Comparison of Impact of Injuries

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/20/julio...t-ryan-atlanta-falcons-decimated-by-injuries/

This story explains how injuries are basically the sole reason why the Falcons are now 2-9. It rattles off the following injuries as the reason for their fall: Julio Jones, Roddy White, S. Jax, Sam Baker (LT), Sean Witherspoon (LB, but played last night), and Kroy Biermann (DL - not sure his current status). That's six players getting hurt, with only two (maybe 3) landing on the IR. They still have Matty "Ice" and his ridiculous contract. Yet, they are 2-9.

In comparison, Packers injuries: Cobb, Jones, JMike, Bulaga, Barclay, Sherrod, and Lacy/Starks have all missed games on offense. On defense: Burnett, Hayward, Shields, Brad Jones, Francois, Clay, Perry, Neal, Mulumba, Jolly, and Datone have all missed games. Yet, with those injuries, we were a 2-loss team before Rodgers went down.

Point being, with more injuries and the star QB healthy, we not only weathered the storm, but also were considered a team that would be dangerous in the playoffs if certain players got healthy - like Clay, Perry, etc. Falcons can't even handle a minor onslaught of injuries, not including their star QB.

To me, this is a testament to TT and his approach to developing young and talented depth. Falcons' bold approach by trading so many picks for Julio and signing big name free agents has led to this: 1 playoff victory and a lost season due to a few injuries to key players.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This week should tell us if the Packers have weathered the storm or not.
A loss to the queens and wins by Detroit and da Bears probably means the storm is over but the roof has a few leaks.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BR, mostly agree with your thrust. But have we weathered the storm? That could only be proven if we still somehow manage to get into the playoffs.

btw, Sherrod? He has to actually play before he can be listed as an injury loss. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BR, mostly agree with your thrust. But have we weathered the storm? That could only be proven if we still somehow manage to get into the playoffs.

btw, Sherrod? He has to actually play before he can be listed as an injury loss. :(

My "weather the storm" comment related to how the two teams compared when they were injured, but had their star QB still. At that point, we had only 2-losses and were playing very well. Atlanta has been abysmal and they have their star QB and fewer injuries.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My "weather the storm" comment related to how the two teams compared when they were injured, but had their star QB still. At that point, we had only 2-losses and were playing very well. Atlanta has been abysmal and they have their star QB and fewer injuries.
That "weathered the storm" comment was confusing to me..and apparently yooperfan. Your amplification helps. :tup:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up.
Good article though.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how we weather the storm. Once we get Rodgers back as well as other healthy players, it's going to be a matter of digging ourselves out of a hole and also other things going right for us. Such as other teams winning and losing. If we can make that final push and find our way into the playoffs, the sky is the limit. I've said over and over a championship team is partially defined by glory but also overcoming adversity and having resiliency. This time now will either be what broke us or what we didn't break us.

H

HardRightEdge

This week should tell us if the Packers have weathered the storm or not.
A loss to the queens and wins by Detroit and da Bears probably means the storm is over but the roof has a few leaks.

A loss to the Vikes = season over.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/20/julio...t-ryan-atlanta-falcons-decimated-by-injuries/

This story explains how injuries are basically the sole reason why the Falcons are now 2-9. It rattles off the following injuries as the reason for their fall: Julio Jones, Roddy White, S. Jax, Sam Baker (LT), Sean Witherspoon (LB, but played last night), and Kroy Biermann (DL - not sure his current status). That's six players getting hurt, with only two (maybe 3) landing on the IR. They still have Matty "Ice" and his ridiculous contract. Yet, they are 2-9.

In comparison, Packers injuries: Cobb, Jones, JMike, Bulaga, Barclay, Sherrod, and Lacy/Starks have all missed games on offense. On defense: Burnett, Hayward, Shields, Brad Jones, Francois, Clay, Perry, Neal, Mulumba, Jolly, and Datone have all missed games. Yet, with those injuries, we were a 2-loss team before Rodgers went down.

Point being, with more injuries and the star QB healthy, we not only weathered the storm, but also were considered a team that would be dangerous in the playoffs if certain players got healthy - like Clay, Perry, etc. Falcons can't even handle a minor onslaught of injuries, not including their star QB.

To me, this is a testament to TT and his approach to developing young and talented depth. Falcons' bold approach by trading so many picks for Julio and signing big name free agents has led to this: 1 playoff victory and a lost season due to a few injuries to key players.

Thanks for the link.

Also, minor point, but you forgot to list EDS, Lang, and Kuhn as offensive starters who have missed games. Backup QB, too. Defense also lost a few more (e.g. Bush, Richardson, etc.), but I think you nailed all the starters.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it can be understated how important cobb is to the offense, and how much it's hurt us to have him out. He was record setting in yards last year. If he wouldn't have been injured he could have set the record for total yards in nfl history.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it can be understated how important cobb is to the offense, and how much it's hurt us to have him out. He was record setting in yards last year. If he wouldn't have been injured he could have set the record for total yards in nfl history.
Listen to Rodgers' preseason comments about Cobb - except perhaps the all-time record comment, he would agree with this.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These injuries are really pizzing me off.
These, more than the loss to SF last night, and last year, and to the Giants the year before. ARE THE REASON I am so irritated.
It's BS and beyond unfair.

The Niners have been so much healthier, even coming into this season.
I was sick of it a year ago, and on a national thread (where I encounter Ness always) I have gone back and forth with 49er fans about it.... I did at least last year and last off-season.

I figured it was "just luck", they teased me saying it's superior strength training and conditioning.

So let's look at it player by player:

Clay Matthews, broken thumb. Happened sacking Stafford, and again sacking Roethlisberger.
100% luck?

Jermichael Finley, neck, from a head to neck hit. 100% luck?

Randall Cobb, broken leg and ? knee, cheap hit, 100% luck. So much so that the evil in me WANTED to see that same luck hit the Niners Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.

Casey Hayward, hamstring!?
That's the one right there that some blame needs to go on someone. Not sure who, but it was a non-contact thing that cost a WHOLE SEASON.

Nick Perry, his foot... not sure how it happened or when. But it's kept him either hobbled or out. Two years, been hurt more than half the time.

Then yesterday:
Sam Shields, someone rolled into him, that's 100% bad luck. True, Morgan Burnett could have prevented it by making a solid tackle initially before it got to that point.

Mike Neal, another bad luck fluke play. Are we that much more brittle, or unlucky? I am beginning to wonder.

Andy Mulumba, another guy hit him in the knee....which happens all the time. I have seen 49ers OL get hit in the knee a few times this year and last (secretly hoping they go down, evil) but somehow they weather the blows.

And I am still not over Nick Collins, which was 100% bad bad luck, but also came on a play when he should not have been involved in the first place on that pass to Jonathon Stewart. Two guys whiffed on tackles first, I think AJ Hawk and Woodson.
So like Shields, if guys had made tackles like they should have, Collins might still be back there, and yesterday Shierlds wouldn't have gone down.

These injuries are what makes me angry, crabby, and evil thoughts towards the charmed-49ers.
I will root against them every game because of their opposite luck.
And they still barely beat us dang it.

H

HardRightEdge

These injuries are really pizzing me off.
These, more than the loss to SF last night, and last year, and to the Giants the year before. ARE THE REASON I am so irritated.
It's BS and beyond unfair.

The Niners have been so much healthier, even coming into this season.
I was sick of it a year ago, and on a national thread (where I encounter Ness always) I have gone back and forth with 49er fans about it.... I did at least last year and last off-season.

I figured it was "just luck", they teased me saying it's superior strength training and conditioning.

So let's look at it player by player:

Clay Matthews, broken thumb. Happened sacking Stafford, and again sacking Roethlisberger.
100% luck?

Jermichael Finley, neck, from a head to neck hit. 100% luck?

Randall Cobb, broken leg and ? knee, cheap hit, 100% luck. So much so that the evil in me WANTED to see that same luck hit the Niners Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.

Casey Hayward, hamstring!?
That's the one right there that some blame needs to go on someone. Not sure who, but it was a non-contact thing that cost a WHOLE SEASON.

Nick Perry, his foot... not sure how it happened or when. But it's kept him either hobbled or out. Two years, been hurt more than half the time.

Then yesterday:
Sam Shields, someone rolled into him, that's 100% bad luck. True, Morgan Burnett could have prevented it by making a solid tackle initially before it got to that point.

Mike Neal, another bad luck fluke play. Are we that much more brittle, or unlucky? I am beginning to wonder.

Andy Mulumba, another guy hit him in the knee....which happens all the time. I have seen 49ers OL get hit in the knee a few times this year and last (secretly hoping they go down, evil) but somehow they weather the blows.

And I am still not over Nick Collins, which was 100% bad bad luck, but also came on a play when he should not have been involved in the first place on that pass to Jonathon Stewart. Two guys whiffed on tackles first, I think AJ Hawk and Woodson.
So like Shields, if guys had made tackles like they should have, Collins might still be back there, and yesterday Shierlds wouldn't have gone down.

These injuries are what makes me angry, crabby, and evil thoughts towards the charmed-49ers.
I will root against them every game because of their opposite luck.
And they still barely beat us dang it.

You should have included Bulaga and Sherrod in that list. Better OT play would have been the difference against SF.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should have included Bulaga and Sherrod in that list. Better OT play would have been the difference against SF.
Sure could have yes.
Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks combined for 2.5 sacks and almost a dozen pressures yesterday.
They were collapsing the pocket like hell on Rodgers.
Granted, there's no better pair of OLB rushers in the NFL than those 2 guys, who magically are both fricking healthy as always.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, its time to stop crying about the injuries.

Yes it sucks, and it might not be fair but life isn't fair sometimes. Its been an on going theme for like 4 years now. It isn't just bad luck. No team can be that unlucky every year without some underlining factor. Maybe the conditioning coach needs to go, the packers are a finesse team more or less, and going against physical teams they will get hurt more, they aren't built to beat physical teams. Lacy is starting to change that, but they still need some work.

The 49ers are built to play in anything and play any style. The packers just aren't.

The packers need to look into why their players keep getting hurt. It can't just be bad luck 4 years running. It could be technique, conditioning, maybe just maybe they have brittle players. But something needs to change .

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes it sucks, and it might not be fair but life isn't fair sometimes. Its been an on going theme for like 4 years now. It isn't just bad luck. No team can be that unlucky every year without some underlining factor. Maybe the conditioning coach needs to go, the packers are a finesse team more or less, and going against physical teams they will get hurt more, they aren't built to beat physical teams. Lacy is starting to change that, but they still need some work.

The 49ers are built to play in anything and play any style. The packers just aren't.

The Packers need to look into why their players keep getting hurt. It can't just be bad luck 4 years running. It could be technique, conditioning, maybe just maybe they have brittle players. But something needs to change .

I'm not crying about them.
I am b*tching about them, and I will forever, as I still do about Sterling Sharpe's career ending early, and not Michael Irvin or Tim Brown from the same draft class.

You seem to be asking the same questions as I am, and have been......

H

HardRightEdge

The packers need to look into why their players keep getting hurt. It can't just be bad luck 4 years running. It could be technique, conditioning, maybe just maybe they have brittle players. But something needs to change .
Perhaps as a "finesse" team we've brought in too many players who are athletes pumped up into football players.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where did 13 Times Champ go, and why?

Members online

Latest posts