The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

But to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that a player not get paid, I just didn't like the way it affects the cap. If you no longer have the player, I don't like that he still affects the cap. That's why I said maybe if you trade the player, the new team would have to take on all the cap implications. That seems fair if a player is worth x amount of money, and his value is spread across several years cap-wise.

The next thing that comes to mind is what if the player gets injured and has to retire, does the team get some compensation, or are they just stuck in cap hell for years?

It should be abundantly clear to everyone that money being paid by a team has to count against their cap at some point down the road. It wouldn't be fair at all if the prorated portion of the signing bonus would count against the cap of a team acquiring a player.

With the current system in place teams have to be smart about managing the cap, trying to keep the dead money at a minimum.

If a player is forced to retire because of injury only the remaining guaranteed portion of the contract counts against a team's cap.

H

HardRightEdge

LaFleur:

"But I just think in your early downs the more you can stay balanced and keep the defense offbalance and keep them guessing whether we're going to run the ball or pass the ball, I think that it opens up opportunities for big plays down the field and then when you get to the known passing situations, whether it's a third down or a two-minute drive, then you've got to let the guy go play.

Right. Let Rodgers be Rodgers, not make him into some robo-QB game manager.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be fair at all if the prorated portion of the signing bonus would count against the cap of a team acquiring a player.
Why not? I would argue that the bonus money is part of the value of a player. Why should a team who trades for that player get him on the cheap? While the team that traded him away ends up still paying for him (in cap space) for years to come?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap exists to even playing field across the league. A big part of it is make those decisions around your franchise players be big and impactful. If you make a giant financial investment and want to bail, it is going to hurt. It’s supposed to. They’ll never get rid of that

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? I would argue that the bonus money is part of the value of a player. Why should a team who trades for that player get him on the cheap? While the team that traded him away ends up still paying for him (in cap space) for years to come?
Because the first team actually paid him the money?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the first team actually paid him the money?
That's true. But the first team would never have been able to sign the player (probably) without giving him that big barrel of money. So that reflects part of the player's value, spread out over time.

These bonuses are just a way to get the players more guaranteed money. Which is okay, I guess, but it ends up being a little bogus with respect to the cap.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take notes from Brady tonight ARod... You want to even be in the conversation, then stop being a freaking diva and look at what Brady has been able to do.. He's never complained about the receivers, he just makes them better..

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take notes from Brady tonight ARod... You want to even be in the conversation, then stop being a freaking diva and look at what Brady has been able to do.. He's never complained about the receivers, he just makes them better..
How the heck do they keep doing this? It's insane. I mean you can't even argue that Brady isn't the GOAT at this point.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has more talent than Brady but Brady gets **** done, pure and simple. No question who the goat is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers has more talent than Brady but Brady gets **** done, pure and simple. No question who the goat is.

Also helps to have possibly the GOAT for a coach/GM as well. I know a lot of people hate BB, but hard to argue the fact, the guy just knows how to get it done.

Watching the Patriots game I couldn't help but admire the job he has done, every fricking year. I think he would do the same job with or without Brady. One thing the Patriots don't have is complacency and that starts with the coaches and trickles down to the players.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true. But the first team would never have been able to sign the player (probably) without giving him that big barrel of money. So that reflects part of the player's value, spread out over time.

These bonuses are just a way to get the players more guaranteed money. Which is okay, I guess, but it ends up being a little bogus with respect to the cap.

I'm sorry but the only thing being bogus is you arguing that a team that has paid a shitload of money to a player as a signing bonus shouldn't be charged with a cap hit by getting rid of that player several years later.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time the pats have an opportunity, they take it. I mean KC has the game clinching interception, but someone was a foot offsides at the snap. A simple pre-snap alignment issue. What do the Pats do, go 3 and out and punt? Oh, hell no, they drive down and take the lead with 39 seconds remaining. They are not perfect in anyway, other than they take advantage of ever oppoturnity that comes their way. It's amazing. and they just line up and play football.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Every time the pats have an opportunity, they take it. I mean KC has the game clinching interception, but someone was a foot offsides at the snap. A simple pre-snap alignment issue. What do the Pats do, go 3 and out and punt? Oh, hell no, they drive down and take the lead with 39 seconds remaining. They are not perfect in anyway, other than they take advantage of ever oppoturnity that comes their way. It's amazing. and they just line up and play football.

Agreed and I think a lot of that has to do with coaching and having your players physically and mentally prepared for a game. As well as coaches who know how to coach guys up. For those people who think you need high draft picks and high end free agent signings to be champions, I present The New England Patriots.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mahomes looks so much like Rodgers, with the crazy off-balance throws, and also the hands-in-the-air after a miscommunication.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the heck do they keep doing this? It's insane. I mean you can't even argue that Brady isn't the GOAT at this point.
I know it's not apples to apples.. But Brady has taken multiple paycuts to make sure the team keep the roster with some key free agents.. I get that we had stupid TT. But that just some character tho gs you'll see the difference between Rodgers and Brady. While Rodgers has his sight on being the highest paid and constantly complaining about the receivers. Brsdy
Mahomes looks so much like Rodgers, with the crazy off-balance throws, and also the hands-in-the-air after a miscommunication.

I feel if Mahomes keeps this style of play, he will run into the same issues Rodgers is currently facing. Rodgers can no longer out run some of those big young guys like he used to back in his 20s. Nfl will adapt to his style and probably start having him make plays from the pocket instead of rolling and trying to make those crazy long plays. Not saying hes not able to, but he won't be able to sustain that syke of play without age catching up

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett Favre even more so than Rodgers as Mahomes is more of a gunslinger not afraid to take some risks

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre even more so than Rodgers as Mahomes is more of a gunslinger not afraid to take some risks
This is why I want do get away from..sandlot style Offense, The Patriots wore the Chiefs D down in their own yard, the Pats held the ball almost 2-1 time of possession...they moved the chains and kept Mahomes and all the weapons off the field. Thats opposite of the Packers Offense, our third down offense really needs to get better. We have to get much better in the trenches our guards need upgrading early. Brady has not been sacked yet in the playoffs, combination of strong interior line, short drop and quick routes protect Brady and move the chains. The Rams will get same thing done to them, their high power Offense will not see the field much. Lets get better on both lines, early in the draft, and hope Lafluer works a new scheme that protects Rodgers and moves the chains.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the only thing being bogus is you arguing that a team that has paid a shitload of money to a player as a signing bonus shouldn't be charged with a cap hit by getting rid of that player several years later.
I guess it's the bonus I don't like. If a player gets a signing bonus of $40 million atop a salary of $10 million a year for four years, he gets paid $50 million the first year, and $10 million the next three. But if they spread out the cap hit, it costs $20 million a year. That cap number more accurately reflects the player's value per season.

But if another team trades for that player two years later, they only have to pay him $10 million, they're getting him on the cheap. Meanwhile the team that trades him is hamstrung with the $10 million in cap hit, even though they don't even have that player anymore. Better to forget the bonus and just pay the guy $20 million a year (his real value). The players won't like it, because they probably want more money up front, but it seems fairer to everybody concerned.

D

Deleted member 6794

But Brady has taken multiple paycuts to make sure the team keep the roster with some key free agents.. I get that we had stupid TT. But that just some character tho gs you'll see the difference between Rodgers and Brady. While Rodgers has his sight on being the highest paid and constantly complaining about the receivers.

Geez, could we finally stop bringing up the myth about Brady taking several pay cuts to help the Patriots improve their roster. Actually he has accounted for a higher combined cap hit over the past eight seasons than Rodgers.

I guess it's the bonus I don't like. If a player gets a signing bonus of $40 million atop a salary of $10 million a year for four years, he gets paid $50 million the first year, and $10 million the next three. But if they spread out the cap hit, it costs $20 million a year. That cap number more accurately reflects the player's value per season.

But if another team trades for that player two years later, they only have to pay him $10 million, they're getting him on the cheap. Meanwhile the team that trades him is hamstrung with the $10 million in cap hit, even though they don't even have that player anymore. Better to forget the bonus and just pay the guy $20 million a year (his real value). The players won't like it, because they probably want more money up front, but it seems fairer to everybody concerned.

I would be in favor of teams not agreeing to pay huge signing bonuses but you have to realize that players would ask for base salaries to be fully guaranteed over the length of the contract in that case.

While that would make it easier to trade a player releasing hin would have the same implications on the cap.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

I agree with the notion that Mahones reminds me more of Favre than Rodgers ...

And while Mahones does the “hands-in-the-air” gesture, - I’ve yet to see him (Mahones) Roll his eyes or “glare” after a receiver though, like Rodgers tends to do ...

While Bradys contracts over the years have had a larger cap hit (accumulated) than Rodgers’, there is No denying the *Fact* that Bradys contracts over the years have been significantly more team friendly than pretty much Any other QB contract in the League, exactly because (it seems) Brady knows that he also needs a good team to win ...

But the fact that the Patriots have been in top contention every season and have reached the Super Bowl 9 times in 18 years is a huge testament as to How Well that organisation is run, from top to bottom

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel if Mahomes keeps this style of play, he will run into the same issues Rodgers is currently facing. Rodgers can no longer out run some of those big young guys like he used to back in his 20s. Nfl will adapt to his style and probably start having him make plays from the pocket instead of rolling and trying to make those crazy long plays. Not saying hes not able to, but he won't be able to sustain that syke of play without age catching up

Using his 20's as you indicate, I think I'd be fine with six more years of what he's shown this season. :)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He also has the best coach in NFL history (who also happens to be a great GM). Brady is great at the check down, but he also runs an offense that seems to ALWAYS have a guy open as a quick option if necessary. Let's not pretend that Brady & Rodgers are the ONLY differences between the two teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts