Colledge backing up Clifton

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised to log in for the first time today and find nothing about yesterday's position change on the O-line: Darren Colledge is now practicing at left tackle, which was the position he played in college. I like this move because I still have this image in my mind of Chad Clifton walking around on the sidelines Saturday night with two enormous bags of ice strapped to his knees. And if Colledge doesn't back him up, we would have nobody, and I mean NOBODY else to back him up.

It's kind of funny that last week Chris Havel suggested in one of his columns that Colledge should be switched to left tackle, and all of the reader responses berated him for making such an idiotic suggestion. Seemed like a good idea to me (and a darn obvious one, at that), and apparently Mike McCarthy agrees.

Our starting O-line now appears to be set along with at least three of the backups (Chris White at C and Junius Coston at RG are the other two). Not bad, going into the third preseason game.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they now are turning to Colledge as the LT of the future for GB. Mike McCarthy put it as "He is learning the left side" and Junious Coston is learning the "right side" of the line. This kind of goes against McCarthy's talk about making young guys learn one position, but I can understand injuries, enexpected performances etc etc can make you alter your plan.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they now are turning to Colledge as the LT of the future for GB. Mike McCarthy put it as "He is learning the left side" and Junious Coston is learning the "right side" of the line. This kind of goes against McCarthy's talk about making young guys learn one position, but I can understand injuries, enexpected performances etc etc can make you alter your plan.

Yes, I think that will be McCarthy's line of thinking until some players step up at the LG and RT positions. That may or may not happen this season, but whenever it does, I suspect we will see Colledge more-or-less locked into LT and Coston locked into RG. I wonder how many more years Clifton has on his contract?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think that will be McCarthy's line of thinking until some players step up at the LG and RT positions. That may or may not happen this season, but whenever it does, I suspect we will see Colledge more-or-less locked into LT and Coston locked into RG. I wonder how many more years Clifton has on his contract?

I love Clifton and view him as a warrior, but he may be becoming a very old 30. His knees being wrapped in ice after the falcon game worries me a bit. I think it's wise to prepare for the future at this position considering its easily one of the most important on the team.

WestPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy and Jag are doing the right thing.
Use the young OL who aren't starters but show high potential as
backups.

College left side, Coston (there is still hope I guess) right side.

Good idea. Move on.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WestPack said:
McCarthy and Jag are doing the right thing.
Use the young OL who aren't starters but show high potential as
backups.

College left side, Coston (there is still hope I guess) right side.

Good idea. Move on.

Most important thing is to have what they feel is the best 5 starting. I guess right now its hard to argue that moll and spitz are the best for the job at the moment.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'm surprised to log in for the first time today and find nothing about yesterday's position change on the O-line: Darren Colledge is now practicing at left tackle, which was the position he played in college. I like this move because I still have this image in my mind of Chad Clifton walking around on the sidelines Saturday night with two enormous bags of ice strapped to his knees. And if Colledge doesn't back him up, we would have nobody, and I mean NOBODY else to back him up.

It's kind of funny that last week Chris Havel suggested in one of his columns that Colledge should be switched to left tackle, and all of the reader responses berated him for making such an idiotic suggestion. Seemed like a good idea to me (and a darn obvious one, at that), and apparently Mike McCarthy agrees.

Our starting O-line now appears to be set along with at least three of the backups (Chris White at C and Junius Coston at RG are the other two). Not bad, going into the third preseason game.

Greg, I mentioned this yesterday and somebody ripped me. Colledge is a natural tackle and not a guard. There is a huge difference. Some guys can make the adjustments and maybe Colledge could in the future but right now he is backing up Clifton. Still not a bad gig.

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliflton is a franchise tackle and so is Tausher, they'll be playing for years to come and at a high level. Not worried about those guys lineman like these guys play well into there 30's. packersnews.com said that colledge performed well at the LT position which is a good sign, I still think he will play gaurd in the end. theres a good article at jsonline.com/packers about how Wahle and Colledge have started there careers off on very similar notes. Real interesting how well you can compare the 2. Colledge will be fine and one of the better lineman out of this draft. TT had this guy #2 on there board only next to Mangold in the draft, that says alot about a guy like coming from such a good talent evaluator.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Greg, I mentioned this yesterday and somebody ripped me. Colledge is a natural tackle and not a guard. There is a huge difference. Some guys can make the adjustments and maybe Colledge could in the future but right now he is backing up Clifton. Still not a bad gig.

In the San Diego game, Colledge looked exactly like a tackle who was playing guard. He looked like he was playing too high and was not aggressive enough. He had been playing guard in the minicamps and the first two weeks of training camp, and if he still looked that unnatural in the position, he probably needed to be moved. I remember how lousy Mike Wahle was at left tackle, and how good he was at guard. Maybe Colledge will be the opposite. And I'm still wondering how much longer Clifton has on his contract. If it expires in the next two or three years, they can groom Colledge to replace him in case the price is too high.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the very least of this draft pick we can say we have a competent replacement if Clifton goes down. From all accounts he looked very good in practice at LT.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Greg C. said:

I'm with you on this. In time maybe he can make the adjustments but for now we've found out at guard he's more of a project. At tackle he's proven in college too be pretty sucessful. I rather have Colledge backing up Clifton who's dinged up and might have too miss some games than ??? Off the top of my head I can't think of the guys. Wayne Lucier maybe...

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would worry more if Clifton didn't take the precaution of wrapping both knees with ice considering both were recently operated on. I think he will be fine.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wondered about moving Colledge from LT to LG as well. Not everyone can move from one OL line position to another even if the position is the one right next to were he is playing now.
I think one of the "reasons" mentioned back on draft day was they thought he was just a bit small for the LT position. (6-4 299 vs 6-5 330 for Clifton.) More than likely is was the Packers great need at OG and that the brass felt pretty comfortable w/ Clifton holding down the fort on Brett's blindside. Add to that the fact that Colledge came out of Boise St. Not too many OL come right from Boise to start in the NFL.

Clifton is signed thru 2009. His cap salary is a little over $5 mil incl the pro rated signing bonus.

Tauscher is signed thru 2008 and his cap salary is $3.3 mil.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Clifton is signed thru 2009. His cap salary is a little over $5 mil incl the pro rated signing bonus.

Thanks for the info, wpr. Four years is too long to wait for Colledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton's contract is back-loaded and the last couple years are just for show.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
wpr said:

Thanks for the info, wpr. Four years is too long to wait for Colledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton's contract is back-loaded and the last couple years are just for show.

We have certainly seen that with Packer OL men before. This doesn't tell us anything about what is base contract will be in 2007-2009.

Name/ base/ PR signing bonus/ LTBE/ total cap/ remaining PR$B

Clifton, Chad/ 2,425,000/ 1,666,666/ 1,000,000/ 5,091,666/ 4,995,000

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts