Concerning Datone Jones

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really hopeful this guy would break out this season. After all, he was hampered by injuries last year (seem to recall it was ankle injury from first preseaon game). Now however I am not so sure. The guy has not made a peep in camp, except in getting in a fight.
Improving the defensive line is key to improving the defense. Without Johnny Jolly or Ryan Pickett, the guys they have need to step up, above all Datone Jones.
It is truly admirable how Ted Thompson has filled a lot of holes this offseason, including safety, center and receiver. I fear though that without improved an improved defensive line, we will simply have a high octane offense with a suspect defense. That is a recipe for a high number of regular seasons wins, only to be foiled in the post season. Right now Mike Daniels is the only guy showing anything.
Any thoughts? Any reason why one should not hit the panic button on this guy?

D

Deleted member 6794

While he didn't offer anything rushing the passer vs. the Titans I think he played the run pretty well which is encouraging IMO.

I agree Datone Jones is an integral part of the Packers plans on defense and he has to improve significantly over his rookie season to have an impact.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The reason not to panic is simply because it's so early. There'll be plenty of time to panic later if need be. ;)

This is a piece from yesterday on espn Wisconsin:
“Datone is very focused right now. But he’s not a finished product yet,” defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said. “Right now, we’re expecting him to be an every-down guy. “Datone’s working his butt off right now. [But] I’m one of those guys where, even in that regard, I’m on him and on him and on him. Because he could be even better at that. He’s not where he needs to be in that regard, but I like his resolve and focus right now.”
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=15181&is_corp=1

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what the article says that ThxJV posted, it sounds to me like the coaching staff considers Datone to be a work in progress. His potential is high, his work ethic is there, but he's lacking in experience and there are some basic moves that a DE needs to have that he doesn't---yet.

I would consider the 1st half of this season to be something equivalent to an accelerated rookie season for him. This is his first full TC (barring injury....god, don't even think it), and he hasn't yet had the game experience to develop. I would hope to see him becoming more consistent, more savvy and more of a force by mid-season. If he hasn't, that's cause for real concern.

Nick Perry on the other hand, well, my expectations for him are going down. He did not have a good game against the Titans even though he was on the field a lot. Did almost nothing according to McGinn's analysis.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts