Collins may not be safe at safety

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....Rouse seemingly would be the one to challenge Collins. The third-round pick (No. 89 overall) in 2007 had a pair of interceptions during his three-game starting stint and didn't give up a touchdown or commit a penalty. Rouse didn't seem concerned that he hasn't had much of an opportunity to work with the starters this offseason.

"I tend not to worry about that," Rouse said. "I just know when I get in there, I have a job to do, and I have to make sure I do things right, and that I'm seen out there. I'm here to compete. I'm not here to take up a second-string job or look good on a roster."

Rock Gullickson, the Packers' strength and conditioning coordinator, said Rouse has made significant gains in the weight room this offseason. An athletic, physical defender, added strength should help Rouse.

"Aaron Rouse is having an excellent offseason," McCarthy said. "I'll tell you, he is very instinctive. He is getting his hands on the ball. You can see the comfort level of Aaron as a second-year player. It's kind of been the pattern around here for our young players, and I like that. It tells that the players are taking advantage of the program and the teaching. He is coming on. He is going to be someone that has a chance to maybe have an impact this year.

Full Article

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome.

I'm not hearing much about guys coming in out of shape(linemen, I'm looking at you). This is good news. These guys are really ready to rock n roll.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im disappointed Rock didnt use his "Ghee Whiz!" catchphrase like he did when talking about Allen Babre. :D

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Think of the flexibility of a defense that would have three safeties that are assignment sure ready to be a front line player in this league.. with the number of different sets with more than 3 wides on the field.. think of the possibilities in the dime sets..

Visions of Rouse sitting at the LOS, standing 6'4" tall, playing games with the QB with 2 safeties sitting in the quarter deep coverage.. will he come or will he drop only the defense knows.. young TJ would be shating his drawers..

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article's title is a little misleading. It makes it sound as if Collins is on the verge of being replaced, but that's not what the story tells. If anything, it sounds like he still the top candidate - at least for this year.

I think we'll see Collins and Rouse on the field in obvious passing situations, and Collins and Bigby in run packages.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think of the flexibility of a defense that would have three safeties that are assignment sure ready to be a front line player in this league.. with the number of different sets with more than 3 wides on the field.. think of the possibilities in the dime sets..

Visions of Rouse sitting at the LOS, standing 6'4" tall, playing games with the QB with 2 safeties sitting in the quarter deep coverage.. will he come or will he drop only the defense knows.. young TJ would be shating his drawers..

i think i just shat in my drawers

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins said:
"This is the year I've got to step my game up and put everything on the line. I think I'm capable of doing it, but I've just got to keep working at it. Me and the rest of the guys have been studying it hard and trying to correct all of our mistakes from last year, so this is going to be a great year for me."

Having only one pick in 3 years of playing in the league, he better correct his mistakes. I still like him, and with Rock saying "Nick Collins is as talented of a player that we have in our back end on the defensive perimeter." that tells you a whole lot about the level of potential that he possesses. I really hope that he keeps the job. Cause that would mean he does better than Rouse, and Rouse is exciting.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love having this problem, because as much as I've fallen OUT of love with Collins, he's still pretty good, and having Collins, Rouse, and Bigby fighting for 2 spots(mostly Collins vs. Rouse) is just great.

This team has come a long way since 4-12. Superbowl, baby!

(I'm not drunk, just really really tired. Gnight, all)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR QB's the offense

AR QB's the defense

i like that symmetry.

And even better, their first names are Aaron.

In Collins' defense, we need him. Depth is of utmost importance when the season is in its final weeks and when (notice I didn't say if) we're in the Playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts