1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus (Covid-19) --General discussion and advice

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Sky King, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Sky King

Sky King 158.3

Packer Fan Since:
    We are all aware of the coronavirus situation worldwide but do we know what to look for and how to reduce our risk of becoming afflicted with this condition. Here is some information that could be useful to all forum participants:

STANFORD HOSPITAL BOARD INTERNAL MESSAGE:
    Read and understand

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees celsius (78.8 - 80.6 Fahrenheit). It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
    8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS
    1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
    2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
    3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
    4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

SHARE WITH FAMILY and FRIENDS

Moderators: Under the circumstances, the best single location for posting this information was not clear. All forums maybe. Please disseminate as appropriate. Feel free to post this information and pass it on just as I have done.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
  3. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:
    Dbl ck this
    https://www.motherjones.com/politic...claiming-to-be-from-stanford-dont-believe-it/

There’s a Facebook Coronavirus Post Going Viral Claiming to be From Stanford. Don’t Believe It.

Most of this is false.

I emailed Stanford’s Office of Communications to check the post’s authenticity. “The post is not from Stanford,” Lisa Kim at Stanford Health Care wrote back. She directed anyone who is confused to the University’s actual coronavirus information page.

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/stanford-health-care-now/2020/novel-coronavirus.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sky King

Sky King 158.3

Packer Fan Since:
    My apologies. I received this information this morning and passed it on. It looks like it comes from multiple sources. The actual Stanford information you found appears to be very useful.

5. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:
    This goes to show to verify anything..that's why we ask for links for anything

6. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Get busy living, or get busy dying. It's a respiratory illness i'll treat like every other, meaning I'll take care of myself and what happens, happens. If it's that serious, we're not stopping it, and if it's not, we're only hurting ourselves by overreacting.

Last late fall and early winter they were closing schools here, because 40-50% of the students were out with respiratory illnesses. Half the people Ik know were knocked out with a "cold" that lasted for 3-4 weeks sometimes. Nobody thought anything of anything whent hat was going on other than "damn, lots of people are sick"

and here we are today, and it's just starting. Just wait until the # of cases starts exploding, because they're actually testing for it. Like the test has made any difference. Oh and Tom Hanks has it. I don't care if he has it. let me know if he dies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:
    Let's revisit in 2 months

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    we could use a good culling. Been saying this country needs something really bad to happen for a while. Help re-center society again, give them some perspective on what is really important and what isn't. Maybe this will be it. But i'm not convinced our reaction to it won't have longer lasting effects than the virus itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Didn't think that info sounded right. If what that "Stanford" report said was true, the fatality rate would probably be close to 100%. Someone's trying to do some fear mongering.

11. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    If it's on FB i just assume it's made up from the start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. elcid

elcid Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You know Mondio, I feel like we often disagree on the forum in terms of what the viable way to go is for the Packers, but I believe you absolutely nailed it here. I can't necessarily speak for the US, but I feel like here too in the Netherlands we have lost focus, and to some extent, became selfish and spoilt. I feel like especially my generation isn't thankful for the times they live in. They have never really known hardship, or has seen how cruel the world can be.

While I do think that our societies are slightly different, they are both in the same predicament: Polarised, and incredibly dissatisfied. To some extent that dissatisfaction is warranted, as great changes are needed in the world and current day politics have not seemed able to provide these change. Therefore we must remember to keep talking with each other, treat each other with respect, try to understand where the opposition comes from. And most importantly, remember that we are all Dutch (or American, or British, French, Germans, whatever) with each their own tale, and therefore their own worries. And that in the end, we all want what we think is best for our country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I am getting so sick of seeing all these ridiculous cancelations too. I don't remember everything that happened when H1N1 was going around, but damn it sure didn't seem like I saw this much garbage going on.

Now, I'll say I certainly don't want to be another Rudy G, the NBA player who mocked the whole seriousness of the thing. I mean, common sense and being smart should always be priority with things like this. I'd certainly be mindful of people such as infants or old people around me because they probably do carry a risk that I might pass it on to them.

But ... Maybe I'm just too old fashioned or just so stubborn about wanting the show to go on that I just feel like some of these cancelings of schools or other events are just getting out of control. I mean ... Life's gotta go on here.

14. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The current response to a new strain of the flu is unprecedented. The fact that it is an election year probably plays into it too. Thousands of immunocompromised people die of the flu every year. Maybe we as a society are getting smarter in how we respond to health threats, and that explains what is going on now. Then again, I went to the store today and saw all the shelves empty of toilet paper, and certain other goods in short supply or sold out. It makes me wonder if we're doing more harm than good fueling the panic. I'm keep swinging back and forth between those two impressions.

15. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah, like I said common sense and a little... Yes keyword "little" bit of preparedness certainly is something to take to heart. But panic buying is something I don't like considering I think this will be over sooner than people think with final death numbers lower than what some of the so-called nostradamuses have said. Be alert and be ready but ... Don't buy out everything in Walmart and definitely don't dump all your 401k into gold or silver.

16. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    Wash your hands in hot soapy water after every time you come in contact with an item of public use (handshakes, door handles, shopping carts etc..)
    Be extra careful to avoid touching your mouth, nose, genitalia, eyes.. . anything that is known to transmit bacteria.. until you have an opportunity to cleanse.

If you don’t have access to running water with anti bacterial soaps, use hand sanitizer in between as often as possible. While alcohol hand sanitizer does not fully kill certain viruses, it does dramatically reduce surface area exposure and ultimately limit its spread of the germs.

Avoid direct contact with people if possible. Avoid exposure to large groups of people or in smaller non ventilated rooms. Risk is proportionate to the # folks you come into direct or close contact with. Hence the cancellation of mass meetings and events throughout the world.

Go the extra mile and wash your hands first thing each time you come home from being in public. Then take a shower and change clothes. Immediately Wash your clothes in hot water. Use a saltwater rinse to gargle in your throat several times a day for 30 seconds plus or a mouthwash equivalent.

Make a routine of cleaning door handles, keyboards, drawer handles, light switches, thermostats, car keys or fobs, microwave keypads, copy/printer machine control panels, cell phones on a regular basis until the risk is severely diminished. Use Clorox spray or wet Clorox equivalent wipes while wearing dish-gloves and let sit for a minute then wipe thoroughly clean.

These measures may seem “over the top” but remember that it beats the alternative and it’s especially necessary at the height of the pandemic. Each level of precaution reduces the risk of exposure In a few months, we should see a sharp decline in the number of positive testings (see the sharply reducing graph of the epicenter of China). It’s very likely this can be contained within a matter of weeks with the sharply increased public cooperation we are now seeing.

Note: The Old Testament Bible has multiple scientific facts (such as using running water to cleanse and using quarantine, the earth is a sphere, etc.. ) that were widely known and utilized for generations.. but then ignored for centuries (see Scarlet Fever which could have been largely avoided) until recent years, then giving credit to recent science discovery which is laughable. Use common sense and quit relying on man (governments, medical institutions) to save the day.. as we are imperfect and always a step behind. Don’t believe me? See Hurricane Katrina. You can’t stop Mother Nature.. but you absolutely can have a 1 on 1 with God and ask for his help.
    Either way, know that I and others have already... and will continue to lift you in prayer regardless of your belief (or unbelief) of man being all powerful and supreme potentate in handling matters ultimately way beyond man’s control.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Problem solved

18. weeds

weeds Fiber deprived old guy.

Packer Fan Since:
    Wouldn't it be convenient if we could selectively "cull the herd"? Only you and I get to choose who and who isn't culled? I'll start on the East Coast, you the West and we'll meet at the same spot they drove in the final railroad spike back in the 1800's. ;)

My starting point would be "If you were EVER a fan of Madonna or hated Paul McCartney ... step this way please. :whistling:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Like a Virgin, HEY, culled for the very first time...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. weeds

weeds Fiber deprived old guy.

Packer Fan Since:
    OK, I just blew my coffee.... LMAO.... mucho appreciado...

21. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    And I appreciate you not clarifying from which end it blew :)

22. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You’re right, this is a national overreaction. How much TP does it take to cure COVID-10? Yeah, none. I was a financial adviser before retiring and the overreaction is the same. Sell everything and invest at the bottom. Well, how do we know what’s the bottom? Like trying to catch a falling knife bare handed.

We do have to treat this seriously, but we can’t put our lives on hold. Football is coming after all! (I think......)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I was thinking flu season is almost over, summer is coming, the flue will likely dry up, and things will probably get better. But then the fall is going to come (along with football), and flu season is going to start up again. Assuming it's still around then, we're liable to see this happen all over again, but worse. Which does not bode well for football season.

24. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    Right about on cue too, I'll let you offer your expert opinion on this, but I'm feeling right now like buying these bargain stocks right now while the market is down. I may be wrong but I think these panic sellers are going to regret selling off, and this is a good time for first time stock buyers to start swooping in and getting them.

I mean, market's already low so I don't feel like I'd be too much at risk anyway, so I say go for it. Plus buying up stuff like toilet paper is a waste of money, and that money could go to the stock market. So buy the dips and stick it to the fools.

25. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 fan of Jessie P

Packer Fan Since:
    REALLY ???......PMSL