The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's logical. The longer a star quarterback is in the league, the more money he tends to make. Has Rodgers ever signed a contract for less money than the previous one? As you point out, it's true that there is salary inflation, but star players also tend to make money as time goes on because they've proven their worth. That may not be true if the athlete is no longer producing, but that isn't the case with Brady obviously, he just added a sixth ring.
I don’t care enough about this discussion to expand too much here.... but Brady’s career started before Rodgers ...so it stands to reason that he would be behind Rodgers at this point in total earnings due to salary inflation.

H

HardRightEdge

$33.5 wasn't market value. 28-30 was...and that's for guys younger than rodgers. Packers exploded market value here and for a still good but down-trending older qb on top of that.
It's funny how "pay the man!" has gone to downtrending and aging, the GOAT has become the goat.

So, who proposed Rodgers be traded rather than extended? You wouldn't want to pay "28-3o" for downtrending and aging. I recall one guy proposing that, I cannot remember who, and if I may say so I was not entirely against the idea considering the value he might bring with 2 years left on a "cheap" contract.

But that would require a rebuild with a risky "franchise" draft pick and few wanted to tolerate that either. 20/20 hindsight is b*tch. I mean that literally, the whiny, needy kind.

H

HardRightEdge

I don’t care enough about this discussion to expand too much here.... but Brady’s career started before Rodgers ...so it stands to reason that he would be behind Rodgers at this point in total earnings due to salary inflation.
I also don't care enough about this discussion to expand any further other than to say what you just said makes absolutely no sense. Brady has been an elite QB for every year Rodgers has been in the league, and then some. We're not talking about a guy who played 5 years or retired in 2010.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't care enough about this discussion to expand any further other than to say what you just said makes absolutely no sense. Brady has been an elite QB for every year Rodgers has been in the league, and then some. We're not talking about a guy who played 5 years or retired in 2010.
lmao Didn’t Rodgers just sign a contract last year making him the highest paid player in the league ... with a giant signing bonus... ?? timing is everything. which is the point. whatever....

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think that if you are a star athlete in the NFL, that the longer you are in the league, the less money you're going to make? Yes, salary inflation is a factor, but so is how established a star is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but logically, a star player in 2009 is making a lot less than a star player in 2019. I think all swhitset is trying to say, as I said in an earlier post, instead of comparing total $'s of two players who's careers have spanned over different time periods and have signed contracts at different times during those years, you would need to adjust those numbers for those factors. Hell, in 1990 Joe Montana was the top paid player ever in the NFL, when he signed a 4 year $13M deal.

H

HardRightEdge

lmao Didn’t Rodgers just sign a contract last year making him the highest paid player in the league ... with a giant signing bonus... ?? timing is everything. which is the point. whatever....
And there's no reason New England's last two year extension of Brady in 2016 couldn't have made him the highest paid player. But it didn't. That is the point, or better yet, one point among several over the years. "Whatever", or it's brother, "it is what it is", is never an answer to anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is under contract for another five seasons, maybe it would be smart to wait a bit before evaluating his contract after a single season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is under contract for another five seasons, maybe it would be smart to wait a bit before evaluating his contract after a single season.
People call a season less than 5 minutes into the 1st game, some before that even. An entire season is Plenty to evaluate with. It probably removed Rodgers from any future HOF considerations too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People call a season less than 5 minutes into the 1st game, some before that even. An entire season is Plenty to evaluate with. It probably removed Rodgers from any future HOF considerations too

I see what you did there ;) We definitely need a "sarcasm" emoji. Someone get Shaggy on that pronto!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
:whistling:, which I take to mean "yeah, right", would do the trick. The little fella is rolling his eyes. :tup:
Or this one... :rolleyes: after your own sarcastic post.

I take the :whistling: emoji as more of a "I am being sneaky funny" or pointing out the obvious.....but I guess we all have our own interpretations. :alien:

H

HardRightEdge

Or this one... :rolleyes: after your own sarcastic post.

I take the :whistling: emoji as more of a "I am being sneaky funny" or pointing out the obvious.....but I guess we all have our own interpretations. :alien:
The rolly eyed fella works too, but I've not liked using him that much. To my eye he's got more of smile than a smirk, more friendly than derisive.

Anyway, sarcasm can be expressed in a lot of ways depending on context, my next post being an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Thanks for the clarification. :tup:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how "pay the man!" has gone to downtrending and aging, the GOAT has become the goat.

