some frustrations due to personal inadequacies, a life ending disease (being facetious here) or an axe to grind AND played Offense and finished in GB.

Let’s not try to search out 3 of the most disgruntled out of 50+players who could be found. Matter of fact let’s just call them all up and do a survey to see if everyone’s happy!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying I agree with gbgary, but you can recognize someone's flaws without having disdain for them.
There are flaws, and there are petty arguments. I've been critical of Rodgers, but sometimes the arguments he makes seem a bit petty at times.
Yes.
A player who had 1/2 of one season accrued on the opposite side of the ball which nearly doesn’t even qualify.
A player who didn’t get the $$$ he thought he deserved and thus some signed elsewhere and was never as effective and obviously has regrets.
A player who was unfortunately cut short to a career ending injury and never really able to fulfill his legacy.
Let’s ask Donald Driver
Let’s ask James Jones
Let’s ask a person who doesn’t have some frustrations due to personal inadequacies, a life ending disease (being facetious here) or an axe to grind AND played Offense and finished in GB.

Let’s not try to search out 3 of the most disgruntled out of 50+players who could be found. Matter of fact let’s just call them all up and do a survey to see if everyone’s happy!
Not only has James Jones spoke positively about Rodgers, but so has the likes of John Khun, AJ Hawk, (these three Colin Cowherd has interviewed and talked about Rodgers btw but fails to mention that) TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, (had an interview on Yahoo regarding Rodgers and talking about how he was a great teammate and leader) Charles Woodson and Julius Peppers (Two Future HOFs). The proof is in the pudding that this narrative that Rodgers is a bad teammate is moot. There has been more people that spoke positively about him than the negative. It's guys like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd that drives this narrative that Aaron Rodgers is a bad teammate.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are flaws, and there are petty arguments. I've been critical of Rodgers, but sometimes the arguments he makes seem a bit petty at times.

petty would be bringing up stuff like personal life or some such. cap, mentality, health/age/performance aren't petty. they're discussed everyday about every player in every sport. smh

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Not only has James Jones spoke positively about Rodgers, but so has the likes of John Khun, AJ Hawk, (these three Colin Cowherd has interviewed and talked about Rodgers btw but fails to mention that) TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, (had an interview on Yahoo regarding Rodgers and talking about how he was a great teammate and leader) Charles Woodson and Julius Peppers (Two Future HOFs). The proof is in the pudding that this narrative that Rodgers is a bad teammate is moot. There has been more people that spoke positively about him than the negative. It's guys like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd that drives this narrative that Aaron Rodgers is a bad teammate.

You answering and arguing an argument that only exists in your own mind ...

I haven’t read a post from Anyone here who have said ANYTHING about Rodgers being a bad teammate ... I’ve NEVER said that Rodgers was a bad teammate ... Thats only a select few of you kool-aid drinkens who THINK that ... as you always rethink arguments to better suit your attempt at rebuttal ...

What I’ve said though along with some others, is that Rodgers is a SUB-PAR LEADER !!! There is a HUGE difference !!! - IF you cant see that, you arent very bright ...

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You answering and arguing an argument that only exists in your own mind ...

I haven’t read a post from Anyone here who have said ANYTHING about Rodgers being a bad teammate ... I’ve NEVER said that Rodgers was a bad teammate ... Thats only a select few of you kool-aid drinkens who THINK that ... as you always rethink arguments to better suit your attempt at rebuttal ...

What I’ve said though along with some others, is that Rodgers is a SUB-PAR LEADER !!! There is a HUGE difference !!! - IF you cant see that, you arent very bright ...

And right on cue you showed up my arch nemesis. I was wondering when you were going to show up again. We missed you earlier.

Interesting how you inserted yourself into this matter, in regards to Rodgers being a bad teammate, when I clearly said guys like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd drive this narrative, where did I mention your name in my post, in regards to that hmm? So there goes your whole point right there. I never even brought your name up into this at all.

Interesting how I'm the person here that rethinks their arguments to fit there rebuttal.
:rolleyes:

I'll give you a minute to come up with an explanation for this one.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s ask Donald Driver
Driver also made some comments a few years back that Rodgers leadership wasn't all that it might be:

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/08/15/aaron-rodgers-receivers-greg-jennings-donald-driver

I won't say Rodgers is a bad leader, or a bad teammate, or a bad person, or a bad anything. But it seems pretty clear that he does rub some people the wrong way. Some of it, no doubt, is jealousy because the media praised him so much without giving the rest of the team credit. I mean, I don't care, I like Rodgers. I liked Favre. I don't expect them to be perfect.

And no doubt Bayless and Cowherd keeps this stuff stirred up, but I do think there would still be a story here without them. They aren't generally the original source for this stuff, they just jump on it when it pops up.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver also made some comments a few years back that Rodgers leadership wasn't all that it might be:

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/08/15/aaron-rodgers-receivers-greg-jennings-donald-driver

I won't say Rodgers is a bad leader, or a bad teammate, or a bad person, or a bad anything. But it seems pretty clear that he does rub some people the wrong way. Some of it, no doubt, is jealousy because the media praised him so much without giving the rest of the team credit. I mean, I don't care, I like Rodgers. I liked Favre. I don't expect them to be perfect.

And no doubt Bayless and Cowherd keeps this stuff stirred up, but I do think there would still be a story here without them. They aren't generally the original source for this stuff, they just jump on it when it pops up.
If I remember correctly Driver simply said that Rodgers holds his teammates accountable. I remember there being a small backlash in which Driver went on his twitter and said he wasn't criticizing Rodgers because someone asked him about it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Driver simply said that Rodgers holds his teammates accountable. I remember there being a small backlash in which Driver went on his twitter and said he wasn't criticizing Rodgers because someone asked him about it.
Driver's quote was in the article. Sounds at least a little critical, or as the article puts it, friendly with an edge. Driver's a classy guy, he's going to be diplomatic. He's also trying to explain what Jennings said in a friendly light. No one's saying Rodgers is Adolf ****** here, but this does sound mildly critical:

“We’ve always said that the quarterback is the one that needs to take the pressure off everyone else. If a guy runs the wrong route, it’s easy for the quarterback to say, ‘Hey, I told him to run that route’ than for the guy to be like, ‘Well, I ran the wrong route.’ Sometimes you ask Aaron to take the pressure off the guys so we won’t look bad, but he didn’t want to do that. He felt like if you did something bad, you do it. But I think that’s the difference. You want that leadership, and I think sometimes you may not feel like you got it. You have to earn that respect at the end of the day, and I think that’s what Greg was probably referring to.

“He’s a nice guy. I think that’s what you have to respect. I played with him five years so I was able to experience everything he went through. I saw when he first got drafted, he came in with a chip on his shoulder in that draft, and it shouldn’t have been Alex Smith [taken No. 1 overall]. That’s the way the guy is. I’ve always told Aaron, ‘Don’t forget where you come from because the people are the ones who put you on that pedestal. You didn’t put yourself there.’ I think that’s what we learning now. I’m not saying he’s a bad guy, I think he’s a great guy. I’m friends with Aaron.”

Reaction score

Yeah. At least Driver was respectful in his approach.

A good lesson for Jennings to learn is that if you don’t like the fashion of someone’s personality you shouldn’t try to change them to fit your standards. And you definitely don’t go public and try to crucify the guy and start a war. I seem to remember someone teaching us to be forgiving, to me that also means to give people allowances. Giving people the benefit of the doubt or allowing them to change etc.. there’s so much worse stuff going on than to get involved in this kind of petty thing. It’s what we in the south call “Common”. That’s not a compliment either.
For me personally? Even if Jennings is 100% perfect and never made a mistake or irritated anyone his entire life, it makes Jennings behavior look borderline childish. This type of behavior is what I expect from an adult with child tendencies (typical When we were 20 year old stuff) He’s too old for that he needs to grow up and it’s irritating listening to him sit on a pedestal and berate others. He’s about to bring some bad Karma on himself...if he hadn’t already. Mark my words

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Not saying I agree with gbgary, but you can recognize someone's flaws without having disdain for them.

While that's true it seems to me that doesn't apply in this situation.

petty would be bringing up stuff like personal life or some such. cap, mentality, health/age/performance aren't petty. they're discussed everyday about every player in every sport. smh

You don't know anything about Rodgers' mentality though.

You have absolutely no idea about Rodgers' leadership skills.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have absolutely no idea about Rodgers' leadership skills.

Agreed. Everyone leads differently as I've said multiple times.

I noticed he conveniently hasn't responded to what I said in regards to my post yet after I pointed out that I never even mentioned his name in regards to the narrative of Rodgers being a bad teammate and that it was guys like Skip and Colin that drove this narrative.

I'm just waiting to see how he backpedals out of this one.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed. Everyone leads differently as I've said multiple times.

I noticed he conveniently hasn't responded to what I said in regards to my post yet after I pointed out that I never even mentioned his name in regards to the narrative of Rodgers being a bad teammate and that it was guys like Skip and Colin that drove this narrative.

I'm just waiting to see how he backpedals out of this one.
You won't get a response. Every time he feels cornered, he doesn't respond. Because he doesn't have a solid rebuttal. I've called him out multiple times over the past few weeks on comments he's made, and he doesn't respond. Because he wants to continue his nonsensical drivel about Rodgers, without having to answer for how stupid it sounds.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't get a response. Every time he feels cornered, he doesn't respond. Because he doesn't have a solid rebuttal. I've called him out multiple times over the past few weeks on comments he's made, and he doesn't respond. Because he wants to continue his nonsensical drivel about Rodgers, without having to answer for how stupid it sounds.
Oh I'm aware. There's a reason I call him my arch nemesis as he and I have done constant battle, but it's all in good fun. It's just this time around I didn't have do anything, he set himself up. I just want to see if he can dig himself out the hole he put himself in.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know anything about Rodgers' mentality though.
true. that's just the thing though...no one does...but very recent history has given us some clues that raise questions about it. his demeanor, undermining of macarthy, going rogue on the field, contract, not fixing the knee. all of those have been topics of discussion...everywhere. where is his head at? the coachability thing now that he's an old dog...can/will he learn new tricks? is he going to be a sponge or a rock? only time will tell.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true...but very recent history have given us some clues that raise questions about it. his demeanor, undermining of macarthy, going rogue on the field, contract, not fixing the knee. all of those have been topics of discussion...everywhere. where is his head at? the coachability thing now that he's an old dog...can/will he learn new tricks? is he going to be a sponge or a rock? only time will tell.
Oh so after one season, his leadership is brought into questionability? Let's see here.

Regarding his demeanor: Considering he was blindsided this year in both the loss of his QB coach, and losing his most trusted receiver in Jordy Nelson. then considering the load he has been carrying over the years, plus developing trust with the new receivers, factor in the fact he came back from a collarbone injury from last year...

Undermining McCarthy/Going Rogue: Dude we've all said McCarthy's play calling have been both stale and questionable. Rodgers may have changed the play a few times, but let's not act like it's a constant thing. From our knowledge, whenever Rodgers did change the team benefited from it. Plus the team has questioned McCarthy's play calling along with Rodgers.

Contract: Rodgers has earned that contract enough said.

Fixing his knee: Um what? Okay now you're just reaching. This is EXACTLY why people like myself accuse you of just not liking Rodgers. At this point just admit it.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts