Cornerback...

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It is no secret that cornerback is undoubtedly our most glaring need, so where do we go? Rely on the draft or continue to shop around in the FA market. I am personally on the fence. There are very strong CB's in the draft that will be cost effective. But then again, I thought we were set at the position after the 2015 draft...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Needs to be a bit of both, but I can honestly say I didn't see Hyde leaving us at all. Seriously, how come? :confused:

Randall needs to work on his consistency better and Rollins/Gunter will continue to improve, but we really need some experience there. Maybe one FA plus some 3rd or 4th round picks.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point we're looking at Rollins/Randall and hoping that they can bounce back and elevate their play. Improving the pass rush would help them out a lot too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they're to concerned about the position to be quit frank. No other team in the NFL has a former college safety, a former basketball player, and an Undrafted FA who runs a 4.7 manning the corner position. Only in GB would you find that. Which probably explains why they are so bad at corner..TT doesn't wanna admit he screwed the Rollins pick up which is why they wil give him another chance. Nor does he want to admit that they need at least two starting caliber guys who actually already can play the position.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Needs to be a bit of both, but I can honestly say I didn't see Hyde leaving us at all. Seriously, how come? :confused:

Randall needs to work on his consistency better and Rollins/Gunter will continue to improve, but we really need some experience there. Maybe one FA plus some 3rd or 4th round picks.

You mean they need talent there. I've seen young corners do well because they had talent . Randle has some talent...not enough to be a #1 but he has some. The other two? Yea nothing is impressive about either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think they'd be wise to look into trade options like Johnson or even Butler, but carefully. There are reasons why these guys are on the block. If they give up a premium pick and big contract to get either, it will likely be a significant overpay, in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What happens at CB all depends on the mindset of TT and the coaches with the current group and its a pretty big young group who all saw some action last year. Given that they are pretty much out of options of improving it via the FA route, they are either confident enough in this current group of young guys, are trying to make a trade (yeah right) or feel they can improve things via the draft.

Personally, I think it is a combination of #1 and #3. TT thinks if his CB's are healthy, they will play much better and will probably toss in an early draft pick as insurance.

Option #4. Engineers have been secretly working on a helmet that will allow Shields to play concussion free and its slated to be ready by August. I hope they are working on pants that prevent muscle pulls as well.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict it would be a Grade A fiasco, if we went with Randall/Rollins as the primary pair for the coming season.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict it would be a Grade A fiasco, if we went with Randall/Rollins as the primary pair for the coming season.
It's probably going to be Randall, draft pick, Rollins, and Gunter.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Randall and Rollins turn it around..... they still have two guys from last years opening roster gone that were expected to be significant players in Shields and Hyde. While I agree that replacing Shields may be very difficult in the short term.... I don't see anybody on the current roster that can replace Hyde either ... epsecially if we are relying on Randle and Rollns at one and 2 (yikes)....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Randall and Rollins turn it around..... they still have two guys from last years opening roster gone that were expected to be significant players in Shields and Hyde. While I agree that replacing Shields may be very difficult in the short term.... I don't see anybody on the current roster that can replace Hyde either ... epsecially if we are relying on Randle and Rollns at one and 2 (yikes)....

Again...please God, no.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's really the big issue. When we had injuries, the lack of depth really showed in the secondary. Now, we have even less depth if we sustain an injury to Rollins, Randle, or Gunter. We need some sort of a depth signing at least.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's really the big issue. When we had injuries, the lack of depth really showed in the secondary. Now, we have even less depth if we sustain an injury to Rollins, Randle, or Gunter. We need some sort of a depth signing at least.

Oh you just wait, Teddy can't wait to sign some practice squad guy's to the active roster. There's your "depth" hahaha

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is overrated. Apart from some ad hoc big plays, I've seen nothing that'd convince me he's the one for the future.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they're to concerned about the position to be quit frank. No other team in the NFL has a former college safety, a former basketball player, and an Undrafted FA who runs a 4.7 manning the corner position. Only in GB would you find that. Which probably explains why they are so bad at corner..

You've omitted the fact that in 2016 the Packers' #1 corner, who was both fast and an excellent cover guy, went down in week 1 and never returned. Not many teams have the depth to bounce back from the loss of a Pro Bowl corner without a significant degradation in effectiveness.

I'm certain the Packers will go corner in the first or second round of the draft, and probably add another in one of the middle rounds. I also wouldn't dismiss the possibility of adding a veteran corner as free agency progresses.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cam Sutton would be the perfect replacement for Hyde. He can do everything that Hyde can outside/inside CB, Safety and returner. I have him mocked as an early 4th and he would be worth it. He doesn't have blazing speed but he covers his man despite.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best way to go about it now imo. Sign House for depth, as long as its under 3 mil a season. Draft Kevin King in 2nd and trade up for Cam Sutton in the 4th....Hope and pray Randall and Rollins pull a 360 and hold their own for the most part.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins and Randall need to be healthy to have a good shot at being effective.

Davante Adams was hobbled with an ankle injury in 2015 and people thought he was bust. In 2016 he was healthy and really took off. Good health is the key.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does everyone think of 2014 6th Rd pick Demetri Goodson so far? Imo he is a physical tackler with special teams value, but he has shown to be a liability in coverage also seems to be out of position alot. Overall I believe we can find better value than him in the draft and he can be let go or at least pushed down the depth chart!

D

Deleted member 6794

It is no secret that cornerback is undoubtedly our most glaring need, so where do we go? Rely on the draft or continue to shop around in the FA market. I am personally on the fence. There are very strong CB's in the draft that will be cost effective. But then again, I thought we were set at the position after the 2015 draft...

Hopefully Thonpson doesn't rely solely on the draft to improve the cornerback position this offseason.

I think at this point we're looking at Rollins/Randall and hoping that they can bounce back and elevate their play. Improving the pass rush would help them out a lot too.

Unfortunately it's close to impossible for the pass rush to put any pressure on quarterbacks if your cornerbacks can't cover receivers for at least two seconds though.

Thompson should have used the $9 million cap space saved by releasing Shields to sign a veteran. As of right now a trade might be the only option to add an impact cornerback.

Rollins and Randall need to be healthy to have a good shot at being effective.

Davante Adams was hobbled with an ankle injury in 2015 and people thought he was bust. In 2016 he was healthy and really took off. Good health is the key.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced Randall or Rollins are will perform on a decent level even when healthy. The Packers should for sure not rely on it entering next season.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sidney Jones suffered a torn Achilles tendon. Would you guys take him at 29? Furthermore, if TT does not address CB in situation I'd say we HAVE to double dip in the draft, preferrably in the 1st + 2nd or 3rd when imo we can only trust one of Randall/Rollins/Gunter to turn in a solid season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sidney Jones suffered a torn Achilles tendon. Would you guys take him at 29?

There's no way the Packers should select a cornerback most likely not ready for the start of the season with their first round pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts