Corner Backs

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worried about the CB's this season. Can this be the weak link for a successful season. There doesn't seem to be any urgency to improve that position. Don't know The FA House ( best days might be behind him ) and draft pick King ( might be great in the future ) will be enough. It would be nice to have just one proven shut down corner!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ever team would love to have one proven shut down corner. The problem is theres probably only 10 of those in the league and that might be streching it

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have good safeties so perhaps even fair to midling might be good enough. Last year the Packers had by far the worst set of cb's in the league. Even if they improve to the middle it would be a huge imorovement. I was never a fan of House but I liked King's ability to come up and make a tackle. When was the last time we saw a cb make tackles at the the los? You have to go back to Woodson and Al Harris. While Eagle receivers seemed to be wide open on nearly every play, the poor showing in the first preseason game may not indicate that the defense will be as putrid as last year.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
speaking of king's ability to hit, i'm worried the kid might over do it in the preseason. hopefully the guy doesn't go out gung-ho and lose a shoulder or two or a thumb. speaking of backs...hopefully the linebackers do their job giving pressure on the qb so the CBs won't have to run around trying to stay in man coverage ever snap. Hopefully House and Rollins have a break out year and King will stay humble and learn from his mistakes instead of being cocky rookie thinking he didn't do anything wrong.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, the CB's are running around looking confused. Joe Whitt said the secondary has to stop giving up explosive plays, but I see the same bad play by them in the first preseason game. Joe Whitt has identified the problem but can't seem to get through to the players. TT seems to be pretty good at finding receivers but has failed in finding CB's. I like Kevin Kings tackling, but he did look lost out in space.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think ever team would love to have one proven shut down corner. The problem is theres probably only 10 of those in the league and that might be streching it
I think you're absolutely correct. After thinking about it more, I think the number of true shutdown corners is closer to 5 and none of them scare me when Rodgers is playing them.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the CBs could be better. They all seemed to be confused out there. I think in Capers defense they have overcomplicated everything and have gone away from basic fundamentals.

In addition. It's gonna be pretty darn hard for those guys to not give up big plays when out front guys are sitting there playing patty cake with the Olines. Clay is such a big waste of roster and cap space.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, the CB's are running around looking confused. Joe Whitt said the secondary has to stop giving up explosive plays, but I see the same bad play by them in the first preseason game. Joe Whitt has identified the problem but can't seem to get through to the players. TT seems to be pretty good at finding receivers but has failed in finding CB's. I like Kevin Kings tackling, but he did look lost out in space.
I don't disagree that the CBs could be better. They all seemed to be confused out there. I think in Capers defense they have overcomplicated everything and have gone away from basic fundamentals.

In addition. It's gonna be pretty darn hard for those guys to not give up big plays when out front guys are sitting there playing patty cake with the Olines. Clay is such a big waste of roster and cap space.

The Packers have good safeties so perhaps even fair to midling might be good enough. Last year the Packers had by far the worst set of cb's in the league. Even if they improve to the middle it would be a huge imorovement. I was never a fan of House but I liked King's ability to come up and make a tackle. When was the last time we saw a cb make tackles at the the los? You have to go back to Woodson and Al Harris. While Eagle receivers seemed to be wide open on nearly every play, the poor showing in the first preseason game may not indicate that the defense will be as putrid as last year.

Where was the confusion or all the wide open receivers? Is all this reaction coming from one drive?

King simply got beat twice (although might have expected safety help on the deep ball).

Overall, the Eagle offense had a rough day. The four forced turnovers was excellent and coverage after drive one was solid.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one bad play stands out because it encompassed pretty much everything that was wrong all last year. But it was 1 play in a preseason game. There was a lot to like as well, but people can't get past what they want to believe. Which is why I remain optimistic :)

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daquan Holmes I think has the ability to play good and make this team he only had a few tackles but if u watched him he looks good his is my sleeper guy to make this team and I feel like he is gonna make some plays in the next few games he can tackle too!!!

