Contra Needs

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones actually played really well when playing closer to the line as a hybrid LB. It was when they had him deep he struggled and made way too many lapses.

I don't believe Jones was lined up deep very often. He definitely has potential but has to be more assignment sure to adequately replace Burnett.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Packers pick would be Sutton over Ridley. Based on production, measurables and athleticism Sutton is head shoulders closer to what the Packers typically value and draft in a WR.

See, that's why I depend on you guys for player analysis even though you don't always agree. So using that as an example I'd probably not be too happy if they took Sutton at 14 since all I have read has him a a late first early second round talent. Now if he were there at 28, 29, 30, 31 32 33 and they felt that by giving up a few later round picks they could move up to get him I'd be OK with it. I would not like them to trade back to 28 and still grab him because I think they would be giving up a great opportunity at 14.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't believe Jones was lined up deep very often. He definitely has potential but has to be more assignment sure to adequately replace Burnett.
He got in a fair number number of snaps at high safety in October-November, games where both Burnett and Brice were out. I think that was 3 games.

The stat comparison of Jones to Burnett is interesting.

Their defensive snap counts were about equal, Jones at 69.6% and Burnett at 69.0% according to footballoutsiders.com.

Per ESPN stats, solo tackles / assists / sacks / passes defended / INTs / forced fumbles were:

Jones: 60 / 11 / 2.0 / 5 / 1 / 0

Burnett: 48 / 20 / 0.0 / 3 / 0 / 1

D

Deleted member 6794

He got in a fair number number of snaps at high safety in October-November, games where both Burnett and Brice were out. I think that was 3 games.

I guess Clinton-Dix was primarily lined up at high safety in those games though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lost: Capers, Randall, and Morgan
Gained: Pettine, Wilkerson, Tramon

While I wholeheartedly agree they need to continue to concentrate on D, I don't think flat out saying it's only gotten worse is fair either. If Tramon can play to the level he did last year and Wilkerson plays anywhere close to the level he has in the past, one could make the argument the defense has improved. 2 big If's I understand but the firing of Capers should lead to an improvement in itself.
they've lost more than that and pettine is still an unknown with the Packers. randall: young w/upside for t-will: old w/downside, wilkerson for dial, burnett for ?, joe thomas for ?, ahmad brooks for ? not an upgrade in the bunch. depth at linebacker is a concern. so far the D is worse.
on O graham is an upgrade at te but the gaping wound at wr hasn't been addressed. the right side of the o-line is huge concern. so on O...it's kind of a wash. no improvement.

D

Deleted member 6794

they've lost more than that and pettine is still an unknown with the Packers. randall: young w/upside for t-will: old w/downside, wilkerson for dial, burnett for ?, joe thomas for ?, ahmad brooks for ? not an upgrade in the bunch. depth at linebacker is a concern. so far the D is worse.

The defensive line is definitely a strength entering this season. As long as both Matthews and Perry stay healthy the Packers should be fine at edge rusher as well. Martinez and Ryan are at least adequate inside linebackers. The performance of the secondary will decisive in which direction the defense is headed in 2018 and in my opinion Gutekunst needs to upgrade the cornerback position before opening week.

There's no need to be worried about replacing Brooks or Thomas.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive line is definitely a strength entering this season. As long as both Matthews and Perry stay healthy the Packers should be fine at edge rusher as well. Martinez and Ryan are at least adequate inside linebackers. The performance of the secondary will decisive in which direction the defense is headed in 2018 and in my opinion Gutekunst needs to upgrade the cornerback position before opening week.

There's no need to be worried about replacing Brooks or Thomas.
agree on the d-line but lb depth IS a concern. brooks' and thomas' replacements have to be at least as good...or it's fail. i'd really like to see someone better than tramon back there too.

D

Deleted member 6794

agree on the d-line but lb depth IS a concern. brooks' and thomas' replacements have to be at least as good...or it's fail.

I agree the Packers need to add quality depth at edge rusher. Losing Brooks is a non-issue though as he didn't produce any impact plays last season.

Members online

Latest posts