Colt Lyerla reportedly has torn MCL, PCL

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was personally most excited about Lyerla's potential versatility when the packers brought him in this spring. His potential wide skill set if used properly would fit perfectly into the Packers no huddle offense, like it was in Oregon. I never envisioned Lyerla as a TE who stretched the field or was solely an offensive mismatch problem like Jimmy Graham. I watched a couple draft breakdown footage of him and was most excited about his potential as a blocker first (whether it be in the backfield or on the line) his blocking, especially against Arizona, was what made the Oregon offense go. He could line up in multiple locations and still be an effective blocker, sealing a lane for the RB or buying his QB more time. That's exactly what the Green Bay's no huddle needs. Then he would be used offensively on occasion (just enough to keep the defense honest), or if the defense did not account for him, then his size, athleticism, and explosiveness would really make the defense pay, whether it be running the ball, catching the ball downfield, or from the backfield. He was very versatile.

This is how I envisioned him being used in Green Bay, a fullback when lined up in the backfield or a blocking first TE when lined up on the edge. We have the playmakers offensively on the field already, Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Lacy, (hopefully) R. Rodgers or Bostick as the pass catching TE. Better yet all of these guys can hurt you with a variety of skills that really make the offense flow and work well together. They can line up in a variety of ways on the line, most can block very well for their position (PFF raved about Nelsons blocking this week in their write-up). These are two things that you had to be able to do if you wanted playing time at Oregon, no matter what position you played, and I would say it worked out pretty well for them offensively under Kelly. Lyerla could just be the 5th and final missing piece, when it comes to our skill position players, in the no huddle.

So in summation I have no problem with the Packers moving Lyerla to FB so long as they don't limit him to FB only and allow him and his skill set to play all over the field (mostly FB and in-line TE). He has a year to get back in shape, practice what the Packers expect out of him, and learn the playbook. I think it is very doable for him to play both positions next year, provided he continues to keep his head on straight.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If he really isn't in the Packer's long term plans at TE I'd say "why bother"? We've already got "tweeners" as Fullbacks in Kuhn & Taylor... unless they won't be around in '15.
Was the idea of switching him to FB Dunne's idea, Fontenot's, or someone else on the staff? I wouldn't think Dunne would make it up on his own but he didn't attribute it to anyone. Fontenot is quoted just about his blocking ability.

Anyway, when the first team was on the field vs. the Rams, Kuhn didn't play, only TEs lined up in the FB spot. We've had this discussion before: If the FB position is important wouldn't they keep a backup in case Kuhn got injured. If it's not important, then how important is Kuhn to the team aside from ST contributions? And how special are Kuhn's ST contributions? If TEs on the active roster on game day can block I'd rather have them active as Kuhn, although he knows the offense very well, isn't a dominant blocker. (BTW, I see Taylor as a "tweener" but not Kuhn, he's "just" a FB IMO.)

I don't mean to hijack this thread on Lyerla but I wouldn't be disappointed if he got IR'd, came back next season and made the roster. Even if they call him a FB, with his size he would obviously be able to line up at TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyway, when the first team was on the field vs. the Rams, Kuhn didn't play, only TEs lined up in the FB spot. We've had this discussion before: If the FB position is important wouldn't they keep a backup in case Kuhn got injured. If it's not important, then how important is Kuhn to the team aside from ST contributions? And how special are Kuhn's ST contributions? If TEs on the active roster on game day can block I'd rather have them active as Kuhn, although he knows the offense very well, isn't a dominant blocker. (BTW, I see Taylor as a "tweener" but not Kuhn, he's "just" a FB IMO.)

With the Packers trying to speed up their game using three down backs and hopefully having capable blockers at TE Kuhn will have a hard time getting snaps on offense. If the team decides that some other guys can pick up his special teams contribution it´s possible he won´t make the team.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is that John Kuhn is not really a true fullback but a sort of jack of all trades. Regardless I will be keeping an eye on this young man.
I also marvel at how gogooders gripe about a stupid tweet he composed, but turn a blind eye to folks who have actually broke the law or hurt someone.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Great news that we retain his rights and he is still on our roster, although not eligible to
Play this year.

Looking forward to his and Abbrederis' return in 2015.

Gotta agree, don't like saying it but 2015 season has the positives of these two players hopefully being developed. Figure if these two receivers can improve themselves studying and physically, I think they could really help the team.

