The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow I feel you would rather like to be correct about it instead of the Packers winning another title with him though.
well hell no. i'm just trying to inject some reality into the discussion. i'm a Packers fan first over any player. i don't want to see 8-8 for the next 3+ years but i fear that's our fate for the decisions around rodgers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
well hell no. i'm just trying to inject some reality into the discussion. i'm a Packers fan first over any player. i don't want to see 8-8 for the next 3+ years but i fear that's our fate for the decisions around rodgers.
The guy has failed to produce winning results one season since 2008 and everyone is losing their ever loving minds. And a season in which he had a knee injury that would keep most guys off the field.

Just stop it with the overreaction.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying Rodgers struggled last season but it remains to be seen if he can rebound or he's truly trending downwards.
His talent doesn't concern me, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy for several seasons now. Getting older doesn't make that any easier.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy has failed to produce winning results one season since 2008 and everyone is losing their ever loving minds. And a season in which he had a knee injury that would keep most guys off the field.

Just stop it with the overreaction.
^*he said as he was running from reality*

it's not just about what happens on the field. that's one third of it. another third is his health/age/attitude, with the last third being his cap hit...especially after 2019...but ok. ;)

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
^*he said as he was running from reality*

it's not just about what happens on the field. that's one third of it. another third is his health/age/attitude, with the last third being his cap hit...especially after 2019...but ok. ;)
lmao.

Thanks for correcting me. Ages 35-40 are just absolutely ancient in the NFL. Never mind the fact that Peyton Manning had his greatest year ever at age 37, Favre had his greatest year ever at age 40, Brady had one of his best years ever winning the MVP at age 40, etc.

Yet Rodgers at 35 is in decline.

okay.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao.

Thanks for correcting me. Ages 35-40 are just absolutely ancient in the NFL. Never mind the fact that Peyton Manning had his greatest year ever at age 37, Favre had his greatest year ever at age 40, Brady had one of his best years ever winning the MVP at age 40, etc.

Yet Rodgers at 35 is in decline.

okay.
they were all in different stages of decline too. they were helped out by having very good teams around them. that's where the cap hit hurts rodgers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If they get Rodgers the help he needs and finally quit treating the offense like a "Red Headed Step Child" and literally starving it to death everything will be fine and we will be winning again in no time. Rodgers will win an MVP and the Packers will contend for a Super Bowl.

I have carefully looked at the LaFleur offense schematically and this is what we need to do.

Free Agency

Its more special teams but release Mason Crosby. Time to move on and draft a kicker while bringing in competition. With the offense we will have below we wont be kicking to many FG's :cool:

Release Bryan Bulaga- Good player but his body is shot and he is damaged goods. Time to move on and save some cap space to use for other players.

They need to get a Guard- Kelechi Osemele has ties to Milt Hendrickson from back at Baltimore and this would be a huge signing as the Raiders are believed to be letting him go. We could have the inside track here.

Offer a 3rd round pick for Antonio Brown- I know some people can't handle this but the bottom line is we finally would get a player that plays to his contract. We would also have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL. Things would get very very exciting.

Sign a free agent RT, I have some names here but well need to see who is released and who makes it to free agency. I have a feeling the guy we get is still on a roster right now. If they have to draft Tackle instead of guard then that might leave us a player short but well see. $ could become an issue here.

Draft- There are two players in particular the Packers should target on the offensive side that are very "scheme specific" to what LaFleur does and would be very valuable immediately.

Chris Lindstrom G, This guy is cut from the cloth to play Guard in what LaFleur likes to do up front. He along with Osemele and Taylor would have us set up for a 16 game season at guard to keep this offense rolling hot.

Parris Campbell WR/Slot Lafleur loves misdirection in his scheme and Campbell is the perfect weapon to scheme that in and he could contribute immediately in that role. Campbell can score from anywhere on the field. He gives us the short area speed to keep our posession guys clean. Graham would benefit greatly from this. With Brown and Adams working outside and Campbell keeping defenses honest we would have the potential to make 2011 records fall. In fact I would be surprised if we didn't with all these upgrades.

Day 3 sleepers

LJ Scott RB, Had a really good beginning at MSU before his offensive line went to crap. He is an NFL back all the way and I believe would fill out our RB by committee very nicely

Keesean Johnson WR, This guy is going to make someone's roster and be a steal. A lot of people compare him to Devante Adams but I believe he is more like Keenan Allen.

Luxury Pick, TJ Hockenson, If the Packers want to send this whole thing over the top and add Hockenson or another TE that can stretch the seam to this "Ferrari With Snow Tires" Rodger Goodell might have to change the rules because nobody would be able to stop us. It would be unfair. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think we should all pretend like Rodgers is on a downhill slide. I want our competitors to think we suck right up until the point they realize there’s no way in hell they will win the game :cry:

I’ll never forget the story an X packer player told in a recent interview about how Holmgren told him to pretend like they sucked every chance they got in the media :laugh:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think we should all pretend like Rodgers is on a downhill slide. I want our competitors to think we suck right up until the point they realize there’s no way in hell they will win the game :cry:

I’ll never forget the story an X packer player told in a recent interview about how Holmgren told him to pretend like they sucked every chance they got in the media :laugh:

Rodgers isn't in decline. The overall offensive talent is. We just need to get him some help.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Aaron-Rodgers-MVP-2019-ESPN-129063009/

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems you're way too negative when evaluating Rodgers though.