So, who proposed Rodgers be traded rather than extended? You wouldn't want to pay "28-3o" for downtrending and aging. I recall one guy proposing that, I cannot remember who, and if I may say so I was not entirely against the idea considering the value he might bring with 2 years left on a "cheap" contract.

But that would require a rebuild with a risky "franchise" draft pick and few wanted to tolerate that either. 20/20 hindsight is b*tch. I mean that literally, the whiny, needy kind.
i proposed trading him...to cleveland...for their first round picks and then some...and drafting mayfield, b. chubb, +, +. they didn't. that left them no choice but to extend him. no one else had the draft fodder that cle had. the problem was they extended him too soon, for too much, for too long. as i said earlier they should have slotted him with ben, brady, brees. yes he's still good but there's no question he's down-trending. now they have this one off-season to make some moves before his cap hit gets ridiculous.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Actually the jury is still out on if Rodgers is trending downwards.
Yeah I think it's funny how some are making the claim that Rodgers is trending downward just because he had an off year (in which he had a knee injury that would keep many out of the lineup).

I guess he was trending downward in 2015 too. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's funny how some are making the claim that Rodgers is trending downward just because he had an off year (in which he had a knee injury that would keep many out of the lineup).

I guess he was trending downward in 2015 too. :rolleyes:

Agreed and I would add into that, pretty much the entire team, short of Adams, had a "down year", this includes the coaching staff.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers isn't threading needles like he used to. he's overthrowing and underthrowing guys. he's throwing the ball away instead of completing a pass that's even semi-contested. and the coachability thing never used to come up. his numbers are generally still good but have steadily curved downward from his 2011 peak. click on all these different categories for 2018 and see where he sits...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm
26th in comp%, 13th in rating, 20th in qbr, etc

it's not too late for him to adapt his game to his current abilities but will he?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it's not too late for him to adapt his game to his current abilities but will he?

I guess all we can do is wait and find out. We will also see if a new coaching staff helps as well. Lots of questions, but answers will only come in the form of actions.

H

HardRightEdge

i proposed trading him...to cleveland...for their first round picks and then some...and drafting mayfield, b. chubb, +, +. they didn't. that left them no choice but to extend him. no one else had the draft fodder that cle had. the problem was they extended him too soon, for too much, for too long. as i said earlier they should have slotted him with ben, brady, brees. yes he's still good but there's no question he's down-trending. now they have this one off-season to make some moves before his cap hit gets ridiculous.
That trade would have been interesting and I would not have complained. Cleveland might not have been interested were it offered. It remains a speculation and a woulda, shoulda, coulda. I'd note that Rodgers cap number goes up $6 mil from 2019 to 2020, not exactly a circumstances calling for extreme measures in 2019. And it's not as thought the cap space allows that anyway. Compare that bump to the aggregate $5 mil in raises over contracted amounts for 2019 given to Martinez, Fackrell, Lowry and Morrison under the CBA's performance escalators. I can't say I've seen a peep about that in the forum, though I certainly don't read everthing.
rodgers isn't threading needles like he used to. he's overthrowing and underthrowing guys. he's throwing the ball away instead of completing a pass that's even semi-contested. and the coachability thing never used to come up. his numbers are generally still good but have steadily curved downward from his 2015 peak. click on all these different categories for 2018 and see where he sits...

Here's another way to look at it. Rodgers completion percentage in 2018 was 62.3%. From his first year as a starter through 2017 his completion percentage was 65.2% That's a 3 completion difference out of 100 throws, a little more than one additional incompletion per game. Exagerate much? Playing on a bum knee, the slot receiver missing half the year, a couple of rookies getting a lot of snaps, and an offensive line that left something to be desired, I think one additional incompletion per game is hardly shocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

rodgers isn't threading needles like he used to. he's overthrowing and underthrowing guys. he's throwing the ball away instead of completing a pass that's even semi-contested. and the coachability thing never used to come up. his numbers are generally still good but have steadily curved downward from his 2015 peak. click on all these different categories for 2018 and see where he sits...

There's no denying Rodgers struggled last season but it remains to be seen if he can rebound or he's truly trending downwards.

I hope for all of us that he's able to play at an elite level once again. Somehow I feel you would rather like to be correct about it instead of the Packers winning another title with him though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts