Conservative 2nd Half Play Calling

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no other way to explain the defense in the 2nd half except that the scheme changed to reflect score. Or would all those plays in the middle of the field for Detroit have been there in the 1st half? I don't think so. Couple that with McCarthy wanting to run the clock with 2 quarters left to play and you have the recipe for a comeback.

D

Deleted member 6794

They were playing a zone to prevent a big play and to make Detroit kill clock. They sat in zone and gave up chunks of yards. The problem is they weren't aggressive, like nobody wanted to be that guy who gave up a quick score. They let Detroit take up to 10-15 yards. They also got no pressure with the front 4.

Unfortunately the secondary didn't do a good job of preventing big plays at all.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly, 21, not 28 at the half. I had that 28 point lead so ingrained with a minute and a half left that I still can't get used to the real numbers. Call it a 28 point lead almost at halftime.

After that, I don't know where the play-calling references came from, as far as my post went. All I asked for was someone to make a 28 point lead turning into a 7 point win sound good, and the fact that the Pack nearly didn't punt actually makes it seems even worse.

Well the playcalling references are because this thread was created to complain about MM and his conservative play calling even though offensive play calling waa not an issue in the least

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the secondary didn't do a good job of preventing big plays at all.

The last TD to Jones, 35 yards. Outside of that, what big play did they give up in the second half?

The truth is this game was never in jeopardy. The "zone d" that nobody likes (me included) did what it was supposed to do. It gave up chunks and ate clock. I am pretty sure that last TD to Jones was had against man to man. It was 34-17 going into the 4th and they didn't score another TD until less than 4 minutes to go in the game.

Some key drops on offense and defense prior to that led to having even that much time left. Again, this game was not as close as some of you make it out to be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know, capers better get that boy Randall some help, receivers getting 200yrds a week on him.
Maybe he is helping him? Just not in a way we all would expect. From what I understand, he's very confident, very cocky, and very mouthy. Maybe some humble pie at this point in the season is what he needs. He needs it to learn to trust in himself, but also the players around him. Trust in his coaching because just being physically gifted is t enough against any of these guys.

I know the kid can play. I have a feeling there is some testing and teaching going on. Toss in a lot of injury to veteran guys and a lot of youth on the field and you get what we see.

D

Deleted member 6794

The last TD to Jones, 35 yards. Outside of that, what big play did they give up in the second half?

The defense gave up three passes of more than 20 yards and seven of more than 10 and only forced a single punt in the second half. I'm quite sure that wasn't Capers plan coming out of halftime.

If not for a missed field goal by the Lions and a timely stop this game could have ended in a huge comeback win for Detroit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If not for a missed field goal by the Lions and a timely stop this game could have ended in a huge comeback win for Detroit.

Or the excellent job that Jake Schum did fielding the terrible snap by Goode and staying focused enough to get a punt off. That ball goes over his head or he can't get the punt off, that game potentially gets a lot closer quicker.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no other way to explain the defense in the 2nd half except that the scheme changed to reflect score. Or would all those plays in the middle of the field for Detroit have been there in the 1st half? I don't think so. Couple that with McCarthy wanting to run the clock with 2 quarters left to play and you have the recipe for a comeback.

Forget the score ! Just play like it's 0-0 all the time !

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some are blaming the offense for not having a better game. Others are blaming the defense.
Why can't it be both?
The offense, mostly thanx to McMuffin, didn't run up the score or pass and make 1st downs to keep the ball long enough.
The defense didn't keep the Lions from scoring.
Both sides do their jobs and we would have had a bigger cushion between scores.

D

Deleted member 6794

The offense, mostly thanx to McMuffin, didn't run up the score or pass and make 1st downs to keep the ball long enough.

It's funny that a lot of posters that advocated for the Packers to run the ball more often after the Vikings game criticize McCarthy for being too conservative after doing exactly what was asked for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Forget the score ! Just play like it's 0-0 all the time !
When the opposing team is down by several touchdowns it dictates what they are going to do on offense....the need for quick scores. So while its nice to say "stay focussed and play within your defensive scheme", you can't do that when the other team is looking to go for broke as often as possible. While I'm not happy with all the yards Detroit picked up, nor the ease in which they picked them up, there is some sense to making sure your defense isn't playing like its 0-0 but playing with a big lead and not give up the big plays. We just saw some mistakes by individual players that made the yardage too easy to obtain.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both sides did their jobs just fine seeing as how they won. I understand the criticism for the conservative play, but we are complaining about how poorly we WON.

