1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Contracts

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by gopackgo, Feb 15, 2008.

1. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it deemed socially okay that teams and owners can terminate contracts, while players that holdout for more money and sit out part of the season are considered to be villians? Both are disregarding a contract.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for either side, I would just like to hear other opinions on the matter.

2. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Owners are not disregarding a contract. THey are within their rights as terms of the contracts to do so. Players on the other hand, do not honor a contract when they hold out.

Trust me, if the owners were disregarding the terms of the contract there would be major lawsuits.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for clearing that up Trippster! I KNEW there was something i was missing, but you cleared it up!

4. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That is why it is important to get the signing bonus money. That is the only gauranteed money that is in a players contract. Players can be terminated at any time. However, the signing bonus prorating gets accelerated, so it is difficult to cut some players that had huge signing bonuses (see also: Benson, Cedric)

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    CBA allows for it. meaning that the owners are within the agreement made between them and the players' union.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977

perfectly said