1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cory's last stand????

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Bruce, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Plans are to have Jennings and Rodgers return punts on Monday, the Pack plans to save Woodson for the regular season.

If Rodgers is to have any realistic chance of making the regular season roster he needs to make the most of this (perhaps last) opportunity...

Beginning with catching the damned rock!!!!
    [​IMG]
    The kid was a special returning punts (though with very sloopy technique) in college. I would love to see someone step up and end the Woodson roulette game of an older, injury prone player returning punts.

2. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    What about the new kid Brewster, maybe he is threat.

3. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Rogers is on very, very thin ice. They expected much more of this kid and apparently he doesn't have any urgency to his game at all. As in the motivation post, he seems to be a guy who can't be motivated by himself or anyone else. At least that's the way it looks now.

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that even though it hurts to cut a draft pick and admit failure that this guy is as good as gone.
    I doubt that Teddy will hang on to a failed draft pick like has been done in the past with some guys.

5. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

rodgers faliure, will be gardiners fortune

6. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "The kid was a special returning punts (though with very sloopy technique) in college. "

In light of his crappy hands, I guess we could say "Hey hang on Sloopy, Sloopy hang on."
    I read that he can't even catch the ball in practice.
    Hammer

7. BoydAvery

BoydAvery Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly why TT was interested in and aquired WR Carlton Brewster from Cleveland. This kid returns kick offs and punts.

8. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Rodgers, Coston, and Gardner are the three guys that have not grabbed hold of an opportunity given them so far. All these guys could be solidly in the fold to start( Rodgers at PR) but haven't gotten it done.

There are also several that have surprised as well. The competition out there in many positions has got to be fierce.

It sounds like Woodson was going to be the guy at PR ever since we acquired him. It would be nice to see Rodgers give the kick return unit a boost though.

9. BoydAvery

BoydAvery Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cornerback Charles Woodson will get most of the chances returning punts against the Bengals.

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read a couple weeks ago that Rodgers has been forced to change his technique with the Packers, and that's when he started to have problems. They want him to have his body squared up when he makes the catch.

Maybe the coaching staff should forget about technique and just let him catch it however he feels most comfortable. If he could catch it that way in college, why can't he catch it that way in the pros? Are the balls that different?

We do have a player on our roster, who wears the number 4, who is notorious for his poor technique and just happens to be one of the best players in NFL history. We also have Aaron Rodgers, who had poor technique coming out of college (holding the ball up too high when he was in the pocket), but the coaching staff opted not to tinker with it. Now we can see that this habit has disappeared and Rodgers is playing very well. I think sometimes it is too much for a player to be asked to radically change his technique as soon as he joins the NFL, when there are so many other things to worry about.

And by the way, whatever happened to that experiment where Ahman Green was going to carry the ball in his right hand at times, instead of just his left? I think that one fell by the wayside, too.

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bruce, if you put that picture up one more time....ill probably laugh again.

12. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He hasn't shown enough that another team (except the vikings) would put take him from the Packer practice squad and add him to their 53 player roster.

He will be given another week and be part of the final cuts. Russell, Francies, and Lucas are closer to the door than he is.

13. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    YES!!

our coaching staff shouldn't even be considering Woodson returning punts. talk about a liability, i'd never forgive them if a punt return put him on the IR...again.

14. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    good point both of you

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think he will get cut. ONLY because he IS a rookie and still may develope into a good player.
    But i think this would be his ONLY year where he would be afforded that chance.
    And i agree with Greg C. Just let the kid do what he did well. Who CARES if his "technique" LOOKS good, if he gets the job done doing it his way (ala Favre) just let him DO it that way!

16. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree whole heartedly.

17. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    The reason he's having problems is because they changed his technique and he's not verstile enough to adjust. Personally, if I was him. You wouldn't see me off the field catching punts from the machine that simulates punts. If they didn't let me use theirs. I'd do my damnest to buy one.

He has to learn how to catch it their way. From what I see of his drops, it looks like nothing but a lack of focusing on the ball until its in his hands.