The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
How in the world does that support your case?

First of all none of those teams are making the playoffs so it's like comparing dog **** to cat ****. However, Cleveland actually has more firepower then us.

Let me be clear. Until we upgrade this offense were not going anywhere.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm just getting real tired of hearing how some DB or Edge rusher is gonna transcend us to greatness. It's a Fraud

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all none of those teams are making the playoffs so it's like comparing dog **** to cat ****. However, Cleveland actually has more firepower then us.

Let me be clear. Until we upgrade this offense were not going anywhere.

First of all, really? Jarvis Landry and co. is better than Davante Adams?

And I'll be clear as well, if Aaron Rodgers continues to play at the level he has this year, we're not going anywhere.

Doesn't really matter who your linemen are when you're in the pocket for 4-6 seconds, your protection is going to break down eventually.

Doesn't really matter who your receivers are when you overthrow them by several yards, they're not going to catch it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
First of all, really? Jarvis Landry and co. is better than Davante Adams?

And I'll be clear as well, if Aaron Rodgers continues to play at the level he has this year, we're not going anywhere.

Doesn't really matter who your linemen are when you're in the pocket for 4-6 seconds, your protection is going to break down eventually.

Doesn't really matter who your receivers are when you overthrow them by several yards, they're not going to catch it.

They said the same thing about Drew Brees for a couple years and then they re-loaded and re-tooled the offense and now there burning rubber and Super Bowl contenders.

Rodgers is our best asset and it's about damn time to take notice of how other teams are winning with offense around the league. Also, we need to quite thinking we can shop at Value Village or Good Will all the time for all our offensive needs. It finally caught up with us.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They said the same thing about Drew Brees for a couple years and then they re-loaded and re-tooled the offense and now there burning rubber and Super Bowl contenders.

Rodgers is our best asset and it's about damn time to take notice of how other teams are winning with offense around the league. Also, we need to quite thinking we can shop at Value Village or Good Will all the time for all our offensive needs. It finally caught up with us.

I'm not saying Rodgers is cooked. I'm saying he's played really poorly this year and needs to play better if we're going to contend again.

And I don't really know why you bothered to ask me which offense is doing more with less. You asked the question, I answered it, and then you changed the whole narrative. Tampa Bay is bad because their defense is an albatross.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not saying Rodgers is cooked. I'm saying he's played really poorly this year and needs to play better if we're going to contend again.

And I don't really know why you bothered to ask me which offense is doing more with less. You asked the question, I answered it, and then you changed the whole narrative. Tampa Bay is bad because their defense is an albatross.

My narrative is simple. Rodgers didn't play at his best this year but to me a heck of a lot of it comes down to not stocking the shelves appropriately on the offensive side which is a cummulative effect of years of skimping on adding top offensive talent while blowing all our premium capital on defense.

Once again I brought this up countless times during the offseason and was mostly given the answer that "We have Aaron Rodgers coming back healthy, Well be fine."

Well not only was it not fine. It was a disaster. :eek: This is mostly what fuels my frustration.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My narrative is simple. Rodgers didn't play at his best this year but to me a heck of a lot of it comes down to not stocking the shelves appropriately on the offensive side which is a cummulative effect of years of skimping on adding top offensive talent while blowing all our premium capital on defense.

Once again I brought this up countless times during the offseason and was mostly given the answer that "We have Aaron Rodgers coming back healthy, Well be fine."

Well not only was it not fine. It was a disaster. :eek: This is mostly what fuels my frustration.

Well, they spent big money to retain all their key young players on offense -- to keep Adams, to keep Bahk. They spent to keep Cobb. They spent $10M a year for Graham. They signed Martellus last year. They drafted 3 RBs in one draft trying to replace Lacy. I don't think it was for a lack of trying. Yes they have invested heavily on defense, but that's been out of necessity too.

And yes, the people who said that were wrong, but I think they assumed Rodgers would play better than this.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, they spent big money to retain all their key young players on offense -- to keep Adams, to keep Bahk. They spent to keep Cobb. They spent $10M a year for Graham. They signed Martellus last year. They drafted 3 RBs in one draft trying to replace Lacy. I don't think it was for a lack of trying. Yes they have invested heavily on defense, but that's been out of necessity too.

And yes, the people who said that were wrong, but I think they assumed Rodgers would play better than this.

The only first round pick on the entire offense other then Rodgers is Bulaga(32nd pick in 2011). Sorry, but I'm not seeing the reward of all our defensive picks. Its Pettine more then anything with the D improving somewhat.

It's a "30 point league" with the first team to 30 usually winning. We need to stack our offense to hit that mark while not letting the defense completely regress which shouldn't be hard. It's now or never to give Rodgers more talented weapons. Right now we have a Corvette with a 4cyl engine. Time to upgrade.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll vote D: all of the above. Rodgers has continuously wasted opportunities for decent gains with short passes. He's been holding the ball too long while looking downfield for the big gainer. Plus, it drives me nuts when he makes those frustrated gestures to the receivers. He obviously blames them when they don't connect. He beginning to remind me of Jay Cutler. He thinks he's perfect and any incompletion is the fault of the receiver.

This team needs a major overhaul. No pass rush needs addressed. Offensive line needs addressed. Special teams suck. The linebacker corps needs help. Strength and conditioning needs attention. Packers have way too many injuries every damn season. A new coaching staff and some smart roster moves can get this team back on track.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time I have thought this... Rodgers is on the decline. I strongly believe the Barr collarbone injury has ruined his once all time great deep ball ability. Only fully healthy season he has had since 2013 was 2016. 2013 he had the first collarbone injury, 2014 he had the calf at the end of the year and the playoffs, I may be reaching but 2015 he looked like he was hurt even though no big injury was reported (regardless didn't perform that great season), 2016 healthy, 2017 collarbone, 2018 knee injury. I have thought for the longest time Rodgers is stuck with Green Bay, but maybe the Packers are now stuck with him.