Mopps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on. I also feel Holmes is being overlooked. He's got the speed and he can tackle. He looked very good in the 1st preseason game. Hope we'll see much more of him this week. He is my Packer's sleeper as well.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see....House, King, Randall, Rollins, Hawkins, Gunter.....anyone else a little concerned? The safety position is much more aligned. Randall and Rollins BOTH have to start stepping up immediately. These players are all wild cards, but will they play well collectively?

D

Deleted member 6794

Lets see....House, King, Randall, Rollins, Hawkins, Gunter.....anyone else a little concerned? The safety position is much more aligned. Randall and Rollins BOTH have to start stepping up immediately. These players are all wild cards, but will they play well collectively?

There's definitely reason to be concerned about the cornerback position as the Packers still lack a legitimate #1 cornerback. The overall performance on the entire group hinges a lot on the ability of Randall and Rollins to bounce back as well as the development of King.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this, I undoubtedly believe we are better this year than last at CB....however better than terrible can still be bad. Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will say this, I undoubtedly believe we are better this year than last at CB....however better than terrible can still be bad. Time will tell.

While I agree that overall the cornerbacks have performed pretty well this preseason there's no reason to put too much stock into it.

In 2016 the Packers allowed an opposing quarterback rating of only 52.1 in the four contests and we all know how that transformed into the regular season and playoffs.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we need to go all in for a shutdown corner.

I'd be glad to take back Casey Hayward. Could be difference between SB and bust.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just like the way they are swarming to the ball. They seem faster and if they are not coached to stay way off the receiver (like in that TD you mentioned); they should do better with the personell they have. But I do agree with you Captain that preseason means little. We still need pressure.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worried about the CB's this season. Can this be the weak link for a successful season. There doesn't seem to be any urgency to improve that position. Don't know The FA House ( best days might be behind him ) and draft pick King ( might be great in the future ) will be enough. It would be nice to have just one proven shut down corner!

Signing a player and spending a high draft pick seem like urgency to me.

Reaction score
Signing a player and spending a high draft pick seem like urgency to me.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. LB seems a bit neglected, and we could accuse the team of not having urgency there - though the introduction of the Nitro package and the extra big body safeties could be a manner of addressing that deficiency, and the better D-Line could be expected to help with QB pressure. Secondary, though, they very definitely have tried to address.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think we need to go all in for a shutdown corner.

I'd be glad to take back Casey Hayward. Could be difference between SB and bust.

The Packers most likely won´t add another cornerback receiving significant playing time to the roster this season. Unfortunately I´m not convinced the team has enough talent at the position to contain elite passing offenses.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did not know where to put this so... I like HaHa and I like the way he plays. TT did good with picking him.
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix honors slain police officers with their names on his shoes

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
More like desperation. And neither would be sufficient for this season, I predict.
Why desperation? A high draft pick seems more the norm than not. The FA is to try and replace the one who had a career ending injury. Simple replacement. If Shields were healthy, chances are House is not a Packer. Maybe not King either.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Why desperation? A high draft pick seems more the norm than not. The FA is to try and replace the one who had a career ending injury. Simple replacement. If Shields were healthy, chances are House is not a Packer. Maybe not King either.
I fear though that no one currently on the roster will be able to replicate what Shields brought to the table. Hoping to be very wrong about that.

Reaction score
Did not know where to put this so... I like HaHa and I like the way he plays. TT did good with picking him.
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix honors slain police officers with their names on his shoes
Proof I'm a terrible person: Even though I know the player and his name perfectly well, I read that as ("laughter" dead cops). Should point out I'm a service connected disabled veteran who believes that (good) cops serve our nation as well as any army/marine/airforce/whatever else service member does, just in a different way, and I am 100% anti police violence - that's just how my brain decided to decipher those particular letters.

Members online

Latest posts