Edit: Pokerbrat is spot on. The game plan wasn't flawed, the player execution was poor at times.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Although.....Schum is shorter at 5' 11". Masthay at 6' 1" may not have let that one shank off the side of his hands?? :coffee:

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has a 14-0 record in games Green Bay is leading by at least 21 at the half. He has a 97-14 record in games where he had a lead of at least a point heading into the 4th quarter. Not a big lead, not protecting a huge margin, just at least a point. His record in games where the Packers had a lead of at least 10+ points heading into the 4th quarter? 60-1. That one loss isn't even the NFC Championship game, as people forget that the Packers only had a 9 point lead heading into the 4th; they made it a 12 point lead late in the 4th with a FG.

So for all the incredible *****ing everyone likes to do about how MM "TAKES HIS FOOT OFF THE GAS AND NOW GREEN BAY IS DOOMED", Green Bay has a sensational record in games that they're protecting a big lead in.

Fun note, the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick, the poster child for "step on the gas, then on their throat" for a lot of fans? He's lost 2 games where they had a fourth quarter lead of at least 10 points from 2006-2016, or twice as many as MM. So next time you're convinced the Packers are doomed because one time in a big game a whole bunch of unthinkable **** happened in a row, just remember that statistical outliers are called outliers for a reason; because they aren't representative of the whole:)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MM has a 14-0 record in games Green Bay is leading by at least 21 at the half. He has a 97-14 record in games where he had a lead of at least a point heading into the 4th quarter. Not a big lead, not protecting a huge margin, just at least a point. His record in games where the Packers had a lead of at least 10+ points heading into the 4th quarter? 60-1. That one loss isn't even the NFC Championship game, as people forget that the Packers only had a 9 point lead heading into the 4th; they made it a 12 point lead late in the 4th with a FG.

Can only give you one rating connected directly to your post, but also wanted to give you a :tup: and a "nice find on stats" pat on the......back. I would have never guessed those stats, but goes to show you......winning is the most important thing and MM probably cares less about style points....I mean have you seen his beard? :coffee:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the playcalling references are because this thread was created to complain about MM and his conservative play calling even though offensive play calling waa not an issue in the least

Sorry. I rarely pay attention to the thread titles because, after the first couple of posts, they are usually no longer germane. In your context, I understand the comment.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both sides did their jobs just fine seeing as how they won. I understand the criticism for the conservative play, but we are complaining about how poorly we WON.

Edit: Pokerbrat is spot on. The game plan wasn't flawed, the player execution was poor at times.

Yes, because how poorly we won might beat a team like the Lions, but wont win against superior teams.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the opposing team is down by several touchdowns it dictates what they are going to do on offense....the need for quick scores. So while its nice to say "stay focussed and play within your defensive scheme", you can't do that when the other team is looking to go for broke as often as possible. While I'm not happy with all the yards Detroit picked up, nor the ease in which they picked them up, there is some sense to making sure your defense isn't playing like its 0-0 but playing with a big lead and not give up the big plays. We just saw some mistakes by individual players that made the yardage too easy to obtain.

Well if your going to play not giving up the big plays you better have a very big lead. If yesterday's game had a fifth quarter, the Lions would have won. It was like playing "beat the clock".

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if your going to play not giving up the big plays you better have a very big lead. If yesterday's game had a fifth quarter, the Lions would have won. It was like playing "beat the clock".
They played to have the lead after the 4th quarter. If they knew there were to be a 5th, they'd play different. There are times I have planned for just over enough gas in my car to get to the refill station. If it were further away, I'd just manage it different to have more gas to get to it.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling was a problem/vanilla on BOTH sides of the ball. We were content to give up the middle of the field and not give the Lions a different look on defense.

We made hay in the first half with quick, high % passes, but in the second, it was beyond obvious that the goal was to just keep the clock ticking. A couple of short runs and then trying to make things happen on third and longs. Even the final drive was the same, but luckily AR was able to scramble for the first, otherwise DET is driving to tie up the game.

The point is, as was the point that you quoted in your previous post, this isn't the first time in recent history this has happened. The Pack has a knack for letting games get close that shouldn't be.

Agree. MM is afraid to show up the other team, IMO. So what happens?
The other team gets back into the game. I am not a MM fan.

And... the open middle of the field! What was that? Guys were running free all over the place. MM is such a bad game coach. I can't stand him.

Members online

Latest posts