Concern should be the 49ers

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now NO is looking more and more like the team to worry about. SF got exposed and looks to me like a team that's a year away from being serious contenders for the NFC championship. We'll see what happens on Monday night with NO against the Giants.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Records minus the teams results.

Lions: 41-31 .543
Bears: 40-32 .556
Niners: 38-34 .528
Packers: 33-39 . 458
That's all changed now. Including yesterday's game, Packers' last six games are all with teams over .500 except for KC and every one of them is still in the hunt for the playoff spot.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
yup.looks like the "concern" is now the Saints. But no matter what NFC teams are in the playoffs....they will have to make a stop in Green Bay.

Now who is the team on the AFC side? Patriots?

Could be. Or Ravens or Steelers. I think the Steelers have the edge over all of them right now though.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
49ers are one dimensional. ALL defense, no offense. Regardless how great Gore is as an RB, he is basically their only weapon. Alex Smith sacked 9 times last night, and as far as 3rd downs go, they are not a team that is going to convert 3rd down after 3rd down after 3rd down. They were running the ball on 3rd down early in the game, like the Jets do, because they know Alex Smith wasn't getting it done.

I think the Saints would beat the 49ers in the playoffs, because so far they only have one game where they couldn't convert 3rd downs. They have a sloppy defense, but that offense is built to burn the defense.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the 9ers game,last night Ravens has a very good d-line the o-line can't say Flacco did a great job for them kind of reminded of vikes Ray Rice doing all the running made a few passes,and when they were in the red zone room to run but he waited to long he could have had a first down if he wouldn't have hesitated.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, that was ONE game. I wouldn't count out the Niners yet. I still maintain that defense wins championships and last night the better defense won. But despite 9 sacks :( , it could have gone either way. The Ravens offense did nothing spectacular and again they were stopped at the 1 yard line and pushed backwards only to settle for a field goal.
Sure a dominant offense may beat us but I think our defense will keep us in the game.

Our offense certainly needs work. I totally admit that. They stunk it up last night. Our receivers are just not performing as they should. And last night, our O-line was asleep at the wheel. Though it was nice to see Alex complete a 75 yard TD pass to Ginn who RARELY catches the ball. Too bad the chop block penalty negated it. But that's how it goes.

With any luck, we'll have a good draft and acquire a good FA or two next year to bolster the offense.

I still think the Niners will see the Pack in the NFCCG. But I'm not laying any money that the Niners will win it.

GO NINERS!! / GO PACKERS!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think the Niners actually have a team that could do it all. But the adage about defense winning championships is from a by gone era of the NFL. The NFL changed a lot of the rules to favor offenses. They felt the fans wanted more high scoring games. It's not pretty but it is what is. Now the phrase defense wins championships applies more to hockey or soccer.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Niners actually have a team that could do it all. But the adage about defense winning championships is from a by gone era of the NFL. The NFL changed a lot of the rules to favor offenses. They felt the fans wanted more high scoring games. It's not pretty but it is what is. Now the phrase defense wins championships applies more to hockey or soccer.
I certainly agree with the bolded part. That is absolutely TRUE. And I appreciate you saying the Niners could do it all.

After last night's loss, I've pulled the kool-aid I.V. out of my arm and got a bit of a reality check. I think we're very good. It's a great comeback season. We'll probably make the NFCCG as I don't see any other team, except the Packers, in the NFC that's better than us. But it'll take everything going our way to get to the big dance. And I'm not convinced we're ready for that yet.

Like many of you have said already, we need a little more time until we're all that and a bag of chips. There are some pieces missing.

By the way, I said the other day that I wasn't sold on the Ravens. I totally take that back. They are one helluva football team. Despite their record, they're probably the best in the AFC. MAJOR props to their defense. Freakin' AWESOME.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Let's cut the BS. The niners are all about clock management, field position, and defense. Much like last years Falcons their offense isn't a threat. They are in no way a contender to stop the Packers. Packers can play both ways and their offense controls the tempo and they like a faster tempo. Niners would crumble and be exposed like last years Falcons.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Let's cut the BS. The niners are all about clock management, field position, and defense. Much like last years Falcons their offense isn't a threat. They are in no way a contender to stop the Packers. Packers can play both ways and their offense controls the tempo and they like a faster tempo. Niners would crumble and be exposed like last years Falcons.

Pretty much. As much as people will deny it and try to play it off, Alex Smith IS a game manager in every sense. If their team falls behind by more than 1 possession, they will have to abandon the run and put the game in his hands. Alex Smith is not capable of winning games like that. He lives off the short passes, he can't work the ball downfield, he takes too long to go through his progressions and read a defense which allows opposing pass rushers to get to him.

Defensively, the 49er's can be worn down. Ravens and their run game eventually had their way as the game wore on last night and I don't think they are capable of playing at a high level for 60 minutes. And as far as defending the pass, don't even get me started. If Joe Flacco is lighting them up, I can only imagine what Rodgers would do.

