Cornerbacks

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've read this week, Rolle's play in camp has been impressive and he's expected to see significant time with the 1's tonight. How many can the team carry on the roster?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In '13 they kept 6 after the final cuts to 53: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Haward, Davon House, Micah Hyde, Jarrett Bush.

Since Hyde is now a Safety there appears to be one spot "available" unless TT makes a move from left-field (e.g. cutting J. Bush or T. Williams for salary cap savings). Rolle appears to be the front-runner for that CB spot in a competition with Goodson, Dennard and White. Whoever wins the #6 spot shouldn't get too comfortable, as TT very well could snag somebody after final cuts to take that spot, as well.

The 4 Safeties kept in '13 were: Morgan Burnett, M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian, Chris Banjo. Jennings and McMillian are gone, replaced (most likely) on the roster by Hyde and Ha Ha Dix. Sean Richardson and Banjo are competing for that #4 spot.

I'm calling it right now, whichever doesn't make it onto the 53 gets snared by Chicago... their Safeties are still really bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

In '13 they kept 6 after the final cuts to 53: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Haward, Davon House, Micah Hyde, Jarrett Bush.

Since Hyde is now a Safety there appears to be one spot "available" unless TT makes a move from left-field (e.g. cutting J. Bush or T. Williams for salary cap savings). Rolle appears to be the front-runner for that CB spot in a competition with Goodson, Dennard and White. Whoever wins the #6 spot shouldn't get too comfortable, as TT very well could snag somebody after final cuts to take that spot, as well.

The 4 Safeties kept in '13 were: Morgan Burnett, M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian, Chris Banjo. Jennings and McMillian are gone, replaced (most likely) on the roster by Hyde and Ha Ha Dix. Sean Richardson and Banjo are competing for that #4 spot.

I'm calling it right now, whichever doesn't make it onto the 53 gets snared by Chicago... their Safeties are still really bad.

I'm not totally sure the Packers see Hyde as a safety only as he'll move to the slot either in the nickel or the dime. That's why I expect them to keep four real safeties on the roster.

It's possible they will keep six true corners on the 53 as well (though rather unlikely) in which case Rolle seems to be the front runner.

H

HardRightEdge

CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, House
S: Burnett, Dix, Richardson
CB/S swing men: Hyde, Bush

Because Hyde and Bush can swing between S/nickel/dime, and all 4 of the CBs above are viewed as (and have played) cover corner (though not Hayward's ideal position), there's probably no need to isolate on one position or another for a 10th. DB. 11 seems excessive given the number of guys who can flex positions.

Rolle and Banjo would be leading candidates in my view for a 10th. spot.

To me, Banjo's main value is as a ST guy and spot duty guy as a box safety.

Among the 9 locks and near-locks listed above, by my count Bush and House are the only guys who will be unrestricted FAs in 2015 (Richardson will be restricted), and with Hayward not being ideally suited to cover corner, a little cover corner depth for next year would seem to advantage Rolle. If he gets the opportunity to play with the first team, he needs to show the game is not too big for him...that would be the reason he's out there.

It's also possible House or Bush gets released in favor of Rolle and Banjo, though I think that's a long shot.

In the end, when talking about those last few roster swing spots it often comes down to special teams value.

I believe Rolle and Banjo are both PS eligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Tramon Williams' contract is through 2014, so he will be an unrestricted free agent at the
end of this year along with Bush and House.
All the more reason to be looking for a cover corner. Add another check mark in the Rolle column.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confused by this. So you think the Packers have players so valuable that if they don't make the team they will get signed by other teams, but you also think that TT might bring someone in at CB? I doubt both of those things are true. I really doubt that TT will bring in a DB.
It's Friday night, so I'll cut you a little slack. I commented that Rolle (a cornerback) looks to have the inside track on the 6th CB spot, but that he shouldn't be comfortable.

I THEN make a jump and comment on our Safeties (different position, stay with me). Based on last year's numbers there were 4 safeties kept on the Sept. 53. With the addition of both Dix and Hyde to the Safety position, in addition to Morgan Burnett there would only be one spot "available" between Richardson and Banjo. If TT only keeps 4, and either Richardson or Banjo get cut I'm predicting that the Bears sign that guy.

I make this prediction based on my opinion of how sucky the Bear's Safeties are in camp. Feel free to go on record doubting that this happens, that would be YOUR opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

The part I get lost at is where you say Hyde is a S. That's inaccurate. He's listed as a DB. I understand that CB and S are different positions, but stay with me, they are intertwined and you really can't look at one without looking at the other, especially when you have players playing tweener positions like Hyde, who stay with me, is listed as a DB instead of CB or S. It's Friday so I'll cut you some slack. You may be light on the facts but you aren't light on the sarcasm.

It doesn't matter what position Hyde is listed at, the Packers will most likely keep 10 DBs. Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Hyde, Burnett and Clinton-Dix will make the team for sure with Bush, Richardson, Banjo and Rolle battling for the last three spots.

Having Hyde and Bush being able to play corner and safety is a big plus and may affect the number of true safeties we keep on the 53.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Rolle showed last night that he is a willing and able tackler. I think Banjo is just another guy. I'd like to see them keep Rolle and continue to work with him. I think his progression track has been quicker than House and could allow Thompson much better leverage when dealing with Williams & House expiring contracts.

H

HardRightEdge

Rolle showed last night that he is a willing and able tackler. I think Banjo is just another guy. I'd like to see them keep Rolle and continue to work with him. I think his progression track has been quicker than House and could allow Thompson much better leverage when dealing with Williams & House expiring contracts.

Yeah, Rolle would be my choice for the #10 DB. He's a slight guy, but as you say not afraid to put his nose in it. He looks pretty fluid in coverage as well.

House solidified his spot on the roster; he's been consistent throughout the preseason. It looks like all-systems-go for the plan to have him play some cover corner with Williams moving inside situationally.

Members online

Latest posts