Commitment to running game?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Packers Coach Mike McCarthy says he wants to commit to the running game. He says he really means it. But on game days, that resolve seems to get lost in the shuffle when it comes time for McCarthy to call the plays.

Only once in 16 games last season -- against Arizona -- did McCarthy run the ball more than pass it. One other game -- against the 49ers -- he had a 50-50 split between runs and passes. The Packers won both of those games.

McCarthy likes to point out that play calls are dependent on various situations, including down, distance and whether the Packers are ahead or behind. All things being equal and given the current roster, it would appear McCarthy will lean more heavily toward the pass than the run.

Here's a game-by-game breakdown of the Packers' run-pass ratio under McCarthy:

Game 1 -- 0-26 loss to Chicago: 23 runs, 30 passes.
Game 2 -- 27-34 loss to New Orleans: 20 - 55.
Game 3 -- 31-24 win at Detroit: 27 - 36.
Game 4 -- 9-31 loss at Philadelphia: 28 - 47.
Game 5 -- 20-23 loss vs. St. Louis: 26 - 39.
Game 6 -- 34-24 win at Miami: 29 - 35.
Game 7 -- 31-14 win vs. Arizona: 39 - 25.
Game 8 -- 10-24 loss at Buffalo: 30 - 47.
Game 9 -- 23-17 win vs. Minnesota: 26 -- 42.
Game 10 -- 0-35 loss vs. New England: 16 - 27.
Game 11 -- 24-34 loss at Seattle: 20 - 36.
Game 12 -- 10-38 loss vs. New York Jets: 23 - 47.
Game 13 -- 30-19 win at San Francisco: 34 - 34.
Game 14 -- 17-9 win vs. Detroit: 32 - 37.
Game 15 -- 9-7 win vs. Minnesota: 24 - 51.
Game 16 -- 26-7 win at Chicago: 34 - 42.

Game 1 -- 16-13 win vs. Philadelphia: 17 - 46.
-- Mike Vandermause, [email protected]

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we only ran the ball more than passed in one game if I'm reading your chart right. I'd be interested to see the Colts pass to run ratio.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the West Coast offense revolve around making lots of short passes instead of primarily using the running game.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver, Jennings, and Brett Favre

or

Brandon Jackson following Korey Hall

I'd like to see some more runs sprinkled in like everyone else, but it's not like there isn't good reason for it.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a firm philosophy of mine that you need to have a solid running game to win football games. The lack of a commitment to the run is my only objection with McCarthy's play calling.

I must say I'm glad we've got Rodgers on the bench while Favre is breaking records for pass attempts in his final year(s)...

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a firm philosophy of mine that you need to have a solid running game to win football games. The lack of a commitment to the run is my only objection with McCarthy's play calling.

I must say I'm glad we've got Rodgers on the bench while Favre is breaking records for pass attempts in his final year(s)...

Want to elaborate?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well... Favre's getting old. His arm isn't getting stronger and we're asking him to pass more than he ever has.

I know Favre's an iron man, but he's not invincible. If Favre strains his arm, I'm glad we've got Rodgers on the bench.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver, Jennings, and Brett Favre

or

Brandon Jackson following Korey Hall

I'd like to see some more runs sprinkled in like everyone else, but it's not like there isn't good reason for it.

Running the ball can setup play action pass and make Driver, Jennings and Favre more effective. By not sticking to the run he is pretty much taking out several plays in the play book.

I think if the Packers can't establish a running game they should run a lot more screens. The Giants like to blitz as well so I hope we see some screen passes against them. We didn't see to many against Philly.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that if the game is close, the run game still has to be defended against\respected and playaction would still be an option.

But I agree with most of that.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we definitly need to run it more to eat more time off the clock and give the D a breather. I noticed against philly that the d got wore out and gave up some plays, mainly because the offense went 3 and out. A combination of a better offense with more runs will help the D a lot.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we definitly need to run it more to eat more time off the clock and give the D a breather. I noticed against philly that the d got wore out and gave up some plays, mainly because the offense went 3 and out. A combination of a better offense with more runs will help the D a lot.

I think what wore out our D is we couldn't make any first downs. But yeah, you're right. The D did look tired.

I'm pretty confident we'll be able to move against the Giants tomorrow morning though. That will make our D even better. Man, I can't wait until tomorrow morning. I'm not even drinking tonight so I can wake up easier.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't McCarthy say 45% was commitment to the running game in a recent interview?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You def. need a running game. Our passing won't be able to open up the running game with 3 and outs and dropped passes.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the running game is not happening, which it hasn't been for most of McCarthy's time in Green Bay, he can throw the ball 50 times a game for all I care. A three-and-out does not keep the defense off the field, even if two of the plays are handoffs.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a decent passing game and a bad running game than the other way around, because passing is how you usually get the ball into the end zone, and it's what you need to do in the two-minute drill. But of course you want to have both. With the defense looking good, it would be great to have an offense that can run the ball for first downs and eat up the clock.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
If the running game is not happening, which it hasn't been for most of McCarthy's time in Green Bay, he can throw the ball 50 times a game for all I care. A three-and-out does not keep the defense off the field, even if two of the plays are handoffs.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a decent passing game and a bad running game than the other way around, because passing is how you usually get the ball into the end zone, and it's what you need to do in the two-minute drill. But of course you want to have both. With the defense looking good, it would be great to have an offense that can run the ball for first downs and eat up the clock.

:agree:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that the interior of the Dline of the Giants will be beaten by the Packers today. My guess would be the DE's will be allowed to get upfield early in the game and we will slash the interior for a productive ground game today.

NT 96 Barry Cofield 99 Russell Davis 75 Manny Wright
DT 98 Fred Robbins 73 Jay Alford
MLB 58 Antonio Pierce (key player in the interior) 57 Chase Blackburn

So if the Wells and the two youngin's can hold this group in check, watch for a big day on the ground, ball control, some playaction and a more even distribution of plays.

Once the DE's stop charging up field and start to crash to the inside, the return of the screen play. :thumbsup:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
27 rushing attempts and what worked to our advantage this game. PLAY ACTION PASS!!

Troy Aikman explained it well. Just committing to running the ball opens up the play book.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
27 rushing attempts and what worked to our advantage this game. PLAY ACTION PASS!!

Troy Aikman explained it well. Just committing to running the ball opens up the play book.

:beer:

Agreed, things seem to be "starting" to work for us here. It was great to see !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts