Come on Folks think it through

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the beginning of the season most of us were looking at this team and wondering if we could win a game. We were looking at our line and thinking that Ted Thompson had screwed up majorly. We were looking at our running backs and saying that we were in big trouble. Who would our wide receivers be? I mean there weren't many of us who thought we had a chance. At the 8th game, we find that we have lost three games that we could have won. We've got three losses, that if we had finished games as we should have., we'd have six wins already. I don't think many of us imagined that.

The fact is that this team has grown. We don't have great talent yet, but what we have is improving and getting better. I'm not happy about Brett's play either. He simply has to make better decisions and so does McCarthy. At the same time, this is a team that is improving and if they keep improving it's a team that has a chance to make some noise as their talent level improves.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the '24-hour-rule' might be in effect here. One of the NFL players (and I can't remember who right now) said it last week.. when they lose, they spend 24 hours being upset, pissed, frustrated, whatever.. and then it's more or less behind them and they get ready for the next game.

I'm still disappointed, but nothing like the sting I felt yesterday. I'm ready to look at the positives and I really hope the Pack can get the wheels back on to beat the Vikings. That would be satisfying. Reality is, there is a tough row to *** coming up: New England, Seattle,... Chicago.. won't be easy. At least we'll get to see some serious action. ;)

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every one of those upcoming games is a test. If I were those teams I wouldn't under esttimate the Pack. What every defense says however is this, if you sit back, Brett is going to throw you one. Brett has to make better decisions because what those defenses say is true. He's going to try and put the ball somewhere he shouldn't to make a great play and they will get a pick. If Brett can fix that problem, this is a team that will continue to get better and better.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every one of those upcoming games is a test. If I were those teams I wouldn't under esttimate the Pack. What every defense says however is this, if you sit back, Brett is going to throw you one. Brett has to make better decisions because what those defenses say is true. He's going to try and put the ball somewhere he shouldn't to make a great play and they will get a pick. If Brett can fix that problem, this is a team that will continue to get better and better.

Yea Brett is our weakspot! I don't remember Brett "throwing one to them" for three straight weeks. Where were you then?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Post!

However, did any Packer Fan really think at the begining of the year that this team would actually get just one win?

One can go to a sports book in Vegas and ask to place a bet on anything. They will work out the odds for you if you will wait, and the dollar value of the bet is worth their time, they will give you odds on the bet.

When I was reading some of the doom and gloom here at the begining of the season, I do not remember a ONE win season prediction, but I saw plenty of 3 win seasons. I was working Vegas at the time and asked an odds maker what the odds would be for the Packers having a TWO or Under win season next year.

He asked me how much I wanted to bet. I told him I did not want to make the bet I was just wondering. He told me with out a bet he could not spend the time working out the odds, but he told me it would be high....

The reason was Brett Farve, the fact odds are he is going to start every game, He does not go down and he would have at least Five all pro like games just becuase of who he is and what he has done, and still capable of doing, dispite of what the Defence does.

He said to me, even though he will have at least 4 to 5 great games, he will have bad ones as well. But not to the point of TWO or LESS Wins.

This was an off the Top Of His Head answer. It was at the Sands sports book which I think is the best book in Vegas. He was not a Packer Fan. I doubt he was a fan of any team. He made the odds.

It was an interesting answer.

I swear.... If Brett was starting for the Bronco's right now throwing to Walker (3 TD's Yesterday) and had that D Behind him they would be 8-0 and the Colts would be 7-1

R.P.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I had us going 12-4. I still think we can make the playoffs.

Must be drinking the same Kool-Aid us Steeler fans are :lol: WE still think we have a shot at the playoffs too (hey - hopefully we both make it!)

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Yea Brett is our weakspot! I don't remember Brett "throwing one to them" for three straight weeks. Where were you then?

DePack, if you have listened to the Packer announcers during those 3 weeks, he "threw a lot to them". THEY just did not hold onto them.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
packedhouse01 said:

DePack, if you have listened to the Packer announcers during those 3 weeks, he "threw a lot to them". THEY just did not hold onto them.

SC,

The reason they could not hang on to a potential Brett INTERCEPTION THAT COULD HAVE BEEN IS NOT LUCK.. Perhaps they could not hang on is that the ball was coming at them at a speed many of them have not seen before.

That does not make Brett LUCKY... It makes him Very Good. It takes a great deal of time, and adjustment to catch a Brett pass. It takes perhaps a few sprained fingers, and a great deal of passes to get use to where he throws it, how he throws it, and how to hang onto that bullet.

This is why I am so impressed with young Jennings.

Every story has it's story. And every story has it's plot line. The botttom line is people keep saying that Brett should have had so many more intercetions in his career.... But the fact is most D.B's could not handle the pass, so that makes the argument silly. His passes were dropped becuase the D.B's were not as good as the recievers Brett works with becuase they knew what was coming at them.