Right now NO is looking more and more like the team to worry about. SF got exposed and looks to me like a team that's a year away from being serious contenders for the NFC championship. We'll see what happens on Monday night with NO against the Giants.
Not with the way Drew Brees is turning the ball over. Ever since their superbowl win, Brees has been turning the ball over at an alarming rate trying to squeeze balls into impossibly small windows, making bad throws and throwing into coverage. I like that vs. our defensive backs.
Plus with likely HFA, I don't see New Orleans' offense being very explosive in cold weather. And their defense isn't all that great either. Saints play a lot of man coverage and we have receivers that can win those 1 on 1 match-ups.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much. As much as people will deny it and try to play it off, Alex Smith IS a game manager in every sense. If their team falls behind by more than 1 possession, they will have to abandon the run and put the game in his hands. Alex Smith is not capable of winning games like that. He lives off the short passes, he can't work the ball downfield, he takes too long to go through his progressions and read a defense which allows opposing pass rushers to get to him.
The Niners O worked well enough to come from 20 points behind and beat the Eagles. And it worked well enough to come from behind and beat Detroit.

Defensively, the 49er's can be worn down. Ravens and their run game eventually had their way as the game wore on last night and I don't think they are capable of playing at a high level for 60 minutes. And as far as defending the pass, don't even get me started. If Joe Flacco is lighting them up, I can only imagine what Rodgers would do.

Gee, I watched that entire game and don't remember Flacco lighting us up. He threw for ONE TD pass. The rest was field goals. Though I will say their O-line did a great job of protecting Flacco. And frankly, it was their defense that won the game for them. It was the best D we've faced all season. In fact it was the best I've seen in ANY game this season. That team is DANGEROUS.
Not with the way Drew Brees is turning the ball over. Ever since their superbowl win, Brees has been turning the ball over at an alarming rate trying to squeeze balls into impossibly small windows, making bad throws and throwing into coverage. I like that vs. our defensive backs.
Plus with likely HFA, I don't see New Orleans' offense being very explosive in cold weather. And their defense isn't all that great either. Saints play a lot of man coverage and we have receivers that can win those 1 on 1 match-ups.

I don't want to pick on an open wound... but that's the rub isn't it?
The Packers have the best O in the league BAR NONE. But the D is still suspect, despite leading the league in INTs.
I know Lambeau is home turf but I gotta think the extreme cold of January at Lambeau, or maybe the nastiest of wind & rain that the 'Stick can offer, could prevent the Pack's offense from being very explosive either. It's just one of the MANY things I think are needed if the Niners are even going to have half a chance at beating the Packers.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Hey guys, that was ONE game. I wouldn't count out the Niners yet. I still maintain that defense wins championships and last night the better defense won. But despite 9 sacks :( , it could have gone either way. The Ravens offense did nothing spectacular and again they were stopped at the 1 yard line and pushed backwards only to settle for a field goal.
Sure a dominant offense may beat us but I think our defense will keep us in the game.

The only problem there is the 49'ers won't be facing a Ravens offense if they play Green Bay.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
But more importantly, they won't be facing a Ravens DEFENSE.

This is actually true. The Ravens D when "on" is an animal. Even without Ray Ray. Many get down on the Ravens for losing to a few lesser teams but this team has beaten the Steelers twice, the Niners and the Bengals. They beat winning teams. Flacco actually also seems to show up as well against good teams too. I still think despite all his wtf moments that Flacco can be a good QB.

With that being said the Niners also have a great D but Smith sometimes looks like a deer caught in the headlights to me. He is capable but won't strike fear in anyone.

I think the Niners are a great team and there is nothing to be ashamed of with losing to the Ravens in Baltimore.

A lot of people love to predict **** QB matchups in the SB. I think the best matchup I can think of would be the Baltimore D vs. the Packers O. Both with two weeks to prepare and stuff. **** match up. Baltimore is also 0-2 in the Colts stadium. :)

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is actually true. The Ravens D when "on" is an animal. Even without Ray Ray. Many get down on the Ravens for losing to a few lesser teams but this team has beaten the Steelers twice, the Niners and the Bengals. They beat winning teams. Flacco actually also seems to show up as well against good teams too. I still think despite all his wtf moments that Flacco can be a good QB.

With that being said the Niners also have a great D but Smith sometimes looks like a deer caught in the headlights to me. He is capable but won't strike fear in anyone.

I think the Niners are a great team and there is nothing to be ashamed of with losing to the Ravens in Baltimore.

A lot of people love to predict **** QB matchups in the SB. I think the best matchup I can think of would be the Baltimore D vs. the Packers O. Both with two weeks to prepare and stuff. **** match up. Baltimore is also 0-2 in the Colts stadium. :)

joe flacco isn't **** :D

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Saints in Lambeau again I see less as a threat than the 49er's. Though I still don't think we will see the 49ers this year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, Joe Flaco isn't a great QB. He ranks like 23. He still put up points against a SF defense that has been touted by a certain poster as a difference maker, along with their rushing attack, the weather, etc. There is little to fear in the Niners.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Geezuz... the Niners lose one game after traveling all the way across the entire country, to a team that's undefeated at home, on a short week, and you think they're fizzling??? C'mon Man!!! :tdown:

Members online

Latest posts