Conservative 2nd Half Play Calling

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
We have seen it for 5 years now. We watch other teams run the score up for statement wins, Why do we go to that ridiculous pistol formation and run run run? MM cannot keep his foot on the gas? Why is that?

Reaction score
We also repeatedly failed to run the clock out in the first half on our second to last possession.
Several designed plays on that series would have left us in the red zone with 2 Timeouts and assured us between 3 and 7 points and left ZERO time on the clock.
We could've played the clock and went up either 27-3 or 31-3. We didn't need a quick score there, we needed to run out the clock and score.
We gave Stafford the ball back and he erased our 7. This isn't probability 101 but it's an error to score there too quickly when your up by several scores
I'd rather have 3-7 points and them zero guaranteed than 7 points and a chance to let them gain momentum. Send them in the locker room with 3

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love it when after a game were we punt twice and had zero TOs people complain about play calling...... And people wonder why it gets pointed out that some people will whine no matter what

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not going to complain about the offense but the D playing that zone crap is another story.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit could have scored again....they could have won this game. IMO when you have lead at the half you clear that score from your mind and you play your game in the 3rd quarter. If you have a huge lead in the 4th then you can start to run out the clock but you absolutely have to administer a 3rd quarter kill shot or 2 before that.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree in terms of the entire second half but, I found McCarthy's play-calling on the final drive a breath of fresh air.

Received the ball with 3:34 left in the game with a one touchdown lead and DET with all their timeouts.

1st down: Short run by Lacy. DET burns their first timeout.
2nd down: Short run by Lacy. DET burns second timeout.
3rd down: With nothing open, Rodgers scrambles for the first down. Minute comes off the clock.

1st down: Rodgers quick pass to Adams for nine yards, DET burns last timeout.
2nd down: Eddie busts one for nine yards, only needing one yard and ballgame.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty good run D for the entire game, but the passing D in the second half was terrible. Guess they missed Shields, Burnett and Matthews...

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just frustrating and doesn't bode well for the future when we have a huge lead at half against a crappy team and it still comes down to us needing a first down at the 2 minute warning in order to put the game away.

I should have been taking a nap in the second half instead of face palming the entire half when a receiver is torching us for 200 yards and we abandon the offensive strategy that got us 31 points in the first half.

Some folks complain about the patriots running up the score on teams but you can't argue with that team's accomplishments.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, relax. This was not a case of conservative play callings. We only possessed the ball 4 times in the second half.

IMO when you have lead at the half you clear that score from your mind and you play your game in the 3rd quarter.

Ah, but they did. Packers had 1 drive in the 3rd quarter. They scored a field goal. It was a 5 minute drive. That is a success. However, the Lions had the ball for 10 minutes in the 3rd. That isn't good. That is on the defense.

Or are we going to call the pass to Davis for a first down, that was dropped when he was wide open a conservative play call?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not one call here or one call there. Its a mindset that this coaching staff has instilled in this team for years. They go up big in the first half and they give almost all of it back...but not all of it in the second half. They may have only had 4 drives but the tempo they had established in the first half and the flow were gone. Cobb and Jordy seemed to be missing from many of the sets.

I just want to see a continuation of the 1st half dominance into the 2nd half. Early last year did this not happen vs KC and SD? I swear both of those were 1st half blowouts only to become very close calls at the end.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to see a continuation of the 1st half dominance into the 2nd half. Early last year did this not happen vs KC and SD? I swear both of those were 1st half blowouts only to become very close calls at the end.

Then blame the defense. They didn't get the ball back.

Drive no. 1 got points. Drive no. 4 ran out the clock for the win.

Assuming you liked those two, there were literally two drives, two, that can even be subjected to scrutiny. Drive no. 2 was run-run-pass-punt.

Drive no.3 opened with a 10 yard sideline pass. Explain to me how that was conservative.

You are literally complaining about ONE drive. You are seeing what you want to see rather than what actually happened.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think they could of hung 50 on them but the story was the defense not getting off the field in 3rd and longs and giving up yet again another 4th down conversion.

Other then Nick Perry there was little to no pass rush. The secondary is wounded right now. I really hope Shields is okay because he changes everything on the back end. Randle needs to get out of this funk he is in. Guys gotta quite dropping sure interceptions.

Good time for a bye as they gotta get some guys healthy.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then blame the defense. They didn't get the ball back...

The play calling was a problem/vanilla on BOTH sides of the ball. We were content to give up the middle of the field and not give the Lions a different look on defense.

We made hay in the first half with quick, high % passes, but in the second, it was beyond obvious that the goal was to just keep the clock ticking. A couple of short runs and then trying to make things happen on third and longs. Even the final drive was the same, but luckily AR was able to scramble for the first, otherwise DET is driving to tie up the game.

The point is, as was the point that you quoted in your previous post, this isn't the first time in recent history this has happened. The Pack has a knack for letting games get close that shouldn't be.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love it when after a game were we punt twice and had zero TOs people complain about play calling...... And people wonder why it gets pointed out that some people will whine no matter what

Agreed, and on the drives we punted, that happened because Cobb and Davis both dropped some hot passes that they were open and just flat out put on the ground. Well, ok Cobb did have a man in his grill, but I seen him make that catch before plenty of times, and he shoulda had this one. But bottom line those were not bad play calls or bad Rodgers/schemes, those were just flat out 2 players failing to execute their jobs.

But also, as far as so-called conservative play calls and what not, weren't we all raving for Mike McCarthy to run it more? You got a big grinder like Lacy who can deliver knockouts to defenses when our pass game has opened them up and they got a beatup LB core, why wouldn't you use him?

As others have pointed out, while our O didn't run up the score per se, this D was playing with young guys and at some point they were bound to give up some plays. Obviously MM wanted to work the clock in this second half to try and give them a rest, and while it took a little late, he did just that on the final drive.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey, I'm open to suggestion. Tell me how to turn a 28 point halftime lead into a 7 point win and make that sound good.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the lead was technically 21 at the half because of that broken coverage TD right at the end. I still don't like a 28 pt lead turn into a very close game that required some big scrambles from 12 to finish off.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I'm open to suggestion. Tell me how to turn a 28 point halftime lead into a 7 point win and make that sound good.

Well first I'd point out it was a 21 point halftime lead and NOT a 28 point one all because the defense decided to play aggressively, like so many have clamored for, instead of playing a off 2 deep high zone in that situation.

And then I'd go on to remind him that we didn't end up punting for the first time untill late in the game and it was because of a dropped ball and not the play calling. Same with the 2nd, and only other, punt of the game so complaining about the offensive play calling is non sensical and absurd when the plays called would've moved the chains had it not been for dropped balls.

And then if they still choose to complain I just walk away because all they're arguing torwards is their own personal bias instead of actually looking at anything that happened in the game

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Then blame the defense. They didn't get the ball back.

Drive no. 1 got points. Drive no. 4 ran out the clock for the win.

Assuming you liked those two, there were literally two drives, two, that can even be subjected to scrutiny. Drive no. 2 was run-run-pass-punt.

Drive no.3 opened with a 10 yard sideline pass. Explain to me how that was conservative.

You are literally complaining about ONE drive. You are seeing what you want to see rather than what actually happened.

At least some here are rational

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I pointed this out in another thread a couple days ago that someone will find something to complain about the Packers after they win.

However I am with the OP on this one.
The game was just too close for my comfort after they barely beat the JJs, got beat by 3 from Minny and now it looks like the Lions could have beat them.
They should widen the gap between scores to insure they will win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have seen it for 5 years now. We watch other teams run the score up for statement wins, Why do we go to that ridiculous pistol formation and run run run? MM cannot keep his foot on the gas? Why is that?
They are just getting warmed up for yet another playoff loss when the time comes.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion it's ridiculous to criticize the play calling in the second half. Unfortunately the offense didn't execute on a high level early in the fourth quarter contributing to the Lions getting back into the game.

There shouldn't be any doubt about the defense being mostly to blame for it though. The secondary needs to get Shields and Burnett back with Randall hopefully being able to break out of his slump.

With that being said it has happened too often over the last few years that the Packers have allowed a team trailing by a several scores to get back in a game. That might indicate the coaching staff and the team's overall mentality being responsible for it.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Criticizing the offensive play calling in the 2nd half is absolutely ridiculous. However if you want to criticize the defense, I will gladly jump on that wagon. I have had no qualms about blaming this defense for years and they completely suck again. Cross your fingers and hope that the secondary getting healthy will make a difference but I wouldn't hold your breath.

D

Deleted member 6794

We also repeatedly failed to run the clock out in the first half on our second to last possession.
Several designed plays on that series would have left us in the red zone with 2 Timeouts and assured us between 3 and 7 points and left ZERO time on the clock.
We could've played the clock and went up either 27-3 or 31-3. We didn't need a quick score there, we needed to run out the clock and score.

I'm sorry but I think it's insane criticizing the offense for scoring touchdowns.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shhh.... No one question anything after a win, and also calm down after a loss.

What do you think this is, A discussion board? :tup:

Sheesh, how dare you think to consider talking about your personal thoughts on a game in a posting forum meant for obviously not talking about anything other than how great our world class team is. Get a clue already.;)

Members online

Latest posts