Collins and Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire team played badly today, but if anyone can be singled out it would be our safeties, Collins and Manuel. They have been horrible all year long, and the Patriots were smart enough to go right at them in this game, throwing deep passes down the middle early and often. That's what got things rolling for them.

I'm still holding out hope that Collins may turn out to be a decent player (the light didn't come on for Darren Sharper until his third season), but Manuel is an obvious liability. It's too bad that there is nobody on the roster who can threaten to take away these guys' jobs, no matter how badly they play. As far as I'm concerned, it's now official: Safety is our #1 need in the off-season, either through free agency or the draft.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also say I'd be lot harder on Manuel then Collins. I think Collins has shown that he has the tools to be a solid safety. Might also help if he had a better secondary coach.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also.. wasn't this the third week in a row that Al Harris got beat for a long touchdown? He got caught looking into the backfield pretty bad.

On the other hand, I didn't hear Charles Woodson's name called all day, which is a good thing.. right?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that this game convinces those who are lobbying for a RB as our first pick next year that Safeties and CBs are most needed. They are sure to give up at least 2 TDs a game.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that this game convinces those who are lobbying for a RB as our first pick next year that Safeties and CBs are most needed. They are sure to give up at least 2 TDs a game.

I agree with you Grandpa!

It is a great deal easier to find a gem in the rough R.B. in the draft in the later rounds... Than it is a solid Safety.

Leon Hall CB- Michigan- That would be sweet.

LaRon Landry- Safety LSU- I like him too!

Michael Griffin- Safey Texas- Might just be better than the above?

I am looking forward to the draft.

R.P.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins had a decent game. He's receiving some unfair criticism but Collins should be brought back next year. He's a 2nd year player who has shown good things and bad things. Next year should be his breakout year.

For sure though I think we need to add competition in camp. Don't give them the job by default. Make them work. I actually think Underwood is better than most think and would be starting right now had he not got hurt. All in all though we should bring some guys in.

Reaction score
Also.. wasn't this the third week in a row that Al Harris got beat for a long touchdown? He got caught looking into the backfield pretty bad.

On the other hand, I didn't hear Charles Woodson's name called all day, which is a good thing.. right?

Subin, it was actually Manuel who came down to cover Caldwell, who made a move and Manuel got spun around in a 360 without a clue as to what was going on.

Woodson not standing out was good, he kept his man in check and didn't commit penalties.

Actaully, I was impressed by Collins today. He has been missing tackles, but today he made the ones he could. He showed burst and a willingness to throw his body around. In fact he showed great awareness a couple of times: (1) Covering a WR but then realizing the pass was going to a TE, he showed quickness in closing the gap and getting to the TE barely after he caught the ball for a 2 yard gain. (2) He had enough awareness to strech out and get Maroony by his foot after he put a move on Collins.

It's by no means probowl material, but after weeks of watching Collins struggling, it was a much needed step in the right direction.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also gotta give Collins props for stopping Maroney in the hole. I think one of his assets is he'll also become one of the better safetys in supporting the runD

Reaction score
Yup Cdn, that was a solid tackle. This game was by no means his coming out party, but I'll gladly take a game of relatively mistake free football from this rookie.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you guys are right about Collins. He did make a few plays today. But there are still an awful lot of plays that he does not make, especially downfield. He rarely breaks up a pass, and I'm not sure if he's ever intercepted a pass in his career. Isn't about time he gets and interception? Just once?

Getting back to the safeties in general, I've noticed that in the past two games a linebacker has forced a fumble downfield, but there was no Packer player around to pick up the ball. If we had safeties who were anywhere near the play, they could've recovered those fumbles.

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway...the D today was inexistent...I hope Collins get better with time, but the games I saw this year didnt show me improvement...

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I hope you guys are right about Collins. He did make a few plays today. But there are still an awful lot of plays that he does not make, especially downfield. He rarely breaks up a pass, and I'm not sure if he's ever intercepted a pass in his career. Isn't about time he gets and interception? Just once?

Getting back to the safeties in general, I've noticed that in the past two games a linebacker has forced a fumble downfield, but there was no Packer player around to pick up the ball. If we had safeties who were anywhere near the play, they could've recovered those fumbles.

