Corey Linsley - Future pro bowler?

D

Deleted member 6794

Linsley has been a pleasant surprise this season. Finally there´s no reason to change the starter at the position once again for next year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I didn't view Linsley as a surprise really - I was surprised in a way that Tretter was tagged as the starter early on. I suppose that Tretter having one year of book-learnin' while on I.R. the PUP, his rookie year might have given him the advantage over Linsley in camp.

Told my son at a training camp session in August that Linsley would be the starter eventually - the guy just LOOKED like a natural NFL center, even in camp. His mobility and strength impressed me from the git-go.

Anyway, I think the guy has the definite potential to be an All-Pro but given Wolf and Thompson's propensity toward not paying big bucks to lineman, I'd venture a guess that he won't be around much after his rookie contract expires.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't view Linsley as a surprise really - I was surprised in a way that Tretter was tagged as the starter early on. I suppose that Tretter having one year of book-learnin' while on I.R. the PUP, his rookie year might have given him the advantage over Linsley in camp.

Told my son at a training camp session in August that Linsley would be the starter eventually - the guy just LOOKED like a natural NFL center, even in camp. His mobility and strength impressed me from the git-go.

Anyway, I think the guy has the definite potential to be an All-Pro but given Wolf and Thompson's propensity toward not paying big bucks to lineman, I'd venture a guess that he won't be around much after his rookie contract expires.

Well, Thompson handed out some pretty nice contracts to Sitton and Lang. Linsley is under contract for another three seasons so we shouldn´t be worried about his contract status as of now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. If the nfl awards committee didn hand out rookie of the year to the most productive stats guy they would be looking at him

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. If the nfl awards committee didn hand out rookie of the year to the most productive stats guy they would be looking at him

Linsley has been great for the Packers but Odell Beckham Jr. deserves to be named ROY.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if you ammend that to, "they don't pay big bucks to old or underperforming linemen" then I am in agreement. Besides Sitton, I can't think of a lineman that has been here in the past 10 years on the Oline worth big bucks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley made the block that allowed Rogers to sneak in for the TD. He completely dominated The Stomper and Rogers fell into the endzone. Great block.

D

Deleted member 6794

Linsley made the block that allowed Rogers to sneak in for the TD. He completely dominated The Stomper and Rogers fell into the endzone. Great block.

Linsley made a nice block on Fluellen on Rodgers´ TD as well as Sitton had a good one on Whitehead. Suh wasn´t on the field for that play.

H

HardRightEdge

He's a smart, technically proficient player.

He plays bigger than he is...the 36 Combine lifts show up on the field. Everybody underestimated how well he honed his craft at the college level. I don't think you'll ever hear McCarthy b*tch about his "pad level" ;)...the guy knows leverage. His feet and hands are just the way you draw it up. Very good awareness.

He's a very good pass blocker, but I think the highlights he's brought to this season are the frequency with which holes are being opened up inside the tackles as we've progressed through the season.

It's generally under appreciated how much offensive line play is a team game, particularly in a zone blocking scheme. Executing a block is one thing, but knowing where to go and who to block based on what the guys on either side are going to do is where it starts.

Though he's a fully formed player, there's probably a bit more upside. Another under appreciated aspect of the game in general is the value of a trip or two around the Division. Learning the strengths, weaknesses and tendencies of the guys on the other side of the ball is no small thing for 6 games out of the year. There's simply no educational substitute for snaps in money games.

A pleasant surprise, to be sure.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, Thompson handed out some pretty nice contracts to Sitton and Lang. Linsley is under contract for another three seasons so we shouldn´t be worried about his contract status as of now.
Yeah, projecting what might or might not be for the 2018 season is beyond anybody's reasonable grasp.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the Packers draft a promising OT this year maybe in rnd 3 or 4 to go with this OL. Linsley has been one of the main reasons why our OL has come together. With Bahk-Sitton-Linsley-Lang-Bulaga as starters, and Barclay and Tretter as backups, a solid OT prospect who had a season or two to develop would make our OL really good for years to come.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley made a nice block on Fluellen on Rodgers´ TD as well as Sitton had a good one on Whitehead. Suh wasn´t on the field for that play.
Thanks for the correction. Why is the Lions' best player not on the field for the biggest play of the game? What a gamer.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. Why is the Lions' best player not on the field for the biggest play of the game? What a gamer.
He was on the sidelines looking for a file he could sharpen his spikes with. "When I step on somone, I want them to feel it"

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was on the sidelines looking for a file he could sharpen his spikes with. "When I step on somone, I want them to feel it"
I was thinking he might have hurt his foot when he jammed it on Rogers.....

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sitton will be 31 by the time Linsley's contract is out, I wouldn't be surprised to see T2 let Josh go at the end of his present contract since he doesn't like signing interior linemen past the age of 30. When that day comes I think an Oline made up o Bahk Lang and Linsely sounds like a pretty good unit if the other 2 guys aren't stiffs.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton will be 31 by the time Linsley's contract is out, I wouldn't be surprised to see T2 let Josh go at the end of his present contract since he doesn't like signing interior linemen past the age of 30. When that day comes I think an Oline made up o Bahk Lang and Linsely sounds like a pretty good unit if the other 2 guys aren't stiffs.
Sitton is an absolute BEAST! I would hate to see TT let him go. If his level of play continues, I do believe that Ted will lock him up.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question will be what kind of contract Sitton is seeking. If he and his agent go for a long contract, TT won't do it. Thompson would likely pay Sitton if his performance is still there but on a short term basis.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey is what I and many Packer fans have wanted for years now. Stability at a most critical position. The casual fan doesn't realize how important the center is nor probably realize that 12 has had a new center at the start of a season more times than not. I believe that CL has the chance to wind up being the second best player Ted ever drafted when the dust settles and we are years down the road. This kid has been an absolute rock and from everything I hear about this young man he has the mindset and determination to continue to work on his craft and become as good as he can possibly be. To be honest out of all the things I love about our Packers the draft and develop part of it is my favorite. I love watching preseason games because you get a glimpse of the future be it on our squad or another team. It is just awesome knowing that when you see a kid get drafted chances are that if he does his thing and balls out you are going to get to watch him grow as a man and a player for years to come. When you see a guy like CL get thrown to the wolves out of necessity and start the season in Seattle (and struggle a little) and come seasons end see him playing like a 7 year vet you can't help but smile. The way the Pack runs things reminds me of my childhood when you had sports teams across all spectrum's that you could get to know and almost build a weird long-distance relationship with. That may sound creepy but what I mean by that is after so many seasons you hear and read stories about "your guys" both on the field and off and you almost feel like you know them. Yes, free agency means changing faces but for the most part our squad stays pretty much intact from year to year and I absolutely love that about our team. We know that so long as our guys stay out of trouble, play hard and perform chances are they are going to be in G and G for a while...uuuunless you are a wideout. :) Bottom line is I love the fact that we have a good young kid like Corey who can hold down the center of the line for years to come. He wasn't a first round pick or a big name free agent grab rather he was the 161st player chosen in the draft by OUR team. Corey playing at his current level is another reason I feel better about our chances in the PO's and Seattle to be more exact. He did struggle that first game (who wouldn't) but has turned into not only a decent but good/great player which can only serve us better if there happens to be a second matchup with the Hawks. Sorry as I got sidetracked there but stories like CL just make me smile and once again give thanks for being able to proudly call myself a true life-long Packer fan. G P G!!!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a great find. This kid can definitely be all-pro caliber and special. Smart, poised, tough and strong as an ox. If he can stay healthy, the sky's the limit. And we'll have our center for the next decade or so.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
if you ammend that to, "they don't pay big bucks to old or underperforming linemen" then I am in agreement. Besides Sitton, I can't think of a lineman that has been here in the past 10 years on the Oline worth big bucks.

Fair enough. Consider it amended. :)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said from draft day, that Linsley will start by mid-season. He is a brute. Even with my high expectations. I didnt expect him to come out as a rookie, and dominate the way he has. I can count all the mistakes I seen on one hand. through 16 games! And the attitude he brings. He is a scrapper. Love it... Between him and Bahktiari, we struck gold in the mid rounds, last two years. Bulaga, when healthy is a great RT. And the guards are obvious beasts. Stacked across the board. And our run game proves it.

Members online

Latest posts