Reaction score
I know it’s frustrating losing and it’s relieving to blame someone, but c’mon I’ve seen nearly every player and position coach called out during the course of 2018. That alone tells me any argument of Aaron’s negligence is at best one tiny part of this teams woes.
What I saw this Sunday was one of the best Defenses in the league playing inspired at their house for their first playoff birth in 8 years. GB has been their nemesis and GB has mediocre O talent outside Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones and Davante and Bak.
We have just one #1 perimeter receiver.. the rest are #3s and #4s and look like they are.. unseasoned rooks. We have little depth at RB, we are banged up at Oline and are injury prone there also with moderate to poor depth.
Our ST commits more mishaps than a lifelong paroled multiple repeat offender.
Poor poor ST discipline with no concept of even attempting to fix it (either we are lost and just don’t know how one or the other)

D

Deleted member 6794

He is most certainly a big part of the problem. Anyone who does not realize this is simply delusional

There's absolutely no doubt Rodgers has been part of the problem this season. I'm optimistic he will be able to bounce back next year though.

He has one of the best #1 receivers in football, a true franchise left tackle protecting his backside, and some talented young receivers and RBs.

In my opinion this season made it pretty obvious the Packers lack talent on offense. It might be finally time to either use one of the first rounders on a receiver or sign a veteran free agent to add another reliable target for Rodgers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Rodgers has been part of the problem this season. I'm optimistic he will be able to bounce back next year though.

In my opinion this season made it pretty obvious the Packers lack talent on offense. It might be finally time to either use one of the first rounders on a receiver or sign a veteran free agent to add another reliable target for Rodgers.

Jimmy Graham was that veteran free agent that was supposed to add another reliable target for Rodgers. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out so far.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fine if we draft a WR high. I don't mind. Just know we're going to probably going to have some turn over on defense. Inevitably, the defensive side of the ball will struggle again eventually, and people will ask, "Why has Gute been neglecting the defense? We need more talent on defense." Wasn't everyone just last year clamoring that the defense wasn't talented enough?

Talent is great. Everyone wants more talent. We need talent everywhere. But like everyone else, we only have so many draft picks and so much cap space to work with to acquire players within the same talent pool as every other of the 31 teams gets to choose from.

Is it unfair to shoulder so much on Aaron Rodgers? Sure, it is, but when you are allocating the highest annual salary in the NFL to your QB, you have less money to spend on the rest of your talent than every other team, that's the mathematical reality of it. And so when you're doing that, if that 33.5M player isn't playing at the level you expected, you're going to suffer. There's just no way around that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see the pressure he was under? Other then a few plays here and there he was under pressure. He did miss a couple but guys cant consistently get open. Our weapons dont strike fear in anyone and those days are long gone.

I hate being right because I want them to win so badly but I talked at length about this during the offseason and what would happen if Rodgers didnt play at Superman level. What did the Packers do? Draft yet even more db's and bring in another washed up TE. We have no vertical passing game and really no explosion on offense.

I really thought when we brought Cobb back this year he was finally going to break back out of the slump. But aside from week 1 and last week he's gone completely AWOL and this time, he's gotta go. I don't know if Jordy would have made a better effort for AR this year or not, but I'd say he definitely had a history of being far more reliable.

Kendricks and Lewis both also wasted signings.

One of the biggest problems with the offense is rz deficiency, something a new play book needs to fix.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy Graham was that veteran free agent that was supposed to add another reliable target for Rodgers. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out so far.

Considering we've run through multiple TEs now, I'm wondering if all were player problems or is it a underlying play book/call problem?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering we've run through multiple TEs now, I'm wondering if all were player problems or is it a underlying play book/call problem?

Hard to say. We really haven't had a productive TE since Jermichael Finley. It's hard to see them going that route in free agency again. There's a guy from Missouri, can't think of his name, Albert something that could sneak into the 1st round and be an option with our Saints pick late in the 1st, but there's not much else there.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say. We really haven't had a productive TE since Jermichael Finley. It's hard to see them going that route in free agency again. There's a guy from Missouri, can't think of his name, Albert something that could sneak into the 1st round and be an option with our Saints pick late in the 1st, but there's not much else there.

I like Tonyan. It's just sad we never gave him much of a chance despite JimmyG underperforming all through. I really like Tonyan, QB converted to WR converted to TE. Good athlete and he has bulked up in preseason to aid in tackling. Can catch and throw. We should be running more plays that use these strengths.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
First time I have thought this... Rodgers is on the decline.
I'm sure you were in the same boat of people that were saying this in early 2016 when the Packers were also struggling, right before Rodgers played the greatest 9 game stretch I've ever seen a quarterback play to finish that season.

People were wrong then, and they're going to be proven wrong again.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you were in the same boat of people that were saying this in early 2016 when the Packers were also struggling, right before Rodgers played the greatest 9 game stretch I've ever seen a quarterback play to finish that season.

People were wrong then, and they're going to be proven wrong again.

Agreed, it's been proven before the right coaches can fix QBs and it will be proven again if we get this next hire right.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now that you cant point the finger at McCarthy its gonna get pointed at Rodgers. Looking at what is mostly a Thompson roster this team never had a chance.
Quoted for truth. Now that McCarthy is gone, the armchair quarterbacks on here have moved on to a new scapegoat.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking our boy AR12 has developed himself a drinking problem.

What, with him staying out until all hours of the night with that shameless NASCAR *****, pounding Scotches and doing the boot-scoot boogie.

Maybe we ought to solicit Olivia Munn to get him straightened out.

Or maybe he's just succumbing to the ravages of old age, just like the rest of us.

Shockwave

Members online