Collins can hit!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one minor silver lining from tonite...Collins continued to show his ability to bring some heat. Broke up a Heap catch w/ a big hit, blew up Mason on a long completion along the sidelines...I really like his attitude!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd settle for him making a tackle, never mind making a big hit. How many times this season has he missed guys in the backfield when he had a chance to make a play?

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet he had to be close in leading the team in tackles tonight. Always good when your safety possibly leads the team in tackles

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChuckSTG said:
I bet he had to be close in leading the team in tackles tonight. Always good when your safety possibly leads the team in tackles

Collins had 11 tackles and 1 assist.

The next closest was Roman with 6 tackles and 2 assists.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20051219_GB@BAL

I think it's a bad sign when the safety leads in tackles. It should be the linebackers. When the secondary leads with tackles that means the opposing team is getting too much penetration.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're right TO...I can recall some key 3rd down plays where it looked like he was going for the gold on a hit, thus was easily faked on a move by the wr, and allowed the first down pretty easily.

However, I still like his attitude...he's still young and raw, but he's something this defense has needed.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry musccy but I was talking about Barnett not Collins. Collins is a rookie and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Barnett missing guys when he has a chance to stop them short of a first down on 3rd down is really getting tiring.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh whoops, sorry TO, but I agree about Barnett...my patience with him wore out towards the end of his rookie season.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Collins can miss too.

Barnett got blown out on a few. He is just not big enough at times to be MLB.

Actually it has nothing to do with Barnett's size, it's his technique. He's been hitting the right hole and getting to the runner in the backfield. Instead of putting his head in front of the runner to tackle, he puts it on the wrong side making it easy to get brushed aside. Other times he has the chance to blow through a receiver, instead he goes up too high and ends up hugging the player until he falls forward for a couple extra yards.

Barnett has the physical size and speed to be a star for this defensive scheme. He needs some work on basic tackling technique and he should be watching Collins.

Let's hope that Bates stays on as the DC for another year so Barnett doesn't have to learn a 4th defensive scheme in his 4th year.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins got absolutely destroyed by Lewis coming up to make a play on the direct snap to the receiver that went for a TD. He got de-cleated. I also saw him hit Lewis squarely in the hole at the line; play went for 8 or 10 yds. Saw him pick up Heap on the 1st TD I think, but he stopped running for an instant when he turned and Heap got a yard past him and scored.

I love the guy, but he does make some mistakes and miss some tackles occasionally. Clearly one of GB's best defenders.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Barnett leads the team in tackles IIRC.

I'm not terribly impressed by that stat given that they all seem to be 8 yards downfield and given that he seems to come up with air every time he has a chance to stop a guy for a loss.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually, he leads the NFC in tackles. I see a lot of Miami games down here, and Zack has always been similar (lots of tackles 2 to 5 yds from line). I think some of that is by Bates' design. But Zack doesn't miss many, and I do see Barnett get swallowed up by lineman too often.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to add to what TO said about tackles...didn't Hardly Nickerson have something like 200 tackles the year b4 the pack picked him up? That stat can be very deceptive

Members online

Latest posts