R.P.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked the Pack to go 6-10, which was a popular prediction, and so far they are right on pace for it. I am pleased with the progress of this team overall. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to get angry when they wiz one down their leg like they did yesterday. I think that 24-hour rule is a good one. We can all get angry for 24 hours, then we can get back to thinking about the big picture again. And the big picture does not look so bad.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Good Post!

However, did any Packer Fan really think at the begining of the year that this team would actually get just one win?

One can go to a sports book in Vegas and ask to place a bet on anything. They will work out the odds for you if you will wait, and the dollar value of the bet is worth their time, they will give you odds on the bet.

When I was reading some of the doom and gloom here at the begining of the season, I do not remember a ONE win season prediction, but I saw plenty of 3 win seasons. I was working Vegas at the time and asked an odds maker what the odds would be for the Packers having a TWO or Under win season next year.

He asked me how much I wanted to bet. I told him I did not want to make the bet I was just wondering. He told me with out a bet he could not spend the time working out the odds, but he told me it would be high....

The reason was Brett Farve, the fact odds are he is going to start every game, He does not go down and he would have at least Five all pro like games just becuase of who he is and what he has done, and still capable of doing, dispite of what the Defence does.

He said to me, even though he will have at least 4 to 5 great games, he will have bad ones as well. But not to the point of TWO or LESS Wins.

This was an off the Top Of His Head answer. It was at the Sands sports book which I think is the best book in Vegas. He was not a Packer Fan. I doubt he was a fan of any team. He made the odds.

It was an interesting answer.

I swear.... If Brett was starting for the Bronco's right now throwing to Walker (3 TD's Yesterday) and had that D Behind him they would be 8-0 and the Colts would be 7-1

R.P.

Excellent Post Raider Pride,

And from what I know about the some of the boys down in Vegas creating the odd lines is they know one hella of a lot more than most of us fans do !!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I picked the Pack to go 6-10, which was a popular prediction, and so far they are right on pace for it. I am pleased with the progress of this team overall. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to get angry when they wiz one down their leg like they did yesterday. I think that 24-hour rule is a good one. We can all get angry for 24 hours, then we can get back to thinking about the big picture again. And the big picture does not look so bad.

Personally, I'd like to see us beat someone with more than one victory. How 'bout we start this week?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
DePack said:
packedhouse01 said:

SC,

The reason they could not hang on to a potential Brett INTERCEPTION THAT COULD HAVE BEEN IS NOT LUCK.. Perhaps they could not hang on is that the ball was coming at them at a speed many of them have not seen before.

That does not make Brett LUCKY... It makes him Very Good. It takes a great deal of time, and adjustment to catch a Brett pass. It takes perhaps a few sprained fingers, and a great deal of passes to get use to where he throws it, how he throws it, and how to hang onto that bullet.

This is why I am so impressed with young Jennings.

Every story has it's story. And every story has it's plot line. The botttom line is people keep saying that Brett should have had so many more intercetions in his career.... But the fact is most D.B's could not handle the pass, so that makes the argument silly. His passes were dropped becuase the D.B's were not as good as the recievers Brett works with becuase they knew what was coming at them.

R.P.

Interesting. I remember the previous three games and there were chances in each for INTs. Brett's power is what caused half of them and on a few drops, the defender just dropped it. His streak of 106 throws without an INT was more luck than skill. Brett is going to take chances, hence the DD touchdown against Miami. that's the nature of the beast. For DePack to say that INTs weren't thrown up for defenders over the last three games is misinformed. They were there, they just weren't caught.

Brett throws the ball hard and he misses high. That means there are going to be tips ready for the picking. As mentioned by other teams, the whole league is aware of this.

Back to the original topic. I thought we'd be around 8-8 at the beginning of the season. I thought our lines were going to be our weakness, not our secondary. This loss doesn't make me happy, but at least they played well. The Pack showed up and played with spirit. They ran the ball even though the Bills said we weren't going to. 3-5 isn't as good as 4-4, but I see more good than bad. This team is on the way up.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Interesting. I remember the previous three games and there were chances in each for INTs. Brett's power is what caused half of them and on a few drops, the defender just dropped it. His streak of 106 throws without an INT was more luck than skill. Brett is going to take chances, hence the DD touchdown against Miami. that's the nature of the beast. For DePack to say that INTs weren't thrown up for defenders over the last three games is misinformed. They were there, they just weren't caught."

This is such a tired argument. Every team drops potential ints. I would also say that at least half of Favre's(and other NFL QB's) int's aren't his fault. Passes go through receivers hands, receivers run wrong patterns, etc. Is this "more luck than skill" also.

You guys can bash Brett all you want. I'll be here to defend him. Next time address your comments about my post to me if you have a problem. I'm a big boy and I'll be glad to explain them to you.

Members online

Latest posts