Corey Williams currently not part of Packers long term plan?

Reaction score
Source

Corey Williams had the best season of his NFL career in 2006. He figured his chances of becoming a full-time starting defensive tackle in 2007 were good and, if things went well, a contract extension might be in the works.

That seemed to change when the Packers selected defensive tackle Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft.

"I was kind of surprised," Williams said of the pick. "I'm quite sure any of the people on the D-line were surprised."

Williams, who had career highs in sacks (seven) and tackles (47) last season, is in the final year of his rookie contract and can become an unrestricted free agent in March. After Nick Barnett signed his contract extension this offseason, indications were Williams could be next in line for a new contract, but that never happened.

"I thought so, too, but it didn't happen," Williams said. "Hopefully, I can do something to catch their eye, and they'll want to go ahead and sign me."

While Williams says he wants to play out his career in Green Bay, his best chance to start might come with another team. Harrell hasn't participated in contact drills because he's recovering from the torn biceps tendon that prematurely ended his senior year at the University of Tennessee, but Williams has been splitting first-team reps with Colin Cole.

Williams said he reported to minicamp weighing between 325 and 327 pounds. He's listed on the roster at 313 pounds and said he will be closer to 320 for training camp.

"By the time I come back for training camp, I will be in tip-top shape," Williams said.

That surprises me a bit.

Williams could develop into a nice pass rushing DT, and with KGB seemingly producing less and less, Williams would have been a welcome addition.

Why wouldn't the Packers start some preliminary contract talks to bring Williams back? Ted has said he wants to lock up the young players, and I thought Williams had a bright future.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where does that say hes not in the long term plans?

he was practicing with the starters this week i read.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Williams said there were no talks on an extension yet, and Ted has said that he wants to lock up his young nucleus long-term. I'd have thought Williams would be part of that, and there'd at least be some talks that had occurred (even initial talks).

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought I read that Williams and Cole split 1st team reps evenly?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Corey Williams currently not part of Packers long term p

I heard that his agent had some talk with the team, but not alot so far. I think the talks will start and things will get worked out.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres a long time before we gotta worry about losing williams. it will be ok.

let him play a little bit more and make very sure you wanna lock this guy up. when you have a lot of youth, the team is gonna run way under the cap, because of low contracts. However, when you start "locking up players long term" it starts gettin pricey.

so you lock up nick, and a bunch of other young guys... the cap starts running short.... so i say, take your time make sure this guy is worth all the money your about to give him. you cant lose him right now, all you can do is lock yourself into a contract that he may prove unworthy of during the season. if he plays awesome this year you pay him what he wants.... if he has a worse season, you probally still get to keep him, just at a reduced price.
the waiting game is fine with me. but i dont think it will be a problem. we still got plenty of time.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
There lies the rub... what if he has a couple of games like Jenkins did at the end of the year... then that price tag just went up.

If you like what he brings.. try to negotiate a contract on potential and let this coaching staff bring the talent out.

Not to mention that Corey looks around the locker room and starts feeling a little undervalued.

Letting guys hit the open market isn't a way to manage your cap, you wind up paying more for the player. IE... Bubba & Green.

My opinion... but like you say there is alot of time to get it done if you want it done. Depends on the players personallity... wether he will be satisfied and loaf or push it harder and excel after the contract is up.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is kind of like an incentive contract.
He can pick up his game and earn his bigger contract or he can fall on his a??.
Either way the Packers have plenty of time to decide his worth before they sign him or lose him.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really like the depth TT has built on the DL. Injuries WILL happen in the normal course of events. With a sufficient corps of players it can be overcome. Corey is one of this group. He will have one great season because he knows how important this season is to him finacially. It will determine his status for the next 4 yrs. at least. TT will be forced to pay Corey's price, but thank heavens, he has the cap space to do it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is a gamble no matter how they approach it. If they sign a big contract now, he may pull a "Freeman" or "Bubba" and dog it. Or, he could become big this year and bring his supposed value way up.
Either way, if he signs a contract now, and plays HUGE, he STILL is gonna want to restructure it in a year or two, like most (not all, most) players end up doing. As soon as he sees other guys playing his position getting more money then he is, if he is like MOST players, he will feel "dissed" and want more.
Now......I don't personally know him, and maybe he's not that way. I'm just going on what i see alot of players doing now adays.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure why Corey should feel bad because Harrell was signed. After all, Allen was let go so we were one short on the DL. It was NOT a slap at him, IMO. As TT said, the Lord only makes a few capable DL, and he was smart to get the 2nd best one. Hell, he could well turn out to be the best in the final analysis. I certainly expect him to be better than Branch who tends to be fat and lazy. Still, I'll relax some when Corey gets his contract. I think TT is holding back in order to see just how hard Corey will push himself this year. Not a bad stategy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts