Collins next to hold out????

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Collins next to hold out.

Well, according to the Milw JS there is chance Collins is home with his wife as they wait for their 3rd child to be born...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He deserves a lot more than what he earns. If Williams cry about his salary, I get angry. But Collins is underpaid.
It's business. It would be a lot better if all guys would just play and at the end of their contracts, get something better, but it's not the end of the world when a guy that has been one of our best defensive player and is paid like one of the worst wants a raise...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I got caught up in this as well until someone showed me this

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/41564302.html

According to a source familiar with the situation, Collins is home in Florida with his wife, waiting for the birth of their third child. The club is aware why he is not there. Collins is expected to report for the off-season conditioning workouts after his child is born.

However, Collins and his agent have been frustrated by a lack of interest on the Packers' part to negotiate a contract extension and it's possible Collins will take his time before reporting to the workouts.

During the team's Fan Fest last week, Collins said he intended to take part in the off-season conditioning program so that he could begin learning the 3-4 system.

Reaction score
i think a nice 2 year contract would be good because if he is one of those players that play good for one year so they get a good contract and then just sit there. i dont think he will be that type of player but just to be safe

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW, do you guys ever wonder if like TT wakes up in the mornin steps outside his patio and says, "How bad can I **** up the Packers today!!!!" WE NEED NICK COLLINS!!! I cant stress that enough, I thought this was some of the reason we held out on FAs this year was to get these boys SIGNED!!!

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-
The kids not due until April 25th. That's almost five weeks from now. Unless his wife is having some issues, this is just another player playing the 'contract game'.

You need to examine the logic in waiting on signing Collins immediately. -From MJS:

The Packers are probably holding off on extending Collins for two reasons: Safety is a critical position in the 3-4 defense and they want to see if he's capable of being the guy who sets coverages before the snap of the ball, and it would be cheaper to franchise a safety than just about any other player if they can't get a deal done to their safisfication.

The franchise number this year for a wide receiver (Jennings) is $9.8 million. For a linebacker (Aaron Kampman) it's $8.3 million. For a safety, it's $6.34 million.

So it would be much easier for the Packers to wait on Collins, and if it can't get a deal done, put the franchise tag on him. If he makes the Pro Bowl for a second straight year, the franchise tag would probably prevent the Packers from having to pay him a hugh contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forget he got a 3 MILLION increase due to the escalator clauses in his contract

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is probably feeling threatened by the Anthony Smith signing. This is Collins' way of returning the favor for not being informed/consulted about player acquisitions AGAIN. Sigh. I'm tired of being right all the time.

Sarcasm aside I don't think this is a big issue. Charles Woodson, Aaron Rouse & even Bigby wouldn't have any trouble stepping into a leadership role in the new 3-4. It's new for all of them isnt' it? No one knows who's going to be the one to take to new scheme like a fish to water so let Collins hold out & fall behind the rest of the guys who truly wish to get on board.

Members online

Latest posts