Conservative?

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly don't mind these plays from time to time. Only we didn't have the right rb for it, had it been a healthy lacy I'd be good with it.

That play would have had only a slim chance to be successful even with a healthy Lacy on the field.

I believe Rodgers has the authority to change any play at any time. We needed the time out later.

The Packers didn't have a single receiver on the field for the play. Therefore it was impossible for Rodgers to change to another one.

H

HardRightEdge

I would consider this the most conservative formation and the most conservative play in the playbook

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/821153886421585926?s=09

11 in the box... Timeout needs to be taken and a new play called.
Why would you expect a timeout? That personnel, that formation and that running back were sent out there to run that play; 11 in the box would be expected. They got what they wanted.

As stated earlier, why run an "impose your will" play on 2nd. and 8 when you need to improve on a 51 yd. FG postion while, given the down, distance and field position, this is a passing down from the defense's perspective.

I have no problem running the ball in that situation but, to repeat, running this way makes no sense. Spread 'em out.

I hope to never see this again unless it's 1 yard to go, but I won't hold my breath.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't mind these plays from time to time. Only we didn't have the right rb for it, had it been a healthy lacy I'd be good with it.

I agree with you, need to call plays for the players we have and not the players we wish we had.

H

HardRightEdge

I believe Rodgers has the authority to change any play at any time. We needed the time out later.
On the surface, one might think Rodgers could have audibled to something like a play action bootleg with the TEs running under/over out routes with one of the backs slipping out into whatever space he can find, along with the QB run option. But it's 8 yards to go. The DBs defending the edge can't be expected to bite on the run with that down and distance, and they're out of range for a reach block...they are where they are to defend the edge.

The only excuse for this call would be that the audible I describe, or something like it, was in fact the primary play call attempting a bit of deception, Rodgers saw it wouldn't work, did not want to risk a throw-away incompletion when they are trying to burn the clock, and audibled to the run. However, I highly doubt that.

It suddenly struck me, on this momentous day, that proclamations with trillion dollar implications can be made in a sound bite or 140 characters while it takes so, so many words here to dissect a single football play. The gap in genius must be an ocean wide, right? :speechless:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts