Confessions of a Packer-A-Holic

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
almost mid preseason, thought I would lighten things up a bit. If this has been done before, someone Zap my post, I won't be offended.

I thought it would be fun to hear the strange or crazy rituals you may have surrounding your love of the Packers....I will start it out with one of mine.

Game Day....I do not like watching live TV, just can't stomach the commercials. So I usually DVR games and start watching an hour or more after the game starts. This can create one major issue....I DO NOT want to know ANYTHING about the game from anyone. So I go into loner/nomad mode before a game. Trying to isolate myself from everyone and anything that may tip me off to something, including headphones, quiet country drives, mowing the yard, etc. As you may guess, over the years I have had a few spoilers from various people or driving by a bar after a game and seeing happy/sad faces on Packer fans as they stream out. For the most part though....it has worked.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

almost mid preseason, thought I would lighten things up a bit. If this has been done before, someone Zap my post, I won't be offended.

I thought it would be fun to hear the strange or crazy rituals you may have surrounding your love of the Packers....I will start it out with one of mine.

Game Day....I do not like watching live TV, just can't stomach the commercials. So I usually DVR games and start watching an hour or more after the game starts. This can create one major issue....I DO NOT want to know ANYTHING about the game from anyone. So I go into loner/nomad mode before a game. Trying to isolate myself from everyone and anything that may tip me off to something, including headphones, quiet country drives, mowing the yard, etc. As you may guess, over the years I have had a few spoilers from various people or driving by a bar after a game and seeing happy/sad faces on Packer fans as they stream out. For the most part though....it has worked.

Nobody is going to zap your post !! :D

H

HardRightEdge

My strange and crazy ritual is posting on this forum entirely too much. It's my one guilty pleasure. ;)

I'm with you on the DVR. Being able to rewind plays multiple times and fast forward through commercials (and huddles as well if the announcing crew is not particularly insightful, which is most of the time). Half time from the national analyst crews is an utter waste of time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DVR is great. The networks should broadcast all games on a short delay, and add commercials as they wish. That would allow the live games to be played without the multiple breaks that ruin the flow of the game--making the "fan experience" in stadiums truly better than staying at home.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually do the same with NFL Gamepass. I start watching about 60 minutes after kickoff and I tell people the same thing about not even mentioning the game in any way. I don't care if you're joking or not about what's going on with the game.

The NFCCG last year was the worst because I couldn't watch it until about 2 hours after it was over. My ******* brother hadn't seen it either so he came over to watch it and the first thing I said as I was opening the door was, "If you know anything about the game, I don't want to hear it." So what does he do? He immediately blurts out, "I haven't seen the game but I know who won but don't worry I won't tell you." I almost kicked his *** out the door right then and there, but I didn't because he was bringing chili for supper. Well, it didn't take me long to figure out by his complete lack of excitement at any point in the game that we were going to lose.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL......yup......when you are around a person with "information" about the game, unless they are a Vegas High Stakes Poker Player will a dead eye look, nobody is good at hiding what they already know. I don't let anyone near me or my TV during a game if they have any knowledge whatsoever. My wife has learned to comply and my daughters have learned the hard way....."Don't say a "darn" thing to dad about the game or the stuff animals get it."

Glad to hear I am not the only one who watches games like this. A friend of mine who is too cheap to pay for cable, stopped coming to my house to watch "cable games". He hates pause and rewind and not being live.

Love the Packers, but I also like the extra hour I "get" by not having to watch commercials.

I

NOT funny Buggybill!

Oh yes it is :laugh:. If I can`t see the game for two days because SKY has blacked it out, I threaten anybody, including my wife with death if they tell me. At least you get a Chilli out it with your brother !

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yes it is :laugh:. If I can`t see the game for two days because SKY has blacked it out, I threaten anybody, including my wife with death if they tell me. At least you get a Chilli out it with your brother !
You need NFL Gamepass, my friend!

I

You need NFL Gamepass, my friend!

I`ve got the UK gamepass which is sadly run by Sky TV, so if Sky are showing the game, it gets blacked out on the gamepass. It sucks, but hopefully they wont do it this season because of some network agreement. I missed three live games last season because of it. I was ticked off to put it mildly.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of a data geek by nature and trade, so my ritual is that I keep some pretty detailed spreadsheets regarding Packers drafts and statistics about each season. Every week I record all kinds of data about game played, rankings of the opponents, etc. It's a bit laborious but I enjoy being able to look up info on past seasons.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
make a ton of custom gear for myself to wear during the game wnd during the week. This is what im wearing for game against Chicago at a Bears Bar..... :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`ve got the UK gamepass which is sadly run by Sky TV, so if Sky are showing the game, it gets blacked out on the gamepass. It sucks, but hopefully they wont do it this season because of some network agreement. I missed three live games last season because of it. I was ticked off to put it mildly.
Just the price you pay for living on the wrong side of the Atlantic.....:alien:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
make a ton of custom gear for myself to wear during the game wnd during the week. This is what im wearing for game against Chicago at a Bears Bar..... :)

I saw a fan wearing a t shirt once that had printed on it "The Good" "The Bad" and "The Ugly" with the Packers, Bears and Vikings logos. I have looked all over for this, but never found a seller of this item. Maybe it was custom made ?

I

I saw a fan wearing a t shirt once that had printed on it "The Good" "The Bad" and "The Ugly" with the Packers, Bears and Vikings logos. I have looked all over for this, but never found a seller of this item. Maybe it was custom made ?

Sounds like.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a guy here in Minnesota with a Vikings #12 Rodgers jersey. He's had it for a few years and it admittedly gives me a chuckle every time that I see it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Here is a case with it for your i phone :)

http://www.redbubble.com/people/sul...ckers-vikings-bears-iphone-case?p=iphone-case

Mods let me know if I can't post that here, since it might be construed as advertising a product? I don't sell them lol

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well since I am typically pretty hungover on Sundays (I just can't let go of my youth)...

First I like to take a shower and wash the last night off, grab a cup of coffee or an energy drink (varies from week to week), and get a couple asprin in my system.

Second: head to Twitter to check any early inactives, news & notes from around the early NFL games (this is mainly for fantasy purposes).

Third: By this point the asprin have started taking effect and I can power through my first cig of the day.

Fourth: Call my best friend and go over the key points to the day's Packer game and decide if we're getting together for it.

Fifth: Put finishing touches on fantasy teams for early game action, and check Twitter for any breaking news.

Lasty: Just sit down and watch the game. One thing I do during the game though is I never sit back. I am always on the edge of the couch/chair I'm sitting on leaning forward, I can never relax during a game.

Edit: Always watch the game is either QB1 or CWood jersey and a Packer hat of some sort.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicken Fried Steak, Eggs, Hash browns, Toast and Coffee for breakfast at an awesome restaurant here in south Texas littered with Packers gear wearing my Jordy Nelson shirt. The owner is a huge Packer fan and he always stops by my table to talk Packers every Sunday morning. This is a picture of the flag pole outside his restaurant.

Members online

Latest posts