Colledge to take Cliftons job in future

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
source

According to a person close to the situation, the Packers would like to squeeze one or two more seasons out of Chad Clifton, and then turn his position over to Daryn Colledge. “That’s the current plan,” said the source.

“The coaches see Colledge as a natural left tackle, and they are hopeful that [rookie] Allen Barbre will eventually be able to step in at guard.” And don’t expect the plan to change even if Colledge develops into a stud on the inside.

“[GM] Ted Thompson drafted him to replace Clifton and nothing has changed his mind. In fact, the feeling that Colledge can be a quality left tackle is higher now than it was a year ago.”

As for Barbre, the fourth-round pick from tiny Missouri Southern State has looked pretty good in the early going. “The kid is obviously very raw, but he’s a unique athlete who doesn’t seem to be in awe of his surroundings,” said a former scout.

“I project him as either a guard or a right tackle at this level. I don’t think he has the lateral quickness to play left tackle.” And that’s another reason why Colledge is the heir apparent to Clifton. He does have the lateral quickness to take on the game’s best speed rushers. He just needs the experience.

“Jason Taylor made him look bad last season, but Colledge was put in an almost impossible position. Give him an entire offseason to work at left tackle, and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t pretty good.” It appears as if we’ll all find out for sure in the near future.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What pleases me most about this topic is that TT is always looking to and planning for the future. THAT'S where success lies. It also shows how committed he is to the ZBS, in spite of questionable results last year. Most GMs would be looking to the draft for LTs in this system. Guys like Spitz and Wells, while getting better, can not relax in their positions because they must know that TT will always be looking to replace them if possible. Talk about incentive!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What pleases me most about this topic is that TT is always looking to and planning for the future. THAT'S where success lies. It also shows how committed he is to the ZBS, in spite of questionable results last year. Most GMs would be looking to the draft for LTs in this system. Guys like Spitz and Wells, while getting better, can not relax in their positions because they must know that TT will always be looking to replace them if possible. Talk about incentive!
I agree! Nothing works better at motivation then the feeling that you are replaceable at any moment. You can't become complacent with that hanging over your head!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this coming a while back. Anyone could really. All you had to do was listen to what people thought about Colledge and they all agreed that he looks more like a tackle than guard. Though I have hunch this is Clifton's last year. He's really slowing down and I don't believe he's catching on to the zone blocking scheme.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can pencil Colledge in at LT all we want, but it's not until he proves he can play it that we'll see if he can actually be a legitimate starting caliber NFL LT.

There are many people who have tried to play that position, and realistically there are probable only around 20 who are currently playing it at a high level, only a handful at a very high level.

We shall see if Colledge can be one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts