1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Controversial Topic: Death Penalty

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by mkapp, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was summoned this week to be a potential juror for a sentencing hearing involving one of the worst crimes in Idaho.

Wiki
    News Story

We were to determine if the death penalty was necessary or if he should serve life in prison without the possibility for parole. Keep in mind that he is already serving 3 life sentences for other killings and what occurred in Idaho happened while on parole for sexually assaulting a kid in Minnesota.

I found out today that I was not chosen to be a juror on the case and was dismissed much to my relief. I have heard that he videotaped the things he did to the children he kidnapped, and that the jurors would be presented all the evidence from the case.

Based on what I know about the case, and my own personal beliefs - this man deserves to die. Not only for the peace of mind for the little girl who survived the whole ordeal, but for the amount of money this man is costing the taxpayers through the courts and prison systems.

I am curious to hear other opinions or thoughts...

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My opinion is that he should pay with his life. Scum like that does not deserve to take in a single breath of air.
    That said, if he does get the death penalty, he will probably sit on death row for 20 to 30 years for appeal after appeal.

3. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He has a creepy website as well called the Fifth Nail. The .com site was shut down, but his blog is still out there up to May of 2005. While this guy was not mentally stable, he was aware enough to post his troubles in a blog. If he recognized potential problems and that he was losing control, why didnt he seek professional mental help?

Note: There is no such thing as an insanity plea in the state of Idaho.

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Over/under when this gets locked?

My guess 9 pm, it starts getting personal and it gets locked.

5. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I give it an hour with arrow on the lurk.

6. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Sad to inform you, because it makes me ill.... BUT.... It costs more to execute a criminal than it does to keep him in prison for life.

R.P.

7. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why should it get locked? As long as nobody gets personal, Zombie mentioned, it is a valid topic.

8. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree, I don't think much should be locked except for Vikings ads, and people trying to sell physical items. Sell yourself all you want. In fact, I promote it.

Either way, since it is a good topic, here is my take. Raider Pride is right, the cost of putting someone down, far outweighs the cost of just keeping them locked up. He failed to mention that it is not the 'putting down' itself that is expensive, it is the court process that precedes the actual death. That I think, is the shame of it all.

I don't have all the facts, so I won't judge anyone, but if it looks like a duck ... Personally, sitting in prison, for any length of time, is far worse than any death. Let them sit and think.

9. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From experience, you could be talking about anything political and suddenly Nazis or Hitler gets mentioned and it's all downhill from there.

10. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
  11. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Darn you arrow.

I'd like to get involved, but I don't know if I should... it is an interesting topic though, the death penalty is probably one of my most favourite topics to debate.

12. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    My simple opinion, is you can take the cost out of the equation, justice in my mind shouldn't come down to a tax burden. What good could it possibly serve to let this man live out his days on the tax payer's dime and not having to do a thing productive again in his lifetime.

IMO.. any crime against a child should be dealt with to the extent within the letter of the law, so if the death penalty is on the table.. I agree with it.

If it was my child.. I would have no problem giving my life in taking this piece of dung out.. an I am a peaceful man, but kids have little to no defense mechanism's in which to protect themselves.. ultimate price is to turn the tables and put the fear of god into this ma.. errr monster.

13. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Being a mod shouldn't mean that you can't actively debate something non attacking nor personal in nature.. in my opinion.. or maybe you are a McFly at heart.. :D

14. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The cost already has to be astronomical. Between all the court cases he has already been through. They paid us $40/day and .50cents a mile to show up - plus transporting him from court to prison and back. Maybe just put him in a bullet proof room with gun and let him decide.

15. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Zombie.

This is the reason I do not trust the press. The Cover Of Time Magazine on Jan 03, 1939

TIME MAGAZINES "Man Of The Year Issue."

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19390102,00.html

16. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    what he's trying to say is it should already be locked if we're to stay consistent with the rules, so partipating in it might be a bit confusing to other members. sometimes we let these threads go until somebody gets uncivil, and sometimes we nip them in the bud. it's like getting great seats to a car accident.

17. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    The political card eh.. understandable... but the McFly comment popped into my head so I needed some type of opening response.. ;)

But seriously, it is hard to walk that fine line on political items.. what is allowed and what is locked.. it is almost as maddening as the topics themselves..

18. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    yeah he's a total McFly, his little sister gets the bigger piece of chicken, every time.

19. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I knew someone would bust that out, I was waiting to let Trom do it.

20. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely why I joined this forum. :)

Seriously, as 93z points out, he and I don't usually agree.
    However in this case, his first post articulated my beliefs rather well.
    Well said.

21. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    TIME magazine is just really good at finding the good in people!

after digging around on that link i found out he was on the cover of TIME a crapload of times before the war. there were quite a few interesting pictures as well.

22. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe create a second account and pretend to be from Minnesota or something and spell both favorite and color without the u. We'd never guess it was you if you did that.

23. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be honest Zombie, that's more work than I'm willing to do at the moment.

Coming off of final exams, anything that takes like 10 seconds or more of effort really is a turn off, at least for the first couple of days for me.

24. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0

:lol:

Yeah, I would've thought arrow would've locked it and that'd be the end of that.

Then he goes and indicates he's interested in watching how this thread develops. Darn you arrow.

But my opinions on the death penalty have changed since the last time we had a thread on the death penalty itself. That was a long while ago, and it ended up that like 95% of the forum was on one side, and the other 5% was represented by someone names 'SuperRat' I believe. Turns out after that thread went on for a while, SuperRat never returned to the forums.

To his credit though, SuperRat was very civil in the debate, as were a lot of people. Eventually though, the thing started to get out of hand... and yeah that isn't surprising.

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Pack93z..............cost should have nothing to do with it.
    If cost is what you base justice on, might as well open all the doors of the prisons and let the bad guys go, cause keeping them locked up costs alot to ALL of us. I know thats extreme, just trying to make the point that we can't base punishment on cost.
    If this scum bag did those things to my loved ones, i'd want 10 minutes and a baseball bat with that piece of trash.
    It IS expensive either way. Maybe if they made prison a place of PUNISHMENT instead of people worrying about prisoners "rights", we wouldn't have so many repeat offenders.
    Charles Manson opened my eyes to that years ago during an interview, when he said something to the effect that prison was great! He didn't have to worry about paying rent, or where his next meal was coming from, and there was plenty of sex. (UGH!!!!)
    Quite different from when i saw James Cagney movies from the old days, where prison was a HORRIBLE place of punishment.
    Sorry.......I'm done now.