1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial Topic: Death Penalty

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by mkapp, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am wishy-washy on the death penalty. I really have a fundamental problem with the State being allowed to kill its citizens. However, some of these freaks are a threat to other prison inmates and the prison staff and have nothing to live for if they receive a true life sentence.

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was wrong. I thought this thread would start going south, but I underestimated everyone's cool here. So, I'll post my feelings on the death penalty in general.

I am against the death penalty simply because I am for a small, weak government and power to the citizens. Allowing the government to kill a citizen would be hypocritical to my beliefs.

However, I'm not going to shed a tear when some completely evil person gets whacked.

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    But isn't that the basis of the judicial system? You are tried by a committee of your peers, citizens on a jury and even if the death penalty is placed on the table by the state / government, it still requires that jury to place the penalty upon you if you are found guilty.

Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

4. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with 93z. It does not matter what the cost is. This sicko should be executed immediately. Either that or he should be sent straight to the general population ward of the prison. He would last less than a half hour in the general population, and he would suffer extreme pain in his death. The lifers would be standing in line to kill this SOB.

5. steveGB

steveGB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The death penalty in my mind just lowers the government and community to the same status as a murderer. Who has the right to decide who gets to live or who gets to die? Its just another way to play god. No matter what the acts the criminals have done theres always a worse punishment than death. Its more of a release than a punishment. Just my opinion anyway what does a 20 year old know.

6. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you a Libertarian Zombie? You sound like one. Sorry if it is rude to ask your politics. That is the political identity I most identify with, but I tend to be all over the spectrum depending on the issue.

7. NodakPaul

NodakPaul Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an option for him to be slowly and painfully tortured for years before death finally comes in the form of a sweet merciful release instead of a punishment?

No?

OK, I'll vote death penalty then. Next best option for this piece of ****.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think you are looking at it correctly Pack93z.
    When the crimes are this horrible, to me, that guy has lost all his rights. He took away the rights of his victims when he commited the crimes against them.
    I don't think putting this scum to death lowers us to his level. He HIMSELF made the decision when he committed the crimes against INNOCENT people. He signed his own death warrant. Even if he is sentenced to death, it will take MANY years to carry out that sentence. He will go after appeal after appeal. He will have plenty of time to think about what he did......although i doubt if he even cares how many families he has torn apart with his actions.

9. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    small "l" libertarian. Not associated with the party at all.

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheesey - On paper, I'd agree with you. I hate first degree murderers just as much as the next guy, but don't trust any system with the power to decide someone should live or die.

11. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    That must be an American thing with the big and small "l". In Canada we have the big and small "c" Conservative.

I am not associated with the Libertarian party either, although for the first time I actually voted for them in our last Provincial election.

Most of our Libertarians just run as Conservatives. I think the same is true in the States, where Ron Paul, and Reagan are/were Republicans with strong Libertarian ties. Odd though for Reagan to be a huge advocate of the death penalty though?

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The system though is run by the people, not the government. It takes the jury to decide the fate of the criminal. And it's not taken lightly. There has to be indisbutable evidence before the death penalty can be handed out.
    It's not just "average" homicides to get sentenced to death, it has to be an even more horrible type of crime or crimes.

13. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheesey most libertarians do not subscribe to the whole democracy notion. Instead of viewing the rights of the collective they take a more individualistic approach.

Democracy can be two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo!

I fear Democracy. Democracy = tyranny of the majority.

We do not live in a Democracy. We live in a Republic. HUGE difference. Our style of Republic respects the Rights of individual citizens, even when we're a feared minority, or look weird, or listen to weird music, or have a different skin color, or have hair that's too long, or have a religion that other people think is strange, etc.

My basic sentiment is leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Who does the actual execution? If I'm not mistaken, it's the state.

It's hard to argue against the death penalty when it comes to first degree murderers. I definitely see your point.

But for me to say that I'm for a very small, weak government then say I'm for the death penalty would be hypocritical. The thing that really scares me is that Bush Sr expanded the death penalty greatly, and in case you don't know this, treason is punishable by death. Well, he also expanded greatly the definition of treason. Now there's a bad road we don't want to go down.

16. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is, Libertarians and true Conservatives (not neo-Cons) believe in small government when it comes to economics. So they have that in common.

Where they differ is with personal freedom. Libertarians believe that you should allow people to do pretty much anything. They're almost Anarchists. Conservatives on the other hand are far from that.

Ron Paul is closer to a Libertarian, but needed to Republican votes to be taken seriously and there still is a strong libertarian base in the Republican party that he appealed to.

But alas, we're going pretty far off topic and if you have any more questions, probably best to p.m. me. I'd hate to be the cause of this good thread getting locked.