Also really like the idea of Lyerca becoming a FB/TE hybrid.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that Lyerla cleared waivers says a lot about what the NFL thinks about him.
It is very rare for players to be claimed off waivers when injured. Teams shyed away from Lyerla because of the controversy not because of his talent or potential.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, it is very rare, especially when they go undrafted, are cocaine users, are complete boneheads, quit on their team in college, fight with their coaches in college, do almost nothing in the offseason, and try to hurdle people in practice.
It is rare no matter what the circumstances.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of college playmakers who have great combine workouts who do nothing in the nfl, and it sure looked like Lyerla was going to be one of those this year. Maybe if he keeps his nose clean (but not sparkly white) in the offseason and comes back ready to play, his athleticism will matter. People shouldn't make such a fuss over a guy though just because some "draft experts" said he was a "first round talent". How he preforms in camp is a lot more important than what those clowns say.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of college playmakers who have great combine workouts who do nothing in the nfl, and it sure looked like Lyerla was going to be one of those this year. Maybe if he keeps his nose clean (but not sparkly white) in the offseason and comes back ready to play, his athleticism will matter. People shouldn't make such a fuss over a guy though just because some "draft experts" said he was a "first round talent". How he preforms in camp is a lot more important than what those clowns say.

The reports of him in camp werent that positive from what I read

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reports of him in camp werent that positive from what I read

This is the part I don't get. It's one thing to keep a guy like that if he was blowing up in practice, but it's quite another if he was the 3rd or 4th best te on the roster in practice.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the part I don't get. It's one thing to keep a guy like that if he was blowing up in practice, but it's quite another if he was the 3rd or 4th best te on the roster in practice.

Remember he had not played in what was basically a year and a half, had not practiced for a good number of months as well. If he didn't have a slow start I was going to be surprised. It also sounded like he was starting to pick it up a bit after the first couple weeks of camp, when the awful reviews of his camp performances came out. Also from what i read and heard catching was looking poor but blocking wasn't looking half bad (hence the move to FB, read my original post in this thread).

He is taking time off again but at least this time he can use the facilities the team has and review the team playbook. He will also have a full offseason to work on what the coaching staff would like him to do (sounds like blocking.) If his preseason performance is again next year very poor i doubt he will make it past the first round of cuts.

The harm of this move is rather low, but if Colt can find his footing again the reward would be great. Well worth IRing him and bringing him back next year. Despite his performance the preseason. I said it awhile back Colts injury coming when it did (I don't wish injury upon anyone) was probably the best thing to happen for both Lyerla and the Packers.

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like they've got a good plan to keep him involved and developing for next year. I am very excited, this injury may be a blessing in disguise for him, now he can focus on development and learning and be in prime position to make an impact next year, especially with a PCL/MCL injury rather than an ACL, he should make a full recovery and be in great shape for next off-season.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember he had not played in what was basically a year and a half, had not practiced for a good number of months as well. If he didn't have a slow start I was going to be surprised. It also sounded like he was starting to pick it up a bit after the first couple weeks of camp, when the awful reviews of his camp performances came out. Also from what i read and heard catching was looking poor but blocking wasn't looking half bad (hence the move to FB, read my original post in this thread).

He is taking time off again but at least this time he can use the facilities the team has and review the team playbook. He will also have a full offseason to work on what the coaching staff would like him to do (sounds like blocking.) If his preseason performance is again next year very poor i doubt he will make it past the first round of cuts.

The harm of this move is rather low, but if Colt can find his footing again the reward would be great. Well worth IRing him and bringing him back next year. Despite his performance the preseason. I said it awhile back Colts injury coming when it did (I don't wish injury upon anyone) was probably the best thing to happen for both Lyerla and the Packers.

fair points, but if he wasn't willing to put in the work when he wasn't playing and was healthy, i'd worry about him putting the work into rehabbing. I do agree the risk is low baring off the field issues.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have kept him but that's me. Maybe someone with a voice around there is high on him. Who knows... I agree, the packers aren't risking anything by putting him on the ir

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers waive Lyerla after reaching injury settlement with him, could bring him back in week 15.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I read quite a few articles on this guy today. What a mess.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Very sad for him and too bad for the Packers. It was a low risk, potentially high reward signing and that's why I favored giving him a chance. The injury settlement cost the Packers about $143K.

Members online

Latest posts