He has 1 INT and 13 Pass Def in his career.

He's not the problem. Manuel is the problem

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is a hard hitting safety...something we havent had in a while (sir butler). he has good speed good awareness and likes to knock helmets loose, but struggles in coverage and support. he is very young and with adjustments made during the off season..i think he could very well be someone to look forward to.

As for Manuel...lets start looking for safeties who become URA after this seasons end. If we cant find any...the draft would be a good place to find one.

As for the running game...Ahman Green might be back to form...but i think this team needs someone who can make people miss and has good vision and instinct in the backfield, i dont think Green is going to get any better than he already is (Green was my favorite player...but he looks past his prime)

As for our new QB situation, i think Brett should play next week if he is able to, but if he plays like he did today...A-Rod should get a chance.

As for Nick Barnett...this guy might be fast and hard hitting, but he sure does make alot of mistakes for all the after-tackle-celebrations he does. i think he is full of himself but we need him for now

And last of all...KGB - I dont see any reason we should keep this guy in the team, he's taking up alot of salary cap space and isnt worth what he is being payed, doesnt make many plays (though they say he gets blocked out) so does dwight freeney, javon kearse, julius peppers, and every other pro bowl DE, and these guys still make big impacts.

Like i said when i first came into this forum...this is a year of improvement, not playoff expectations.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Marvel Underwood has the potential to breakout next year and start at SS ahead of Manuel. I'm sure someone will be brought in but Underwood was having a good camp before the injury and was praised in mini camps around here. I think he could be next years Poppinga. Starts for us and improves week in and week out.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The entire team played badly today, but if anyone can be singled out it would be our safeties, Collins and Manuel. They have been horrible all year long, and the Patriots were smart enough to go right at them in this game, throwing deep passes down the middle early and often. That's what got things rolling for them.

I'm still holding out hope that Collins may turn out to be a decent player (the light didn't come on for Darren Sharper until his third season), but Manuel is an obvious liability. It's too bad that there is nobody on the roster who can threaten to take away these guys' jobs, no matter how badly they play. As far as I'm concerned, it's now official: Safety is our #1 need in the off-season, either through free agency or the draft.

They certainly did go straight to the center of the field early. Manuel has just been plain bad. It doesn't help that Brady was barely pressured all afternoon.

On the long TD pass Manuel was one on one and it ended up none on one after the receiver made a move right and then angled left. Manuel was just left in the dust. Horrible.

The guy has no coverage skills what so ever. It's amazing how TT can make several great moves but one bad one ends up biting us in the butt. That's what happens when your up against playoff teams. They WILL find the weakest points and attack them. It's a shame Underwood got hurt. I believe he would be the starter by now.

I don't want to totally pick on the defense. The offense was just as bad. Five first downs. Brett couldn't hit the broad side of a barn out there. The "D" is going to get killed when they're out there all day.

Just a bad game all around.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
woodson could play safety if the coaches want to put blackmon or dendy at cornerback. what would you rather have two good corners and two bad safeties or one good corner and one good safety and one bad corner and one bad safety??? manuel should be a back up at best (what he was in seattle)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
woodson could play safety if the coaches want to put blackmon or dendy at cornerback. what would you rather have two good corners and two bad safeties or one good corner and one good safety and one bad corner and one bad safety??? manuel should be a back up at best (what he was in seattle)

Harris/Blackmon
Collins/Woodson
Manuel as Nickel rotatting with Poppinga
Hawk and Barnett

I'd be cool with that for a few games. I think Woodson's speed would help cover up any mistake by Blackmon if he makes any.

Have we seen Blackmon cover a top 2 WR yet? I don't recall it.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris/Blackmon
Collins/Woodson
Manuel as Nickel rotatting with Poppinga
Hawk and Barnett

I'd be cool with that for a few games. I think Woodson's speed would help cover up any mistake by Blackmon if he makes any.

Have we seen Blackmon cover a top 2 WR yet? I don't recall it.

Blackmon doesn't have to prove himself. His name is Will Blackmon for God's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts