Colledge demoted

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had veteran options...obviously...if all you want is a body and a pulse. All the guys you mentioned are low tier journeymen with limitations that were sufficient as to not warrant interest. If I had to choose, I would rather start a promising rookie than a maxxed out vet of little pedigree.

Something to consider...we are going to run a lot of TE sets this year, and probably a lot of 2 TE sets. We did not see this in the first game at all. I wonder if throughout the pre-season the Packers show very limited TE play with the knowledge that the TEs will in fact help protect the QB and open things up in the running game.

Thoughts??

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs said,
They had veteran options...obviously...if all you want is a body and a pulse. All the guys you mentioned are low tier journeymen with limitations that were sufficient as to not warrant interest. If I had to choose, I would rather start a promising rookie than a maxxed out vet of little pedigree

Digs, with all due respect, that is crazy!

You're saying that all of these options that Pudge just stated are all over the hill, blown out, useless players? And that you would rather go with ROOKIES!

I'm sorry, but that's just crazy. And you will see just how crazy it is once the season starts and all hell breaks loose on the O-Line!

Offensive line is one of the few positions in the NFL where players can play and be productive into their mid and even their upper 30's even.

I know you're a TT man, but this is a stretch even for you.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I am saying is that I would rather invest in young and talented players than marginal vets. Just the way I approach building a team. Ideally, we would already have the replacements on the roster, but the previous 6 years took a heavy toll on this team from a depth standpoint.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pudge said:
The idea that the Packers had no veteran options to sign this past off-season is ludicrous. Sure, only Hutchinson was the big name. But that's not what you need for this blocking scheme.

If the Packers management was prudent they would have signed some low-key veterans to keep the starting spots warm until the young guys were ready. But it's not very smart to go into a season with the intention of starting 2 rookie O-linemen.

Few rookie OLs have performed well in their first years. And the few that have had usually done so on a veteran offensive line that has several years of experience and have a certain pedigree. Particularly for guards, you need a steady rock at the center position.

The Packers don't have that, and starting 2 rookies besides Scott Wells is a recipe for disaster.

I'm going to name some names of veterans that were available that have experience in zone-blocking schemes. Sure, most of them are barely recognizable, but all present better options than a pair of rookie guards, one of whom has never played guard before in his life:

Trey Teague - starter in Denver and Buffalo at C and LT. Can play all 5 OL positions. Knows the blocking scheme well and could have easily pushed for a starting job at any of the interior spots.

Barry Stokes - utility backup for the Falcons in '05, starter for the Browns in previous years. Someone Jagz knew and could have easily filled in as a starter at LG or RG.

Jon Goodwin - played some zone blocking with the Jets, and could have pushed for a starting spot at C or G.

Bob Hallen - same as Goodwin, except a lot of experience in Chargers zone schemes.

Steve Neal - Pats don't exactly play the same scheme, but adapting one of their blockers to the scheme is not hard since they are similar. A tough run blcoker at RG.

Rex Tucker - knows the scheme from his days in St. Louis. A decent starter there and in Chicago.

To think that the Packers didn't have veteran option is naive. Although only Denver and Atlanta ran this specific scheme prior to this year, other teams like Indianapolis, New England, Chicago, San Diego, St. Louis, NY Jets, and Washington employed similar enough blocking schemes that skimming players from those teams would have been acceptable.

This is why there is no need to debate it with these TT people. First there are no veterans out there. Than you get a list of veterans and they are just Journeyman.

Next is the Superstar, Hutchinson type players, and they want to much money.

So if you are not a superstar who commands to much money, you are automatically a journeyman non-effective player. You use excuses for everything and it is getting old and only shows your one-sided, TT following, faithfulness. Pudge you deserve a pat on the back my friend, great post.

I won't even argue with you and Packnic anymore because it's clear you refuse to be objective even when several posters called you on every EXCUSE you guys tried to use.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
To this day, I have not heard definitively if it was Wolf or Sherman who pulled the trigger Reynolds. Does anyone have a firm answer on this? Just curious.

Ron Wolf admitted he made that pick. He also accepted responsibility for Robert Ferguson, though he claims that he only made the pick at the urging of Sherman. Ron Wolf seems like a straight shooter, so I can't really see a reason not to believe him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Ashworth. That was the guy I wanted GB to bring in and convert to LG. He played LT at New England last year. He's got the size and moves well. He signed with Seattle. That was the one guy I felt Ted Thompson should of made a push to sign. He was never even brought in for a visit.

As for this move, I like it. Most of all I like Colledge's attitude. He's confident he'll get it back. I also like the fact that at least we're doing something. We know we have a problem so we're going to try to come up with the best possible solution to it with the players we have. I don't expect Moll to fair much better. I hope he does but I think in time Colledge, will be moved back to the #1 team.

By the way, Colledge is having trouble making a transition to guard in the NFL. In college at Boise State (which is a D-1 school that went 11-1 2 years ago) he didn't give up a sack. So he's got talent, it's just making the move to guard and learning a new scheme and picking up the NFL speed. Being from Boise State which is a good school, has nothing to do with it. He was slated to go round 2 or 3 anyways.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
All I am saying is that I would rather invest in young and talented players than marginal vets. .

Like Adrian Klemm or Matt O'Dwyer?

C'mon digs you know I support TT. I just refuse to think his poop don't stink....yet. Overall I'm alright with the job he has done.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though it means Favre may be running for his life back there at QB, DePack?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Even though it means Favre may be running for his life back there at QB, DePack?

No....I am not happy with the job he has done on the Oline. That's why I mentioned Klemm and O'Dwyer. I do think Spitz will be fine this year. I'm not so confident about Colledge. I also don't like the job he has done with the WR's but it's hard to fix everything in a year. It just sucks that Brett Favre may pay for the weaknesses he has left. He definately did not keep Brett Favre's health in mind when making these decisions, but remember Ted Thompson hasn't been a huge Packer/Favre fan that most of us have been the past 15 years. I truly believe he couldn't care less about Brett Favre, but that's just my opinion.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he doesn't care about Brett. Brett is gone soon. He cares about winning a title in 2-3 years. He wanted Brett to retire so he could put his plan on the fast track. There's nothing bad about that. Sure we're better off with Brett now, but I think having him in there now hurts our chances for winning a title in the next 5 years.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
but I think having him in there now hurts our chances for winning a title in the next 5 years.

Yeah, I Agree. Having Ted Thompson in there completely eliminates any chance of a title in the next 5 years.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see you GM a team bro, that would be the funniest **** ever.

Let's bid on every marquee free agent!

Oh ****, where did all the money go?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I'd love to see you GM a team bro, that would be the funniest **** ever.

Let's bid on every marquee free agent!

Oh ****, where did all the money go?

Uhhhh......At least be accurate on what you say buddy.

I gave a list of guys TT could have brought in. Only 1 was "Marquee."

You should probably read previous posts before using the same ol' excuse so quickly.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
kmac said:
but I think having him in there now hurts our chances for winning a title in the next 5 years.

Yeah, I Agree. Having Ted Thompson in there completely eliminates any chance of a title in the next 5 years.

Pyle you have been ****ing around with Tromadz too long. You know damn well KMAC was speaking of Brett not TT. Go pull out one of those Sherman division clinching wins and have a Corona on me.

Same time tomorrow?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...I said I would rather invest in young and talented players (Colledge/Spitz) than marginal vets.

O'Dwyer and Klemm are marginal vets. Your premise is back-asswards!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
---Welcome to PYLE and TomAllens World----

Here, money is no object.
Here, cap space is simply a place to hang your fedora.
Here, every player that is good on paper, will be good on the feild in our system.
Here, unicorns fly over magical rainbows ******** golden gumdrops for all the boys and girls.
Here, TT doesn't know what hes doing.
Here, they are right, you are wrong.
Here, children laugh and dance and sing delightful songs of merriment and wonder while dancing in chocolate rivers and playing in meadows of candy flowers.
Here, Colledge, Spitz and the rest of our team will not play well EVER again because they didnt look so hot in the first preseason game.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packnic......one of the funniest things I read in recent memory! Packula's ode to the line yesterday was the other.

What flavor are the gumdrops??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
packnic......one of the funniest things I read in recent memory! Packula's ode to the line yesterday was the other.

What flavor are the gumdrops??

Chocolate :p

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to digs' and Packnic's world.

Where they throw girly, hissy fits when
someone disagrees with them on a football
forum by showing them truth and factual evidence
that their arguments are completely WRONG!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom...you know, I have been nothing but civil in our dialogues. Vehemently disagree with you on many matters, but have not taken swipes at you. Why are you so bent out of shape that I or others should disagree with you? Seriously...I would like to know?

Is it a hissy fit to point out I would rather develop younger players than marginal FA vets? No.

Is it a hissy fit to be excited about the drafts of the last two years when others are not? No.

Is it a hissy fit to defend my position when discussing the Packers? No.

Is it a hissy fit to get in pyle's face when he chooses to call people "ignorant" when we happen to disagree? No.

Have I suggested you throw "girly hissy fits" when we do not agree? No.

Have I called you a Sherman "brown nose" because you obviousl dislike TT's moves? No.

Seems to me, you are the one throwing names and getting a little unruly.

I do not know what world you live in, but most people are gonna get a little bent being called ignorant by someone based on nothing but the fact we do not see eye-to-eye on all matters Packers.

PS I appreciate the fact that you recognize that you might have crossed the line a little bit by editing some of the more scathing aspects of your previous post. Agree to disagree, defend your positions, have fun, but come on...let's hold off on the insults. It is only football.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok..so we disagree..
so what! i don't care.
i just don't like someone
saying i believe in unicorns that
**** gumdrops...
(my unicorns **** malomars!)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I say that!! I simply like the colorful fairy-tale language that was used...big fan of the english language and appreciate those who use it well....even for dark purposes. Especially today when full-grown adults are in many cases incapable of constructing a proper sentence.

Cool, man. There is a lot to be concerned about, and we all have different opinions, let's enjoy what we have come September.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey tom, we agree on that buddy.

malomars > gumdrops.

but as far as unicorns that pass malomars. well ive never heard of such a thing. that seems like crazy talk to me.

Members online

Latest posts