Colt Lyerla reportedly has torn MCL, PCL

OP
OP
cara murphy

cara murphy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team gets injured again and again. Didn't have the bright idea that you need to change something? May be the condition training or practices or making the team self aware of the bodies?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team gets injured again and again. Didn't have the bright idea that you need to change something? May be the condition training or practices or making the team self aware of the bodies?

dude wasnt going to make the team to begin with

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the coaches don't actually teach the players to attempt to hurdle defenders, exposing their knee(s) to potential damage... in a NON-tackling practice! Lyerla was trying to make a "splash" play in front of 68,000 fans and hurt himself in the process... not related to training, lifting or stretching ~ stupid rookie move.

IR him, let him hang around an NFL team for a year and see if he can keep himself clean until next TC... IMHO the best situation for him AND the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

This was the play?

hurdling 3 feet in the air is always practiced and trained on how not to get hurt

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
IR him, let him hang around an NFL team for a year and see if he can keep himself clean until next TC... IMHO the best situation for him AND the Packers.

Yep. Allows the Packers to see if he can keep out of trouble before investing too much in him. If he stays clean until TC next year, I'll be in his corner.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Allows the Packers to see if he can keep out of trouble before investing too much in him. If he stays clean until TC next year, I'll be in his corner.

Honestly what would probably be better, though a little risky, would be to waive him injured and then try to get him on the practice squad.

Why is it risky: When a player is waived-inured, the team has to negotiate a settlement with the player. Typically, it's X-weeks of salary, had the player made the roster. The actual risk, as far as my understanding, is that NO ONE can sign him until X-weeks later after release, but the releasing team can't sign him for 2X-weeks.

Why is it better: Once the player is on IR, he's done. He can no longer practice for the rest of the season.

As CL is about 6 weeks away from returning, cut him in the last cuts to 53, pay him a 2-week settlement, and be prepared to bring him back to the practice squad in week 4 of the regular season. That should sneak him past other teams wanting to stash him on their PS and give the Packers the best chance of getting him.

That is of course, assuming the packers still want to keep him.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude wasnt going to make the team to begin with
I am not convinced that he did not have a great chance of making the team.
The Packers need to do whatever they can do to retain this guy He has first round level talent, and I believe will make a premiere tight end if he can keep his head on straight. Think above Mark Chumra and certainly above the overrated and mouthy Finley.
Not sure about the ins and outs of injured reserved versus putting him on PUP list. Don't just release the guy--he'll get picked up by someone.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need to do whatever they can do to retain this guy He has first round level talent, and I believe will make a premiere tight end if he can keep his head on straight. Think above Mark Chumra and certainly above the overrated and mouthy Finley.
Not sure about the ins and outs of injured reserved versus putting him on PUP list. Don't just release the guy--he'll get picked up by someone.

The Packers can't put Lyerla on the reserve PUP list as he practiced during camp.

I would like the team to hold on to him as well, but Thompson has to decide if he wants to deal with the ramifications of placing him on IR.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the ramifications? He can't practice with the team at all even when he is healthy and he costs 300K. Anything other than that?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What makes you think he was a 1st round talent? this should be good

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you think he was a 1st round talent? this should be good
Only that every single pundit has said he would be a first round level pick if he had not quit Oregon the way he did.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only that every single pundit has said he would be a first round level pick if he had not quit Oregon the way he did.

Yet he still had to come in for a try out before even being offered an undrafted fa contract...

Which year of his impressed you the most? the year he caught 2 passes, 7 passes, or 25 passes?

Complete hype that a bunch of fans bought into. Did you read the reports from training camp? He didnt show he belonged.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet he still had to come in for a try out before even being offered an undrafted fa contract...

Which year of his impressed you the most? the year he caught 2 passes, 7 passes, or 25 passes?

Complete hype that a bunch of fans bought into. Did you read the reports from training camp? He didnt show he belonged.
Of course he had to come in for a tryout, he had been out of football for almost a year. I know what I have hread about this guy and no I will not dig up stuff to bolster the obvious proposition. You can believe what you want. Know this: if he does make the team, barring major injury, he will be a monster. Hear me now and believe me later.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are the ramifications? He can't practice with the team at all even when he is healthy and he costs 300K. Anything other than that?

Well, the cap number this move would result in is more or less neglectable (although with Abbrederis and Barclay headed for IR the Packers already will have to spend an additional $1 million of cap space on replacement guys) but I wouldn't feel comfortable about paying Lyerla $300K (with him having a lot of time off, especially after making a full recovery in several weeks and then not being allowed to participate in on-field activities) and him not being able to practice won't help his development.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Note: The article says Lyerla has injuries to the MCL and PCL--"the medial collateral and posterior collateral ligaments". PCL stands for posterior cruciate ligament. There's no such thing as a posterior collateral ligament.

He'd probably be ready to play within 6 wks of the injury, assuming the ligaments are grade 1 or 2 injuries. It looks like Rogers may be the next TE, so I would imagine the Packers will let him go with a small injury settlement.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... and now he's been waived - injured. If/when he clears waivers they can IR him if they wish to continue developing him. This article is a little dis-heartening, as they talk about a possible position change to FB. If he really isn't in the Packer's long term plans at TE I'd say "why bother"? We've already got "tweeners" as Fullbacks in Kuhn & Taylor... unless they won't be around in '15.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/271943181.html

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... and now he's been waived - injured. If/when he clears waivers they can IR him if they wish to continue developing him. This article is a little dis-heartening, as they talk about a possible position change to FB. If he really isn't in the Packer's long term plans at TE I'd say "why bother"? We've already got "tweeners" as Fullbacks in Kuhn & Taylor... unless they won't be around in '15.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/271943181.html
Could you excerpt the money quote about him as a fullback? I still believe he will be a playmaker as TE if he is allowed to develop his full potential.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could you excerpt the money quote about him as a fullback? I still believe he will be a playmaker as TE if he is allowed to develop his full potential.
"Whenever he does return, the Packers might experiment with the 6-foot-4, 247-pound Lyerla at fullback."

That this has even been brought up makes me think that the Packers don't envision him "in the mix" at TE, even in '15. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Whenever he does return, the Packers might experiment with the 6-foot-4, 247-pound Lyerla at fullback."

That this has even been brought up makes me think that the Packers don't envision him "in the mix" at TE, even in '15. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

The word "might" waters down the statement quite a bit. I will believe it when I see it. In any case, it is at least a year away.

Members online

Latest posts