1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus (Covid-19) --General discussion and advice

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Sky King, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    I predict once the daily Covid deaths in New York drop to less than 100 per day, there will be great pressure to fire up the economy, no matter what the numbers in the rest of the nation are doing.
    The media is based in New York so it is more personal for them. Once the fear there drops, that will be reflected in the reports and the news cycle will move on to some other clickbait to drive revenue. Fire up the election and investigation reports.

2. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Honestly I think the cure is already here

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

I don't know how long it would take to manufacture it on a mass scale, but damn, instead of wasting money on this fake stimulus bill, why didn't congress go issuing a real stimulus bill to the pharmaceutical companies to mass produce this stuff and flood it into Dr's clinics and pharmacies? Ridiculous!!

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    I been taking this for years for autoimmune ..now I was told to cut in half because there's a shortage

Either my autoimmune disease issues are back. Or I have the flu or I have covid 19

4. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Well, apparently the Chinese were able to fire 8,000 new companies making PPE in two months. So I guess anything is possible.

5. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Well I kept my safe distancing yesterday by watching all 6 episodes of “Shark Nato” didn’t even know it was that many, something to laugh at w/0 my sports...

6. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 fan of Jessie P

Packer Fan Since:
    I think those films are fantastic. So stupid, and as you say funny.

7. ARPackFan

ARPackFan P-A-N-I-C

Packer Fan Since:
    I stumbled upon this interesting (at least to me) article about Dan Yaman (Doctorate in Engineering) who developes models for spread of infectous disease.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...s-right-about-covid-19-who-is-wrong-1.8691031

A few items from the article -

“We do not move about in space like particles,” says Dan Yamin, of Tel Aviv University’s industrial engineering department. “Try to remember what you did yesterday. Even without all the social distancing measures, you probably would have met the same people you met today. We move across networks of social contact. So, from a certain stage, it will be difficult to infect even those who bear a potential for becoming infected, because the carriers don’t wander around looking for new people to infect.”

He thinks much of the reported data is biased but feels we can learn from South Korea which is seeing a 0.9% mortaility in reported cases:

“The actual number of people who are sick with the virus in South Korea is at least double what’s being reported, so the chance of dying is at least twice as low, standing at about 0.45 percent – very far from the World Health Organization’s [global mortality] figure of 3.4 percent. And that’s already a reason for cautious optimism.”

On social distancing leading to fewer infections and deaths -

“No, because we won’t be able to isolate ourselves completely or forever. At some stage, we will have to resume a regular routine, and then the R0 will stabilize at 2 again. Effectively, we are delaying the inevitable." - I would only add that the longer we can delay, the more likely we are to find effective treatments and a potential vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. weeds

weeds Fiber deprived old guy.

Packer Fan Since:
    I voted today in person, in Wisconsin because my absentee ballot did not sow up. They weren't going to allow me to vote at first.

I said that I'm not leaving until I vote against the Wisconsin Supreme Court candidate at the heart of the Republican party's refusal to postpone this election.

I joined 15 other names on a list of people who did not receive their ballots. I would be the guy to call a TV station regarding poll irregularies. When I cast my ballot, I was #8. The others gave up and left.

The lower the "turnout" the more Republicans like it. I know... I've worked Republican campaigns.

This whole fight is over ONE race where the Republican choice is on the ballot....and he was appointed

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I can't believe there is a citizen in this state, regardless of party that wouldn't be disgusted by what just transpired

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ARPackFan

ARPackFan P-A-N-I-C

Packer Fan Since:
    There is no rational reason to not delay a primary at this point.

11. weeds

Packer Fan Since:
    No reason whatever EXCEPT that even Mr Trump tweeted that Wisconsin voters should get out and vote for Daniel Kelly -by name.

Think this wasn't partisan driven? He tweets the guy's name. From Fox News account, voters were turned away when the polls closed at 8 pm. The attorneys are probably all gathered for coffee this morning discussing how to run up billable hours.

12. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    Possibly one of the most comical and telling statements made by #45. This will be played over and over in the next 6+ months.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I ended up doing absentee, though I"m generally opposed to myself voting that way because I trust my vote to be counted even less than in person. I requested it a couple weeks ago because I wanted to be sure to be able to cast a ballot regardless of what happened with in person voting. I got my ballot on Monday afternoon and dropped it off on Tuesday. Looked to go smoothly around here, but we're still pretty small communities in the grand scheme of things. Much easier to move around and keep distance. Our polling place is at a church across the road and it looked steady, but never busy like usual. Will be interesting to see voter turnout considering the status of the election up in the air up until the night before. Confusion never helps with turnout.

14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    oh, there's a very good reason to keep it on as planned when you know it will suppress the urban vote knowing the more rural areas don't face anywhere near the risks or the challenges of maintaining a safe polling place.

But then I also think the national guard should have been called up early, trained, protocols in place and advertised heavily that vote WOULD be happening and these are the measures for safety and this is what you can do to vote by mail and make sure the system was in place to handle it. not days or weeks, but this should have been a contingent plan developed years ago and dusted off in Jan or Feb when it became apparent this was going to be a very possible situation for the election in April.

But it wasn't, from any end. ALL legislators failed to a degree, but I have to say I'm definitely more disgusted by one side than the other today. Does anybody believe we have a system of checks and balances worth a crap left in this country? It's so blatantly obvious they don't even try to hide it anymore how political the courts have become.

15. melvin dangerr

Packer Fan Since:
    When this over and the panic buying ends especially with T- paper, it, and along with paper towels, it will be so cheap on the market, I think I’ll fill up my garage with these goodies. LOL w/sarcasm

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 fan of Jessie P

Packer Fan Since:
    I`ll buy some off you mate :tup:

17. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    This kind of sums it up. WISCONSIN AND THE PROBLEM OF TOO MUCH DEMOCRACY

• Like Like x 1
  18. weeds

Packer Fan Since:
    Boy, the Green Bay City Cluck (clerk) was spinning, shifting and deflecting blame. Turns out mayor refused National Guard help at the polls and it was obvious she was taking none of the blame. I watched on WBAY if you missed it check it out.

She sure made me appreciate my wife. :roflmao:

19. weeds

Packer Fan Since:
    Actually, she is the County Cluck.

20. weeds

Packer Fan Since:
    They're STILL at it. Wisconsin Assebly majority fiddling with federal funds provided in Covid bill. Yeah, 2 weeks after the fact ... Bet your keester thet are trying to reroute funding away from you and me. That is their M.O. if you're in Wisconsin and NOT calling your assembly person, you're in for a huge screwing.

21. melvin dangerr

Packer Fan Since:
    Ill donate to you Bill with problem..

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    Like any resident, he could have gone to any of the county’s 16 early voting sites from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. any of those days. One is across the street from the Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, where the president spent Saturday and Sunday.

Practice what you preach Mr. President. Besides that, once again his own actions don't match his public ideology. Election experts say Trump is partially correct, that there is slightly more fraud in mail-voting than in-person voting. But they caution that both can be done safely and securely, and that election fraud is extremely rare in all instances.

This is all about keeping Americans, particularly those who might vote Democratic, from casting ballots, and not about the fairytale Trump keeps trying to sell about “thousands and thousands of people sitting in somebody’s living room signing [mail-in] ballots all over the place.”

23. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    So Trump doesn't take his Secret Service to play golf, go to church, attend private parties, go to football games, etc? Sorry, that isn't anything but a bad excuse as to why its ok for him to do a mail in vote, but he thinks its a terrible idea for everyone else.

Lead by example is really not one of his strong points.

24. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    First, Trump and many others are pushing a false argument about Voter Fraud using mail.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/mail-in-voting-explained.html

Second, since I imagine his secret service is paid to be with him wherever he is, I can't imagine it costs the taxpayers anymore whether he is going across the street to vote, have dinner or play golf. Actually, I would think a voting site would require a lot less personnel to keep him safe than a golf course would. He didn't even use this as an excuse, so again, someone is making up stories to try and explain his foolish behaviors.

This whole thing shouldn't surprise anyone. Him trying to create this image of voter fraud being a major problem with mail in votes, which it isn't and then both he and his wife mail in their own ballots, is yet another way of him showing his true colors.

The World is facing 1 Pandemic, the US is facing two. The World wide one isn't going away anytime soon, fortunately U.S. voters can take great strides in eliminating the second one on Nov. 3rd.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Creative Creative x 1
  25. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    I guess I was under the impression that a discussion of a topic was a back and forth, until both parties agree, come to a compromise or agree to disagree. I guess if you agree with what I am saying, no need to discuss any further.