His talent doesn't concern me, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy for several seasons now. Getting older doesn't make that any easier.

I agree that Rodgers injuries are a reason to be worried.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems you're way too negative when evaluating Rodgers though.
I think you're confusing him for Quientus in that regard. But in all seriousness it's good we have people that are overly critical as they do provide different aspects to look at and whatnot.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they were all in different stages of decline too. they were helped out by having very good teams around them. that's where the cap hit hurts rodgers.
Didn't they all have similar cap hits ? Our cap has been nearly used up for years, but the talent hasn't reflected it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you're confusing him for Quientus in that regard. But in all seriousness it's good we have people that are overly critical as they do provide different aspects to look at and whatnot.

gbgary has been pretty outspoken about his disdain for Rodgers as well.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/foot...cle_d2b161b9-70e1-57d5-aa9d-1b7d56010913.html

Here some from Jordy:

“Everyone knows negativity sells,” the ex-Packers and current Oakland Raiders wide receiver said in an interview on ESPN Wisconsin earlier this week. “People don’t want to hear (the good). People feel better about themselves when they hear bad things about other people. And that’s why that gets more pub.

“I mean, no one wants to hear that Aaron’s not only obviously a great quarterback but a great leader and does everything right. All right, there’s your story. What fun is that? So whenever they can, they go back to the well and get the same people to say the same stuff.”

Jordy is his best pal and so his opinions are understandable. But the Greg and Finley do a bit of glory hunting on their own with Rodgers.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_10-35-56.png
    upload_2019-2-22_10-35-56.png
    73 bytes · Views: 66

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The difference between Jordy and the Rodger's detractors is that Jordy doesn't need to make negative comments to try and stay relevant.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy is his best pal and so his opinions are understandable. But the Greg and Finley do a bit of glory hunting on their own with Rodgers.
Here's the question that comes to my mind:
Why do Rodgers and the Packers get this sort of criticism from former players more so than most other quarterbacks and teams?

To some extent, Rodgers being a big name explains some of it. But you don't hear people saying stuff like this about Brady. I've said before, there is probably some fire here since there is some smoke, but I don't really care if Rodgers is something of a narcissistic, as long as he plays well. These guys are pampered athletes, and I don't expect them to be angels. Which is one reason the stuff with Favre never bothered me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's the question that comes to my mind:
Why do Rodgers and the Packers get this sort of criticism from former players more so than most other quarterbacks and teams?

To some extent, Rodgers being a big name explains some of it. But you don't hear people saying stuff like this about Brady. I've said before, there is probably some fire here since there is some smoke, but I don't really care if Rodgers is something of a narcissistic, as long as he plays well. These guys are pampered athletes, and I don't expect them to be angels. Which is one reason the stuff with Favre never bothered me.

I can't pretend to say that I follow other teams close enough to be 100% sure, but generally speaking it seems like some ex players when given a platform are more apt to talk about or be prompted to talk about the negatives. As Packer fans, we are exposed to more of that information that is relevant to ex or current Packers. However, I am quite sure Rodgers isn't the only player to experience it. After all, that seems to be what the media and some fans thrive on. Few people want to hear Jennings or Finley talk about their positive moments, but get off on the negative stuff.

As far as Brady goes, he had Deflategate and I am sure a host of other negatives thrown at him by ex players or fans.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brown vs Big Ben readily comes to mind. Almost an identical issue.

As to Pats, I reckon most players realize that it's more to Bill than Brady....they owe their success to. Last season was prime example of below par Brady still winning the SB due to BB's masterplan. I doubt Bill lets anyone even Brady question his authority over the team. I can't think of any other coach who demands (and deserves) that level of control. No wonder Brady doesn't have the same attitude as AR12, it just is not permitted.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
no. their cap hits were all below 11% of their teams cap. rodgers is 13.9% now but after this year it will hit 16%+ depending on what the cap is set at in 2021.

I'm relying on these being accurate, if they are, AR will have the 7th highest cap hit in 2019. Potentially the highest in 2020 and 2nd highest in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbgary has been pretty outspoken about his disdain for Rodgers as well.
lol...i don't have disdain for rodgers. all i've said is he's become a prima donna, that the Packers made a horrible mistake extending him when they did at the rate they did (cap hit is too high), and that while he's still very good he's trending down and i'm concerned that his ego may prevent him from making the changes in his game that need to be made (coachablility).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Brown vs Big Ben readily comes to mind. Almost an identical issue.

As to Pats, I reckon most players realize that it's more to Bill than Brady....they owe their success to. Last season was prime example of below par Brady still winning the SB due to BB's masterplan. I doubt Bill lets anyone even Brady question his authority over the team. I can't think of any other coach who demands (and deserves) that level of control. No wonder Brady doesn't have the same attitude as AR12, it just is not permitted.

You actually bring up a good point, given the Patriots success over the last 18 or so years, ex Patriot players would probably look pretty foolish ripping on Brady or the Patriots.

Latest posts